Listening to stiletto through speakers

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I had an idea this morning. Most of you probably already know this, but I thought I would share.

I listen to recorded content every day at work, but I get tired of wearing headphones all day. I was looking into some speakers, or possibly getting a boombox or a soloist, etc.....

Sitting on my desk at work is an AM/FM alarm clock with CD player that I used to use before I got sirius. I still use use it for Bubba's terrestrial show.

Anyway, here was my idea: If my stiletto car dock accepts the standard 5V power jack then I can bring it into my office. SO I ran out to the car, got the dock, plugged it into the wall, popped in the stiletto, flipped on the FM transmitter and BAM! Listening over my radio without buying any extra accessories.

And, surprisingly enough, the dock does not have to be near the radio, it works from 10 feet away or more.

So, if you haven't thought of this, I figured I'd share. Enjoy.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
The SL2 home dock does not have an FM transmitter. I think the SL100 dock did but I am not 100% sure.

My brother (SL100) says he listens through FM at work on the home dock. I tried to turn it on and change freq at home, and failed. He said he does it with the remote. I'll have to try that.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My brother (SL100) says he listens through FM at work on the home dock. I tried to turn it on and change freq at home, and failed. He said he does it with the remote. I'll have to try that.

There is an FM button on the SL2 remote but it doesn't seem to do anything. I think the SL100 and SL2 remote are the same.

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
Using the car dock is ok but,
It’s a pain to take in and out of your car everyday
The Antenna connector will wear out from connecting and disconnecting and you will need to buy a new car dock.
There are many office type solutions.
Use the Stiletto by itself.
Get a Male to Male Stereo cable and connect it to an aux input of a boom box or mic input on you office computer. (true Stereo is much better than the mono FM transmitter)
If you have them, use some computer speakers or buy a cheap set from Wal-mart/K-Mart
Above options are much cheaper than buying a new car dock in a few months.
I drive a fork lift truck and use a set of Sony Battery amplified speakers. (about 5 watts) I think I paid $19.95 for them.
The speakers use AA batteries and I have 8 NiMH batteries and a charger at work I’ve been using everyday for the last three years. The speakers are held together with a bracket I made and I use a belt clip to hold my Stiletto to the speakers. The whole set-up fits kind of through the cage on the top of my lift truck and is right above me. I listen to recorded, Stern, Bubba, Nascar Radio all day at work.

JYJr

Nov 9, 2008
Alexandria, VA
I believe IRBS is right. The SL100/10 home docks have fm transmitters, the SL2 home docks don't.

I have the SL10 and my home dock transmits my Stiletto to FM receivers in other rooms in my apartment. So I can listen in my bedroom & bathroom while my Stiletto stays connected to my receiver in the living room. Granted, the tranmitter isn't THAT powerful - if I had a big house, it probably wouldn't carry a signal farther than an adjoining room. I didn't realize that the SL2 did NOT have an FM transmitter in the home dock. Another reason I'm glad I didn't "upgrade"...

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Yeah, I checked my home dock, and it does indeed have an FM transmitter (SL100). It's not very powerful. I can't even get reception on my stereo 10 feet away. However, for sitting on my desk at work, this should be perfect.

So I just went to TSS-RADIO and ordered another home cradle for work. In the meantime, I am just using the car cradle at work.

JYJr

Nov 9, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, I checked my home dock, and it does indeed have an FM transmitter (SL100). It's not very powerful. I can't even get reception on my stereo 10 feet away. However, for sitting on my desk at work, this should be perfect.

So I just went to TSS-RADIO and ordered another home cradle for work. In the meantime, I am just using the car cradle at work.

At work, I just plug my computer speakers into the back of the home dock. The dock has both line-in and line-out so you can run the audio from the computer into the dock so that the speakers can be used for both the computer and the Stiletto at the same time...

At home, I have used portable speakers with the home dock before. You can get decent ones for about 25 bucks...