Listening to stern daily is getting old... thoughts?

dpav02

Dec 13, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I find the shows generally entertaining, however I just feel like sometimes its the same thing over and over... in the first hour its wrap-up show / Artie talk and Stern commenting about current events. Then stern will take a call about how great Howard TV is (I HATE the Howard TV plugs and the radio shows that seem to be made for Howard TV such as Miss Howard TV) followed by a fake staff fight or argument. Has anybody else noticed that on light days there is some problem between staff members? I bet most of those are planned.

The interviews don't interest me anymore, I don't know if I'm getting older or what, but I just don't care about T.I.'s 3 wives and how big his penis is. Robin's news segment is rarely funny to me. Also lately, the contests that they have are not interesting (hottest funniest girl).

I used to listen to O&A and liked them a lot, however I don't feel that the extra money for best of xm is worth it for O&A because that would be the only best of channel I would tune into.

I guess my question is, is anybody else kind of bored with the stern show? Maybe I am brunt out of listening daily for the past year?

Also, for the long-time stern fans, were the shows better on FM even if they were edited? Just curious.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I'm sure you'll find 100 people here who agree with you that the show is boring or stale. Some will even say worse thing. ;) Me? I'm a fairly new listener so I still enjoy the show but I take it for what it is. A show. It's got a format that they usually stick to that you just pointed out. Maybe they need to shake it up a bit? Who knows. I know if I don't like whats on Stern at the moment I just change to another channel.

Oct 29, 2008
Agreed with OP. No one is making you listen to it everyday. Don't listen as often. Once a week is generally good enough for me. Sometimes it is less then that. Besides he won't be around much longer. Mine as well start milking your way off listening to the show.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
I can be very critical of the current state of the show, but when the show is good, as it was this past week, I can feel good about talking it up with the rest of the people on the DRC. I liked the Hottest/Funniest chick contest. It didn't require a lot of calories burned by Howard or anyone else, they just had to kind of sit back and enjoy the talented women tell funny stories and crack wise. A couple of the news segments this past week were way above average. I can't remember what day it was from but I liked when Howard made fun of the Jonas Brothers song. His subsequent attempts at making up library songs was pretty lame, but his initial Jonas Brothers improv was funny.

If you're dissatisfied with the show you should try listening to other shows. There are lots of great talk shows out there to be discovered. Perhaps you should come back to the Stern show every once in a while to keep it fresh for yourself.

Reactions: semipenguin

dpav02

Dec 13, 2008
That is a really good idea. Does anybody have suggestions as to good morning talk shows? Something dealing with current events and perhaps light politics. Nothing too heavy.

Suggestions?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
That is a really good idea. Does anybody have suggestions as to good morning talk shows? Something dealing with current events and perhaps light politics. Nothing too heavy.

Suggestions?

According to Howard, this man's contract is bankrupting KLSX and their plans to go to an exclusive music format. I've listened to his show every day since Howard moved to satellite(I listen to both shows). I find him extremely funny. Give him a few weeks.

When Howard was busting on Jay Leno, Adam had Jay Leno on the show.

He has free podcasts.
Adam Carolla - Homepage

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I find the shows generally entertaining, however I just feel like sometimes its the same thing over and over... in the first hour its wrap-up show / Artie talk and Stern commenting about current events. Then stern will take a call about how great Howard TV is (I HATE the Howard TV plugs and the radio shows that seem to be made for Howard TV such as Miss Howard TV) followed by a fake staff fight or argument. Has anybody else noticed that on light days there is some problem between staff members? I bet most of those are planned.

The interviews don't interest me anymore, I don't know if I'm getting older or what, but I just don't care about T.I.'s 3 wives and how big his penis is. Robin's news segment is rarely funny to me. Also lately, the contests that they have are not interesting (hottest funniest girl).

I used to listen to O&A and liked them a lot, however I don't feel that the extra money for best of xm is worth it for O&A because that would be the only best of channel I would tune into.

I guess my question is, is anybody else kind of bored with the stern show? Maybe I am brunt out of listening daily for the past year?

Also, for the long-time stern fans, were the shows better on FM even if they were edited? Just curious.

Well, if you don't like Howard and do like O&A, you could cancel your Sirius sub and get an XM sub. Every music channel is standard across both services, though you won't be able to get Sirius's sports channels.

As for other morning shows, I can't help you, but Ron and Fez on XM middays is an excellent show and fill your criteria perfectly. I listened to them all the time when they were on DTV, but that channel has been removed from the DTV lineup since the merger was completed. I'm almost willing to get the Best Of for them, though they do make their show available for download.

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio

Same here. I used to be a huge Howard fan. I could wait to get home and listen to the recorded show on my Stiletto. I'd listen that same day then I'd erase the show. Then right around the whole wedding thing I noticed my Howard recordings where getting backed up. I suddenly had almost a week and a half worth of shows and I had o desire to try to catch up. It's when the light went on...Howard doesn't want to put any effort into the show and neither do I!

I'm not hating on the Howard fans. If your experience is different and you still enjoy the show, that's cool! The first time I had doubts about the show I thought, "Yeah, but it's still better than anything else out there." It probably is but it's no longer worth my time.

That's my story....sad but true.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH

Suggestions?

After researching, I found this show to be on SIRIUS channel 108.

Me & Vinnie with Vinnie Politan
Weekdays 6 - 9 am, 9 - 12 am & 12 - 3 am ET

Every morning, Vinnie Politan takes the country's pulse from a guy’s point of view, taking calls and shining a spotlight on their reactions to breaking news, entertainment, issues and buzz. A former prosecutor and Court TV reporter and anchor for many years, Politan brings an informative and entertaining journalistic insight to SIRIUS Stars Too.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
You know, after the last couple of years, I've gotten sick of watching Saturday Night Live. They always open with a skit that is parodying something in the news with the person ending the skit by announcing that it's LIVE FROM NEW YORK IT"S SATURDAY NIGHT. God, that gets old. Then they usually have some host do a monologue, then a parody commercial, then a real commercial, followed by a few skits. Then the Musical Guest performs and then weekend update, followed by a couple of more skits that usually are a little racier because it is after midnight and then the hosts thanks everyone and the show ends. God---How predictable.

Have you ever also noticed how all of these cop shows are all the same? They find a dead body, do a bunch of talking with potential suspects of which one always looks GUILTY but it turns out that it is the mousy quiet type guy that killed her and they always figure it out exactly 52 minutes into the episode. CRAZY.

The Howard Stern show is a show that has always dwelled in current events and making fun of celebrities and quirky guests. I don't know why a TIME format should bother you so much. IT isn't the format, it is the content within the format.

Seriously, I often wonder if ANYONE enjoys the Stern show or just listens to complain.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
According to Howard, this man's contract is bankrupting KLSX and their plans to go to an exclusive music format. I've listened to his show every day since Howard moved to satellite(I listen to both shows). I find him extremely funny. Give him a few weeks.

When Howard was busting on Jay Leno, Adam had Jay Leno on the show.

He has free podcasts.
Adam Carolla - Homepage

I agree with you regarding Adam Corrolla's show. Takes a little time, but worth it. Same with Bubba.

Howard accusing Adam's contract of bankrupting KLSX is just another example of people ripping off the great Stern. Howard was bankrupting Sirius at least a year or more before Adam was doing his station in. ;)

Elwood

Dec 3, 2008
I can't believe what I'm hearing, you guys are nuts. I've been listening for years and the HSS is better than ever. The move to sirius didn't just allow them to say fuck on air, it opened anything and everything up for unfiltered discussion.

Where else can you get honest, topical, strong opinions on pussy, race, politics, entertainment, workplace strife, marriage, drugs, hookers, and celebrities - every day?

What exactly isn't funny? Editing together celebrity audio books? My turban is dirty? Artie calling Howard a pelican? Naked chicks? Turning a petcock into a week long roast of Ronnie?

My guess is you guys are casual listeners and that's fine, but for anyone who actually listens to the show regularly what you are saying is crazy.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I can't believe what I'm hearing, you guys are nuts. I've been listening for years and the HSS is better than ever. The move to sirius didn't just allow them to say fuck on air, it opened anything and everything up for unfiltered discussion.

Where else can you get honest, topical, strong opinions on pussy, race, politics, entertainment, workplace strife, marriage, drugs, hookers, and celebrities - every day?

What exactly isn't funny? Editing together celebrity audio books? My turban is dirty? Artie calling Howard a pelican? Naked chicks? Turning a petcock into a week long roast of Ronnie?

My guess is you guys are casual listeners and that's fine, but for anyone who actually listens to the show regularly what you are saying is crazy.

Elwood==I'm with you 100%.

What really kills me is that the same people that bitch about the show sucking and just not being any good are also the same people that bitch the loudest when he's on vacation because they don't have a live show to listen to....and then bitch about how it's not any good.

I too feel the show is a good as it's ever been. People tend to romanticize things that happened long ago and I feel like this happens with Stern too. They seem to remember it being funnier "back in the day" but it really wasn't.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I noticed the other day that Wrap Up Show was going to feature how Sal came to write some song about getting pissed on. In the begining, the WUS had juicy interviews or other real happenings to hash over and often had an interviewee on the show. It was fun. It is a reflection of the daily show when the WUS starts off on antics of staff members (excepting Artie, who is somebody). However, when Howard wants to.. he can still light up the place with his brilliance. I still like the Sirius show more than the network but I'm into fingers crossed.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I listen longer and more often now then ever and I've been listening since he came to boston in 93 or 94.

American Nightmare by Rob Zombie (or whatever the stern song is) is the song I've woken up to for years and years.

It's going to be a real kick in the face reality check when that stops happening.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I get fatigued at times, it's roughly 18 or so hours a week, that's not including repeats on the weekend if your a dedicated listener. Vacations I gladly welcome, as I do the first Monday back live. The artie lying stuff really tired me out, and it took a couple of days for me to get over it. Looking forward to a couple weeks off, with nothing to listen to but the history part 2. It does get boring at times, but, in 2 years when I'm left with reality tv, sorry ass feature films, other bad local radio shows, I'll miss the show tons. Hopefully satellite radio is still around.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

The quality of the show has diminished and there is no denying that. It used to be The Howard Stern Show now its the Stern Morning Zoo, he has become what he despised. :zz:

Still worth listening though for some of the interviews, Brad Garret, Chevy, Rae & Ben Stern...... Still the best radio on sat rad or terrestrial radio if just for the interviews. :clap: