Likes and dislikes post channel update

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
Figured this would be a good time to start a thread like this. Within one hour as I post this our channels will be consolidated and rearranged. So, for those Sirius and XM subs, let's hear what you like and dislike about the channels you were once used to now and replaced w/ the others equivalent of them. I think XM subs have the most change to deal with, but I'm really curious as a whole (and probably others) how this goes over once it's live.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
NO DISCO CHANNEL. I might cancel. Very dissapointing. Seems like they might not be screwing with the Big 80s (excuse me...dumb 80s on 8) but I'm not sure. They better keep the 80s countdown with Nina Blackwood. That's another sticking point musically.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well thus far I am one happy camper. It seems just about every channel I liked on Sirius is now on XM. Even The Doctor Channel is on XM now. Seems many of the artist from Disorders are showing up on some of the other channels.

I will be canceling my Sirius sub tomorrow and will keep my XM OEM and XpressRC.

The update gets a thumps up from me! Too bad not everyone is as happy as I am, but I guess that is the breaks in life.

I am also enjoying the new channel icons that are download on my XpressRC right now, the decades icons are really cool looking on the RC.

bwaldron

Oct 18, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
I am also enjoying the new channel icons that are download on my XpressRC right now, the decades icons are really cool looking on the RC.

I've got an XpressRC arriving tomorrow, to replace an ancient Sportster in my car (last Sirius radio I had...cancelled it earlier today).

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
No major complaints from a Sirius sub here.

Just listening to Octane and hearing the new sweepers, and checking out a few new stations, and things sound a bit cleaner all around for me. I see the totally killed the sq on some channels, like the former maxim radio, now named "siri 108". It still is playing maxim, but the SQ is traffic/weather or indie talk quality now.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've got an XpressRC arriving tomorrow, to replace an ancient Sportster in my car (last Sirius radio I had...cancelled it earlier today).

You will enjoy the XpressRC. I think it is the best sat radio ever made in my opinion.

AZJoe

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sirius did not include XM's old skool R&B channel, The Groove, in the update- stupid move!! Not only did they get rid of Backspin (the old skool hip hop and rap channel) they didnt pick up what could have been a great addition from XM!! Just plain stupid!!! :mad:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
NO DISCO CHANNEL. I might cancel. Very dissapointing. Seems like they might not be screwing with the Big 80s (excuse me...dumb 80s on 8) but I'm not sure. They better keep the 80s countdown with Nina Blackwood. That's another sticking point musically.

I haven't been much of a fan of XM's channel names. They're either too obvious, or too obscure

40's on 4
50's on 5
60's on 6 (What's wrong with 60's Vibrations?)
70's on 7 (Totally 70's? Do you really need the "on" bit to tell you where it is?)

At least with Lithium, or Hard Attack you know what it plays. Can anyone, outside of XM junkies, tell me what Ethel or Lucy play without looking it up? Lucy sounds like a Beatles channel, if you ask me.

And the other thing I don't like is the "xL" markings. What, are you that much of an idiot you don't realize that on uncensored radio, Howard 100, The Virus, or any of the rock channels, you might hear some bad language? That smells like XM had to appease someone (clear channel?) in order to do that.

I'm not a big fan of the "programmed by" channels...shouldn't those channels be programmed by XM, SiriusXM, or whatever the hell they're calling themselves these days?

Last edited:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
If I was purely a Sirius subscriber, I'd be ticked off since I basically got nothing new or of interest from either the "best of" and/or the great shuffling. So basically, for all considering Sat Rad this holiday season, get XM w/ the Best of Sirius.

And thank god XM didn't get Hits 1, because combined, the crew of the morning mash-up might just equal the brain power of Lindsay Lohan. 20 on 20 blows it away on every single level.

Schlep

Nov 10, 2008
schlep.sexykula.com
Lithium is only the biggest hits of the 90's that received incredibly disproportionate air time. Sirius XMU played Bruce Springsteen.

Yeah, I'm not happy.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Lithium is only the biggest hits of the 90's that received incredibly disproportionate air time. Sirius XMU played Bruce Springsteen.

Yeah, I'm not happy.

Considering that a bunch of the music channels are basically the same, what exactly are the major differences between Sirius with BOXM and XM with Best of Sirius?

XM has the Clear Channel programmed stuff.
A bunch of the news/talk is on both.
Baseball is XM-exclusive as of right now.

Another dislike of mine is the logos. Once again, people with Stilettos get the new channels with generic Sirius logos for the music channels that were formerly just on XM. If you're going to take the time to drag the music channels over, what about the logos?

Schlep

Nov 10, 2008
schlep.sexykula.com
Not a lot, honestly. About the only differences that are readily apparent to me are Sporting News Radio (Sirius), Fox Sports Radio (XM), and America Left being a better channel than Sirius Left. Maybe I'm just tired, but they look 99% identical.

Superman07

Oct 27, 2008
I find the change of Left of Center to Sirius XM U to be strange. However, if the music is staying relatively the same then I'm okay with that. I wouldn't mind seeing some influence from XM 31 (or was it 29?).

tdunlapjr

Nov 12, 2008
Time to switch back to XM OEM?

So with the "merge" in place with the channels today, will anyone be dropping their Sirius radios in favor of activating their vehicle's XM OEM radio??? My wife loves the music channels on Sirius, but the 2007 Honda has XM built-in. She'd like me to remove the Sirius radio and use the XM unit if the music channels are the same. Also, does anyone know that if we activate the XM radio that we'll be eligible for discounted pricing (we already have three Sirius subscriptions)?

Thanks! Love the forums!!

Terry

Superman07

Oct 27, 2008
Wow, I just realized XM has pretty much all of the Sirius stations I listen to including Radio 1! If you're an XM subscriber I'd say you just got a very nice addition of channels.

BluesGuy

Nov 10, 2008
has anyone seen Ghosty (the former morning man on Disorder) on another channel?? I'd like to keep listening to him.

Looks like the annoying Early Times is removed from the Blues channel, I have to rejoice at that.

Vin is on The Loft now, and it appears from the Sirius email I got this morning that David Johansen's Mansion Of Fun is going there as well. That was major worrying point. The MoF is a huge part of my life and I didn't want to see it go away.

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
You will enjoy the XpressRC. I think it is the best sat radio ever made in my opinion.

I agree entirely. Last weekend, I switched my subscription back to my XpressRC from my Inno just because I missed the great lookng display and other features such as the split-screen and pause-rewind.

I'm liking the new channel lineup so much that I am considering purchasing one of those XMp3 receivers now. Maybe I'll ask Santa.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I find the change of Left of Center to Sirius XM U to be strange. However, if the music is staying relatively the same then I'm okay with that. I wouldn't mind seeing some influence from XM 31 (or was it 29?).

Left of Center was a bit mis-named, IMO. XMU tells me that it has something to do with "University" just like MTVU or ESPNU and it's in the music channel lineup, so there you go.

Does not "LOC" sound a bit political?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So with the "merge" in place with the channels today, will anyone be dropping their Sirius radios in favor of activating their vehicle's XM OEM radio??? My wife loves the music channels on Sirius, but the 2007 Honda has XM built-in. She'd like me to remove the Sirius radio and use the XM unit if the music channels are the same. Also, does anyone know that if we activate the XM radio that we'll be eligible for discounted pricing (we already have three Sirius subscriptions)?

Thanks! Love the forums!!

Terry

I may be mistaken, but I think at this point the XM radio would be $12.99 a month. You may be better off getting a car kit for the Sirius and doing things that way.

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008
I'm a Sirius subscriber and right now, I'm annoyed. I am dissapointed that Backspin is gone. I like old school 80's-early 90's rap but I have no interest in the more recent offerings on Hip-Hop nation.

I also don't like that Buzzsaw was replaced by Boneyard. Its AC/DC radio for the moment, I hope its basically a name change only when it returns. My wife has XM in her Honda and I found it to be a bizarre mash of Buzzsaw, Hair Nation, and Hard Attack - thus redundant for Sirius - and not in a good way.

Are the decade channels much different? Same Sirius DJ's? I listen mostly to the 80's but sometimes the 70's as well.

I truly hope that many of these changes are in staion name only. I loved Sirius' breakdown, it was incredibly similar to my Ipod playlists. I could leave a channel on for 45 minutes and never hear a song I didn't like. In my wife's car, I am constantly channel surfing to find good music. I don't think I've stayed on the same XM channel for more than 2 consecutive songs.

I'm giving this a while to get used to it, but if too much XM stuff was moved over, I'm cancelling and sticking to CD's and Ipod for the car.