Looking to buy a new PDA!

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
So I'm in the market to buy a new PDA. I work with a few people that have Blackberry's and I wouldn't mind going that route. However, I really like the HTC Fuze! I wouldn't mind an iPhone but I want something more customizable. Does anyone know if a new Blackberry for AT&T is on the horizon? Oh, and I want to stay with AT&T but I am open to switching carriers. I am out of my contract.

IDEAS? Influence me DRC!!!!!

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Well, I get a good deal with AT&T on my data plan and text and whatnot. So, I want to be able to surf the web, check emails (both work and personal) and be able to post on my blog. Also, I really like MS mobile with being able to customize apps and whatnot. I have been researching the fuze really hard and I like it a lot! Any pros to having the blackberry I should be aware of as far as customizing it?

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I love my iPhone. Highly customizable especially when you "jailbreak" it. I use it to listen to Slacker all the time as well.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
My PDA was dying last December, and I wasn't really impressed with the PDA's that are out there now, so I decided to bite the bullet and go with a smart phone. I'm on Verizon, and aside from their nickle and dime billing, I like the service. I did a lot of research and came down to the HTC, the Blackberry Storm, and the Samsung Omnia. After trying them out, I picked up the Omnia. It's an awesome phone. The touch screen is great, the keyboard is easier to use than the Storm's, and you can use a stylus to hand write. (I take my notes in meetings and post to the DRC with it.) A fair number of apps, but of course, nobody comes close to the amount of apps the iPhone has.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
The one disadvantage to smart phones of any kind is the nickel and dime charges for data plans and such. My bill is the wrong side of $100 a month for unlimited data, text and 450 minutes of talk. But the unlimited packages are well worth it.

As far as jailbreaking, I haven't done it. The phone pretty much does what I want it to do, and iPhone 3.0 will make it moreso when it comes out in June. 3G is faster than I was expecting it to be, and they're expanding the network pretty regularly. It cracks me up when I compare my iphone to my old Palm IV PDA, and the leaps and bounds technology has made in PDA/Smartphone technology.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's amazing how what once was cutting edge is now brick technology.

I had one of those Casio 155's (or something like that) as my first PDA.
I think I've since seen them tied to gas station rest room keys to keep people from stealing the key.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I'm a fan of the Blackberry. For PIM, email, etc., it can't be beat, IMHO. Intense web browsing has its limitations, but I usually near a computer so I don't worry about it too much.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I personally prefer a separate device rather than having an all in one, which is why I have a thin Razr 2 and then use the iPod Touch for my PDA. Calendars and contacts sycn via push from Google, which is where I have the company domain for email setup. I get alerts, I can do email, take notes, create to do list, plus you get the music, streaming with all the apple applications. I find it to work GREAT! I never leave the office without it. Sometimes it saves me having to lug a notebook for quick meetings and such which is GREAT! It does require Wifi, though I am fortunately because in every office I have business there has been wifi, hotel rooms, coffee shops etc. Its worked out very well, so no extra data plans and I could not be happier. My cell phone bill is about $50 bucks a month, because I don't have to pay them suckers for a data plan.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
It's amazing how what once was cutting edge is now brick technology.

I had one of those Casio 155's (or something like that) as my first PDA.
I think I've since seen them tied to gas station rest room keys to keep people from stealing the key.

I had one of the original Palm devices when they were first introduced. It was nice for its time, but a far cry from the iPhone or Blackberry.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I personally prefer a separate device rather than having an all in one, which is why I have a thin Razr 2 and then use the iPod Touch for my PDA. Calendars and contacts sycn via push from Google, which is where I have the company domain for email setup. I get alerts, I can do email, take notes, create to do list, plus you get the music, streaming with all the apple applications. I find it to work GREAT! I never leave the office without it. Sometimes it saves me having to lug a notebook for quick meetings and such which is GREAT! It does require Wifi, though I am fortunately because in every office I have business there has been wifi, hotel rooms, coffee shops etc. Its worked out very well, so no extra data plans and I could not be happier. My cell phone bill is about $50 bucks a month, because I don't have to pay them suckers for a data plan.

Yeah, I didn't really want an all in one smart phone. I was also getting tired of carrying around so many gadgets and chargers and whatnot. (one of the reasons I haven't gotten a slacker yet.)

I didn't really want work to be able to find me 24/7! But it really hasn't been a problem at all. The office pays for my data and a bit of my phone bill too. So I still end up ahead on the deal. Now I can post to the DRC from anywhere! So I can keep up with my post whoring! Win win!

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
Well, on Saturday I went out and got an HTC fuze! I love the thing. I haven't removed the AT&T bloatware yet but it's still super fast and very awesome! I will be removing all the unnecessary junk off of it tonight and adding my favorite apps.