Lifetime Subscription & Internet Radio Issue

tdkcanada

Apr 14, 2009
Am I the only one who has this issue?

I'm furious with Sirius. I've attached an email I received from them in February. Based on the email, I upgraded to a Sirius lifetime subscription with the understanding that I would no longer have to pay for the "CD quality" Internet stream. The person I talked to at Sirius when I upgraded the subscription even told me to call and 'cancel my premium Internet service' prior to March 11th, which I did.

But I have had nothing but problems with Internet Radio since I upgraded to the lifetime subscription. One day its the premium stream (after I call and argue with them), the next I'm billed for it, the day after (when I call to complain, and I get a credit), then I'm back to the 32K stream, and so and so forth, etc. etc. etc.

Now, the language doesn't specifically say that they are upgrading to the 128K stream, but I tell you after numerous calls (I've talked to 14 customer service, and I use that term lightly, representatives) that this is what *should* be happening.

What was offered, and what I subscribed to was a lifetime subscription for my radio, and the 128K Internet stream for no additional $.

The latest I've been told, by the last 4 people there I've talked to at Sirius, is that this *apparently* will be resolved on April 28th.

I upgraded to Lifetime partly because I felt like it would help the company get through the merger and help prevent bankruptcy. But the way they have handled this is utterly irresponsible. The service they provide is entertainment - there is nothing entertaining to have to call and argue with every single customer service agent I've had the pleasure of speaking to.

Their silence on this, when it is clear they've dropped the ball, is unforgivable.

Attachments

• sirius.jpg
    sirius.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 47

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Unfortunatly the wording does not say that. It says if you renew before 03/11, you will retain free internet. If you do not, after 03/11, the only stream available to you will be the $2.99/mo premium one.

Welcome to DRC. The simple solution to your problem is to return to paying for your premium internet stream or accept the free 32k stream.

tdkcanada

Apr 14, 2009
The kicker is that out of the myriad of customer service reps I've talked to, 3 of them have now told me that yes, I should have the 128K stream. But "the upgrade" has taken longer, and they extended the offer for people to update their subscriptions by another month.

So, on the phone a few people have told me that yes, I should have it. And they've given it to me. For brief periods I've had the 128K stream. But they I get billed for it, so I call again, argue with someone new...

It's a ridiculous cycle.

Oh yeah - I've also sent a few emails through the customer service contact page on the website. Useless there as well. They haven't even bothered to respond.

:bigahh:

WERA689

Mar 18, 2009
I am attaching the text of the most recent email exchanges I've had with XM/Sirius regarding the 128k disaster. It seems that if you raise enough hell, they'll 'accommodate' you. Regardless of how unnecessary this kind of 'negotiation' should be, it does seem to be how it's going to be for customers.
To read it chronologically, read from bottom to top--sorry, but that's just how it got collated...

Dear Neil Weiss,

Thank you for contacting XM.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced while listening to your XM Radio Online (XMRO) service. We are pleased to inform you that we updated your XMRO account so that you will receive the bit rate of 128 kbps.

We are pleased to inform you that we added the XMRO Premium package to your subscription. Please visit https://xmro-secure.xmradio.com/xstream/api/subscriber.jsp and fill out the required information to activate your XMRO service. Please use radio ID xxxxxxxx. We are sorry for any miscommunication.

Once these steps are completed you can begin to enjoy your XMRO service immediately and from anywhere in the world where you have an Internet connection. We hope that you find great entertainment and benefit from this service. Thank you for taking the time to contact us, and thanks for choosing XM Satellite Radio.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to send an additional email or you may contact a Listener Care Representative directly at 1-800-XM RADIO (800-967-2346). Our Listener Care Center?s hours of operation are as follows:

Monday - Saturday: 8 AM - 11 PM ET
Sunday: 8AM - 8PM ET

Thank you,

Suzan

XM Radio Inc.
1500 Eckington Place NE
Washington D.C. 20002
XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service
XM Listener Care: 1-800-967-2346

On April 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM, "Neil Weiss" <wneils@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> >Ok, this is NOT the correct answer to my recent inquiry. In fact, it is
> >in direct contradiction to 1) your previous reply to me; 2) the email
> >that enticed me to sign up for an extended term; 3) the information that
> >was given to me by the retention rep that I spoke with when I initially
> >called--prior to March 11--to cancel 4 of my 5 subscriptions! The
> >'package' that I was offered was NEVER said to include any sort of
> >limitation--indeed, a DOWNGRADE--of audio quality of my XMRO account!
> >In fact, the downgrade is probably the part that infuriates me the
> >most...this impending downgrade was never represented to ANY of your
> >customers in any way shape or form! It just happened without warning,
> >and Sirius/XM simply expects us to accept it without question. I will
> >NOT be doing so!
> >Furthermore, the customer retention rep I spoke to when this deal was
> >offered to me assured me that I would retain my XMRO account at the new,
> >increased bit-rate SPECIFICALLY; and this was instrumental in my
> >decision to remain with XM, and to sign up for a term longer than I had
> >ever used since I first subscribed in 2002!!!
> >This will be my last attempt to get this issue resolved to my
> >satisfaction. Should you insist on standing by the answer you gave
> >below, I will be calling to cancel ALL my XM accounts, and will
> >reluctantly dispose of the over $800 in XM hardware I have invested in
> >over the years, including a Polk XRT-12 ($250); Garmin GXM-30 XM
> >antenna/tuner ($250); Terk XM integrated car tuner for my Alpine car
> >radio ($200); XM home tuner kit for my Onkyo receiver ($100); and XM
> >antenna repeater for my home antenna ($90). And this is just for the
> >units still in use!!! I have also retired at least 4 portable radios
> >since '02!!!
> >Needless to say, I think this matter has been handled incredibly poorly
> >by Sirius/XM, and it unfortunately brings to fruition all the worst
> >fears that I and many others had about the merger of XM and Sirius! I
> >feel that I have been intentionally misled about the services I would be
> >getting for my 1 year lock-in, AND that I have been jerked around
> >inexcusably in trying to get this simple matter of XMRO resolved
> >correctly and in line with the many promises that have been issued by XM.
> >Your response to this email will determine whether you will be issuing
> >me a refund for the remainder of my subscriptions, or retaining a
> >customer...your call, XM.
> >
> >Neil Weiss
> >
> >lstreaming@xmradio.com wrote:
>> >> Dear Mr. Weiss,
>> >>
>> >> Thank you for contacting XM.
>> >>
>> >> We are sorry to hear that your issue is not resolved; however, we would be more than happy to advise you. We have gone ahead and research your account and our records indicate that your radios are on promotional packages as such you would not be qualified for free online listening at (128kbps).
>> >>
>> >> However, you may subscribe for premium online listening for $2.99, please email us again and state that you would like this package or you may contact, our Listener Care Center where any one of our representatives will be more than happy to assist you. Please view number below. Once again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.
>> >>
>> >> If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to send an additional email or you may contact a Listener Care Representative directly at 1-800-XM RADIO (800-967-2346). Our Listener Care Centers hours of operation are as follows:
>> >>
>> >> Monday Saturday: 8AM 11PM EST
>> >> Sunday: 8AM 8PM EST
>> >> Thank you,
>> >> Okeliah
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> XM Radio Inc.
>> >> 1500 Eckington Place NE
>> >> Washington, D.C. 20002
>> >> XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service
>> >> XM Listener Care: 1-800-967-2346
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> On April 14, 2009 at 4:42 AM, "Neil Weiss" <wneils@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>
>>> >>> Guys, I have been trying really hard to be patient with you about this
>>> >>> issue, but my patience is starting to run very thin now.
>>> >>> When can I expect this to be fixed?
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Neil Weiss
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>> lstreaming@xmradio.com wrote:
>>> >>>
>>>> >>>> Dear Mr. Weiss,
>>>> >>>>
>>>> >>>> Thank you for contacting XM.
>>>> >>>>
>>>> >>>> We are pleased to let you know that we will be able to give you streaming at the rate of 128kbs for the entire length of your existing subscription. Please be aware that when your current subscription expires, the standard rate will apply. In order to do this, a ticket (1-9080592490) will be opened and this service will be available within 7-10 days. You will be contacted via the following telephone number:
>>>> >>>>

Last edited:

ermschmigit

Apr 16, 2009
The Fighting Begins

After emailing Mel several times I finally get an email to call Customer Relations. I'm told I can have a year of 128k or downgrade to a year. I paid for 2 years. I contacted support on march 11 and they said I would get 128k but not till April. One night in march I got the 128k but when I tried to see what 32k was like I never got the 128k again. So I email them and let them know. they said the upgrade wouldn't be untill April 11 and be patient. I did not know off all of this bait and switch until April 11 after they told me the 2.99. was I pissed. For almost two years I went without internet. Could't afford it after my dial up provider stoped providing and my college dial up finally disabled me. So I got RR on March 11 in anticipation, but also for work. Mel is starting to get sick of this it must be because there stepping up there tactics. I would have never got a response if I didn't email him 4 times. I'm not giving up. They had me beliveing for more than a month I was getting this. And thanks' for the first person on this post for the attached email. I deleted mine. and had no evidence. From the email it sounded like there upgrade was to 128k and they were no longer offering the 32k. But they try to tell you different. That it only included the 32k. But that doesn't make sense if their isthis offer to upgrade by March 10. If you go to ther website it says 32K is free. It was'nt till this Saturday I found out about the stuff they do to customers. I'm not going to get another car with Sirius in it. I'm only in the car for 30 minutes a day and figured I'll get my monies worth with interenet. But they pulled this.

vinnyv07

Feb 28, 2009
I am a little confused here. I am a lifetime sub and I am currently receiving the 32 bit service. Are they upgrading all the lifetime subs at the end of April to 128 bit?

vinnyv07

Feb 28, 2009
I can't see them running the 32 bit stream just for the lifetime people. I think they would save money and problems just running one stream. They should be looking to downsize their services now that they have merged.

tdkcanada

Apr 14, 2009
Big surprise. No change to stream quality. And, they're still offering me to upgrade for $2.99.

So much for their promises around April 28th.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
There's still a chance they could switch by 2 AM (Pacific Time). SIRIUS has been known to do updates at this time.

My theory is because that's when midnight has passed across the entire US/Canada.

Who knows...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Soooo...still not working.

Any new theories? Or are we now convinced that the "free" stream is, and will remain, at 32k?

Ever see those horses which go faster because they have that carrot strapped to their head always 2 feet in front of their nose regardless what they do?

Free 128k steam = 1 carrot.

tdkcanada

Apr 14, 2009
There's still a chance they could switch by 2 AM (Pacific Time). SIRIUS has been known to do updates at this time.

My theory is because that's when midnight has passed across the entire US/Canada.

Who knows...

2am...hmmm, wouldn't that be April 29th?
:bigcry: