Love button since the merger fixed?

Discussion in 'Sirius Portables' started by Ken5, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Ken5

Ken5 New Member

Immediately after the merger the love button started behaving differently on some stations and even then only on certain songs. I posted on the backstage about this and there was others with the same problem. I saw some mention of that here a while ago with the Stilletto.

Has Sirius addressed this issue with the Stilletto? I know my s50 still does it. Does Sirius say this can and will be fixed?

Thanks!

Ken

2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

The issue is on the song and not the unit. If it doesn't work on the S50, it will not love on the SL2 or SL100 either. It is having problems on unconverted songs originating in the XM library.

3. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Still an issue. If it's originating from XM's library, it doesn't have the right code in it to be recognized by Sirius Tuners. This could be fixed if they went through all the music and changed the info manually, or just used one library, but. I doubt this will happen soon...

4. Ken5

Ken5 New Member

Thanks Guys!

I think that all people who bought the s50 and stiletto should start a class action suit. We bought these radios for what they were designed to do and now they are not delivering. So how is Sirius currently advertising the fact that Stiletto's can record songs?

5. bhall238

bhall238 New Member

Tell me where to sign up on the class action suit. It's obvious from my e-mails and phone calls to the "technical" help desk that either the people at Sirius have no idea what I am talking about or they do know and just don't care. Maybe a little harsh but that's the feeling I get. I've been a Sirius subscriber for almost 4 years and got my Stilleto 2 for Christmas. The button doesn't work maybe 95 % of the time on Sirius 74 "Bluesville", the station I listen to most. Other stations seem to work better, but not 100%. I was told do a device reset, that they are working on this problem and lastly do a device reset.

Has anyone done a device reset and accomplished anything other than erase the library that at the rate this button works probably took forever to fill?

6. snakester

snakester Member

*sigh*. Do some people WANT the company to die? The hundred bucks or so you'll get out of a class action suit isn't worth putting another nail in SiriXM's coffin... class action suits are incredibly costly for companies because of the high lawyer fees involved.I'm not as hyped about them as I used to be, but I don't see needless lawsuits against them being a good idea when they're clinging to life as it is. That money you'd get from the class settlement isn't gonna do you too good on a radio that'll be a paperweight...

7. Ken5

Ken5 New Member

I am not one for suing and I would hope that one would not need to, but I am aware that many people, including myself, have been complaining to Sirius about this issue and nothing has been done. When we bought these radios, and those that are STILL buying these radios, we had/have the promise of its advertised use. Sirius can address these issues. As another user stated they listen to blues, I listen to what is now bluegrass junction and I can only record maybe 1 out of 15 songs. Some of these songs that I can no longer record were played on the Sirius bluegrass channel! If it is just a matter of using the available converted Sirius content then why don't they choose these over the XM version at the very least? With the promise of this feature Sirius should at some point soon start converting the XM content that was not played on Sirius before. Seems like a better alternative to paying lawyers. Why should anyone that payed $300.00 + for their radios just say "oh well?"

8. IdRatherBeSkiing

I don't think a suit would work as the radio still works and receives the service with some degradation. Same thing with the logos. So most of us will still just stew about it and accept that we will likely never have a logo for the 80s on 8 or love a song from The Bridge (at least while it is around).

9. Ken5

Ken5 New Member

Forget the suit, what about what is right and wrong? I know when I purchased my s50 I had the choice to get a free radio which was a good radio, which actually did some things better than the s50, or get the s50 for a few hundred bucks because it was promised it would record content. So the fact that it still plays the radio does not mean that much to me as I spent the extra money just for this feature.

Plus... Sirius to this day right on their site are advertising that you can record music with the Stilettos! Not entirely true/

10. IdRatherBeSkiing

It has improved greatly since November. I am as pissed off as you but I see nothing that can be done. With the frequent device recoveries required due to memory corruption with the SL2, the value of a loved song has decreased somewhat for me.

11. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

This is a big frustration and I emailed some people again about this.

12. snakester

snakester Member

A combination of the fact that the XM music library is many magnitudes of order larger than the Sirius one, and the fact they are considering moving operations from NY (Siri studios) to Washington DC (XM studios).

I can't think of any reason why they'd put such a foolish limitation in place on the radios in the first place (the XMp3 will allow you to record ANYTHING, my guess is so people wouldn't complain that talk shows they "loved" were taking up their music space) but it's REALLY come back to bite them in the ass, I agree with you there.

13. TheScionicMan

TheScionicMan Last non-Hating Stern Fan

It seems like it is some particular channels that won't do a simple LOVE, they want a Start/Stop.

The most annoying glitch in this is that Howard101 will show up in my S50's My Channels, because it picks up the info in the songs Ferrall plays in the background. It doesn't record the song, just snippets of the show and then it wipes out space that my other My Channels were using. This has been going on since before the Merge, btw...

14. DaddyCanI

DaddyCanI New Member

The shame of it is that it should be a relatively easy fix. I'm not a software engineer by any means (I design interfaces for a living), but I'd have a hard time believing that the script necessary to go through a given library & change a tag from "Not OK to Record" to "OK to record" would be a few lines at best. Turn it loose on the library, go have a sandwich, come back and it's done.

Shoot, even if Sirius is using any kind of database to organize their libraries, even manually changing the relevant database field would be a simple job (simple as changing a 0 to a 1 for all fields in a given table).

I've been lurking in DRC and SBS for a long time now, and have become convinced - it's not about something being hard to do, it's about whether it's a priority or not.

For example, take the channel logos - displayed differently on the SL2 depending on whether you're listening via satellite or internet. From a device perspective, it's not any harder at all to display one side's logos over the other. The interface doesn't care which graphic it's given - it just loads the picture that it's told to. Replace the pictures, you replace the logos. Simple. Again, in all likelihood it's a five minute job for someone on the SL2 software engineering team. The problem is that they clearly have other priorities.

Another example: when I signed up for BOXM, it was five minutes before my device updated itself with the new channels & names. However, one month after replacing Cinemagic with The Stobe, my device still says "Cinemagic." Is it any harder to change channel 196 to XM Public Radio than it is to change channel 81 to The Strobe? Not at all. It's just not a priority for them, so it doesn't get done.

If I had to guess, I'd say that something has happened in the last six months inside the SL2 group. Either they've had some massive turnover, or some massive layoffs, or something dramatic has happened, but they are clearly not maintaining the device. Who knows? Maybe their just giving up on the SL2 and putting their eggs in the SL3 or iPhone basket.

15. dlnester

dlnester Active Member

Each song is given a numerical code on Sirius and this his how the Artist/Song Seek works and how to record or tag a song on Sirius. The XM Library doesn't have this.

Also, on the Sirius Library is will say "OMD" for Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, and on XM it would simply say Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (well to the character limit it could show it) and now you have both mixed together. I think they need to tank the entire libraries for both and setup a new, shared library that is consistent but I bet that is a hell of a task in itself.

16. snakester

snakester Member

Thats' a different animal. It's not so much that they don't WANT to, it's that to do the updates they have to push a channel map out to the radios. This causes a couple of problems:

A: Some built in factory Sirius tuners (mostly in Fords) have something akin to a heart attack when these are pushed, requiring resets or visits to the dealership.

B: It interrupts your programming for about 5 minutes while the update is done. not a big deal to most, but a lot of the more zealous Howard Stern fans cry when they turn their radio on in the morning and they have to miss five or so minutes of the show.:rolleyes:

C: It involves effort, something Sirius time and time again has proven they do not wish to exert.