Liberal talk radio fans: sign my petition

Ozwalt

Feb 23, 2009
I don't know about you, but I'm frustrated that XM and Sirius have not consolidated their liberal talk programming options. As a Sirius subscriber, I was excited at the prospect of getting Air America after the merger. Apparently, that's not going to happen (unless they lump it into some kind of extra package and try to get me to pay another 8 bucks for it). And if you're an XM subscriber, I'm betting you're starting to wonder if your programs are going to get cut. I, for one, have had it. I'm ready to cancel my subscription and pitch the radio in the lake. If you're experiencing the same frustrations, I hope you'll sign my petition.

Click this link:
Improve liberal programming on Sirius/XM Radio Petition

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2008
XM doesn't carry anymore Air America programs except Maddow at 5 AM. Most of their lineup is comprised of Dial Global hosts.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Air America is all but dead. And they haven't done it for the Republican channels, so at least it's a bi-partisan ignoring:icon_wink:

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
i would love to sign your petition. i agree with it 100%. however the only impact that i would be able to have would be word of mouth. if i cancel my subscription, it's only hurting me financially (lifer).

xm's america left line up is loads better than sirius's sirius left. by several factors. it was one thing to hope for during the consolidation of lineups. i haven't seen any talk lineup mergers at all. perhaps its because contracts need to be expired or negotiated before any significant merging happens.

jnockels

Mar 1, 2009
Yankton, SD
AND.........
I would LOVE if Sirius would play more than just the final HOUR of the Stephanie Miller show. Can you add that clause to your petition? I will then happily sign it.

Ozwalt

Feb 23, 2009
Thanks for all the comments.

Offering Air America isn't really the primary issue for me. My frustration is that I want access to (1) nationally syndicated programs, (2) all three hours of the programs, and (3) LIVE! Every small town in America has access to right-wing radio on am/fm, and Sirius (can't speak for XM) still also offers the Fox TV News Simulcast and Fox News Talk Radio (in addition to Sirius "Patriot"), both of which are almost entirely right-wing (with the exception of Alan Combs). It's people that would like hear the opposing argument that are being neglected.

Ctkatz: I have to agree that Sirius left's programming is in the crapper. Bennett spends most of his time talking about daily life issues not related to politics, and Samuels has taken to badmouthing Obama (still p*ssed about Hillary losing) and talking about how wonderful "Morning Joe" and Druge are. Mark Thompson is the most legitimate left-wing political talker among them, but much of what moves him is related to African American issues (as it should be), but that doesn't apply to most of us living in small-town midwest America. Since getting left-wing programming is 70% of why I subscribed in the first place, I'm leaning toward the door. Hope you'll sign the petition anyway, just to show your opinion.

Jnockels: I'm not comfortable changing the text of the petition now, because there are people who have already signed the old version -- don't want to misrepresent them. I think the text already covers what you're saying, though. It's calling for nationally syndicated shows like Stephanie Miller to be played live. I hope you'll sign the petition anyway.

Thanks again everyone. Please spread the word.

Last edited:

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008

i support this petition. i am also a lifetime subscriber with a few years to go before i am listening for free. so while cancelling my subscription will ultimately hurt me financially, i can also use my other option to voice my displeasure- word of mouth.

other signers of this petition may cancel their deals en masse, and you may not blink as that same number of signees may sign on the very next hour. but should people like me decide to use their other, and much more powerful option of word of mouth advertisement of displeasure, it will continue to hurt the company in these times of fighting the bad reputation given to it by outlets like the NAB, and disgruntled stockholders such as the group called Save Sirius.

a cancelled subscription is a loss on future revenue. compelling like minded people like me and other signees to not consider siriusxm as even an option hurts potential revenues.

thank you.

edtmark

Apr 5, 2009
Canada
www.twitter.com
Michelangelo Signorile on OutQ is quite left wing in his positions. Although he is on a GLBT themed channel he doesn't dwell on that subject matter for much of his entire show.

He's far too left for my liking but a lot of people who enjoy some of the Air America personalities might enjoy his show. Just a thought!

Cardville

Apr 10, 2009
Sirius left is awful. I'm a dem but I listen to Sirius Patriot more. If that tells you anything. What bothers me most is you can hear right wing talk anywhere on terrestrial radio. So left would be a big draw on satellite?:confused:

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Air America failed because it's a boring, retarded station. They're a group of people that I don't want on my side.... except for Al Franken, who is actually entertaining. Which is why he left.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
The only political station I've been listening to lately on Satellite is POTUS.

I would say that both the Liberal and Conservative stations need an overhaul.

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
Air America failed because it's a boring, retarded station. They're a group of people that I don't want on my side.... except for Al Franken, who is actually entertaining. Which is why he left.

Hey, they just celebrated their five year anniversary! I don't see them making it another five years though. Their biggest star right now is Rachel Maddow, whose only presence on the network is a one-hour show in the early morning that is basically a replay of her MSNBC show from the night before. Their other big stars, Mike Malloy, Randi Rhodes, and Thom Hartmann are gone. Ron Reagan is doing okay, and I hope Montel Williams succeeds, but the future doesn't look very bright for Air America.

Ozwalt

Feb 23, 2009
Thanks for all the comments & feedback guys.

I personally couldn't care less about Air America. They're really just a program distributor now days, anyway. I just want to hear the real talent of left-wing talk, and if Satellite radio won't play them live and uncut, then who will? I can't remember Bennett or Samuels EVER having political or newsworthy guests on for some real debate. Bennett sometimes has a comedian or brothel-owner on, but is that what folks want from a so-called political talk show?

I don't understand why they won't put on Miller, Hartmann, Rhodes (I hear she's coming back to radio soon), et al. live and complete. Those listening on terrestrial radio would start hearing more and more "Bob's on the phone listening on Sirius/XM, hello Bob!", which I'm thinking is good marketing, yes? And they can basically get access to the syndicated shows FOR FREE. All they have to do is carry their ads -- AND there's extra space built in for Sirius/XM to fill with their own ads as well.

Times almost up on the petition. Another few weeks, and I'll be forwarding it to Sirius/XM and asking for their response. If you haven't signed it yet, please do. There's only 24 signatures there so far (and a couple of them are B.S.), so I'm guessing they're not going to be impressed. Would love to have over 100 names on the list.

Improve liberal programming on Sirius/XM Radio Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

Nov 12, 2008
Sirius Left clearly has Bennett, Samuels and Thompson on because they want to push their own product. The other hosts are great, but you can listen to them for free. There's no way to get Sirius XM exclusive hosts unless you pay Sirius XM to listen to them. Also, I can't stand Alex Bennett, but if by some chance those guys get the axe, I hope Sirius tries another exclusive hire.

Air America is no longer even worth considering as a viable liberal talk radio network. Dial Global (formerly Jones Radio Network) has them beaten in talent, numbers, and revenue. XM's America Left carries 12 solid hours of Dial Global content in a row where there used to be Air America content.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
Sirius Left clearly has Bennett, Samuels and Thompson on because they want to push their own product.(1) The other hosts are great, but you can listen to them for free (2). There's no way to get Sirius XM exclusive hosts unless you pay Sirius XM to listen to them. Also, I can't stand Alex Bennett, but if by some chance those guys get the axe, I hope Sirius tries another exclusive hire.

Air America is no longer even worth considering as a viable liberal talk radio network. Dial Global (formerly Jones Radio Network) has them beaten in talent, numbers, and revenue. XM's America Left carries 12 solid hours of Dial Global content in a row where there used to be Air America content.(3)

1. first fault in your arguement. i do believe that sirius can push their own product. and when the consumers (that'd be us, the listeners) tell them that their product sucks, sirius should be in the mode to be receptive and make changes. especially when they are not being put in the best light in the financial markets. the last thing they need is reports that they aren't receptive to what the consumer wants.

2. second fault in your arguement. not so. i live in louisville, kentucky. while the city itself is progressive, and we have an honestly progressive democratic representative, we are home to exactly 3 conservative, 3 religious stations which are not known for their progressiveness and ZERO progressive talkers. coast to coast am would be considered the most liberal programming on the airwaves here. the only way i can hear progressive talk is either with satellite radio or streaming online, which means i have to be tied to my computer all day to hear progressive talk. notice the number of stations that carry ed shultz whom most consider the best mainstream progtalker and compare that to the number who carry beck, or ingraham, or liddy, or medved, or bill bennett; your third tier conservotalker. progressive talk is not as widespread as you think.

3. obviously there is a portion of the audience who cannot stand samuels, bennett or thompson on the "liberal" talk channel because they aren't liberal. this same audience wants there to be more of that dial global content played. it couldn't hurt to play it live. and there is nothing wrong with that.

i have stated before that to fix 2 sirixm should do 3 for the sirius side of the listenership. when programming got combined, i thought that the best thing to do was for there to be a sirixm exclusive channel where samuels, bennett, thompson, who or whatever could air and a channel for the syndicated progtalkers only where you could have dial global plus mike malloy plus others for those who live in markets where the closest stations that air them are more than 300 miles away. it would be what the people wanted. siriusxm on the sirius side has clearly not been listening to what it's subscribers want.

Reactions: Cardville

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
as much as i have railed on sirixm for not providing the alternative programming after the merger, i am here to give them partial credit.

i just found out today that both america left and america right are on SIR. so at least the internet subscribers have an alternative to most of the crap put out on sirius left. it is admittedly a partial victory- those who have an internet streaming device or subscription (i fall in both cases with a lifetime sub that had a lifetime internet sub attached at the time as well as a stiletto 100 that has streaming capabilities) have something better to listen to. those who don't don't which i think sucks. however at this point, i would rather have part of what i wanted rather than none at all.