Lifetime sub paid off!

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
Anyone else notice that the lifetime sub for those of us who went to Sirius for Stern just paid itself off recently?

My sub started 11/05, so the $509.99 (with tax) was totally recouped last month.

Of course those who waited until the lifetime sub price was reduced $100 got a better deal and were paid off a little earlier. But then, they missed the early Stern shows that started 1/06.

Reactions: semipenguin

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
It's a nice feeling isn't it? I bought the lifetime when it was 399 a long time ago, I think in 2003 so mine's been paid for for 3 years or so.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
It's a nice feeling isn't it? I bought the lifetime when it was 399 a long time ago, I think in 2003 so mine's been paid for for 3 years or so.

It is a nice feeling for sure. So is the fact that my kids are all enjoying Sirius for $6.99/month as part of my original plan.

I thought the $399 lifetime plan came some time after the $499 plan was offered, however. Could be wrong. I do know that by capitalizing on the Stern effect, Sirius got $499 out of many of us back in late 2005.

Funny how with the economy still being so depressed (discretionary spending down), new car sales still so flat, and Stern's 5 year run nearing it's end, we rarely hear anything about satellite radio these days. Almost like we're just a tiny cult doing our own thing.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I remember when mine paid off. It felt great. Hopefully my radio will keep on working for a while. I would love to get a Mirg or Xm radio to replace my lifetimed one. I hope someday I hop someday I can do that. It doesn't look like Sirius will be coming out with a decent new color screen radio soon.

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
I just dove in to the lifetime plan the beginning of this week....2.5 years until I'm paid off!

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I will be all paid off next year in June 2010. $304.32 paid off, $195.67 to go.

But to me personally, it has paid itself off a long time ago. :)

Reactions: IronJabroni

JJS

Oct 13, 2008
I thought the $399 lifetime plan came some time after the $499 plan was offered, however. Could be wrong. I do know that by capitalizing on the Stern effect, Sirius got $499 out of many of us back in late 2005.

The original Sirius lifetime plan came in '03, at $399. I got it in November of that year, with full payback by May or June of '06. As I recall, that sub offer had no formal provision for replacement receivers, except under warranty. Some folks wasted their money on extended warranties, since they were protecting not only the receiver but also the lifetime sub. The subsequent three-replacement plan is far superior.

I'm also of the new crop of XM lifetime subscribers, in only after the Liberty buy-in. Those of us who got the five year XM plan for $499 just before the 2005 price increase were able to apply the remaining apx $100 credit to the XM lifetime plan. A no-brainer at $300 net, if you believe the company will be around to honor the plan.