Looking for a good book recommendation

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I have the next two weeks off from work, and I'm looking for a good book to read. Any suggestions?

I'd prefer the book to be fairly recent, say within the last 5-7 years or so (no "classics" like Catcher in the Rye). Other than that, anything goes. Any recommendations are appreciated :bigthumbup:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
"I Am a Strange Loop" by Douglas Hofstadter. It's kind of a sequel to his "Godel, Escher, Bach". It explores how the "self" arises from inanimate matter.

"How Rome Fell" by Adrian Goldsworthy. All superpowers fall. We need to know how that happens.

Reactions: AJ_II

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
Right now I am reading "Kill Bin Laden" by Dalton Fury (not his real name of course) about the Delta Force mission at Tora Bora to hunt down, and kill Bin Laden. Pretty good read so far.

Reactions: AJ_II

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I was going to go for Penthouse Forums. . . . but thought you might be looking for something a little more cerebral.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
"Lamb: The gospel according to Biff" is pretty damned hilarious.

Agree. This book is 100% hilarious.

Here are a few recommendations:

1. The 7 Deadly Wonders by Matthew Reilly--this is a true just veg out and read book, packed with action, VERY loose and some made up facts but it is sort of a supercharged Indiana Jones type story. Again, no masterful work of literary genius but an enjoyable book nonetheless. The sequel, 6 Sacred Stones is good too.

2. Caught Stealing--The first book in the Hank Thompson trilogy by one of my favorite authors, Charlie Huston. Very violent and fun. Great characters. The resto fthe trilogy is great too, Six Bad Things and A Dangerous Man.

3. Lunar Park--Bret Easton Ellis. A great book about self involvemnt and descent into madness and then regret and redemption.

4. House of Leaves--Mark Z. Danielewski. One of the strangest, creepiest and just oddest books ever. A great read though.