Let's talk uppity liquor

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
When I was a kid and had a sore throat my mom would give me Jack and honey.

ETA: And lemon juice. She put lemon juice in there, too. Mmmmm.
I would get honey, lemon, and Drambuie. Must be an eastern european thing.

By the way, I'm a single-malt scotch fan (could you guess?) - so I can assist with scotch-related questions - but I also got turned-on to good American whiskies/bourbons. Had a bottle of Jack Daniels single barrel at a cigar dinner, and it was quite good, but pricey. Now if I want a good bourbon for a decent price I'll get the Eagle Rare 10 yr single-barrel.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I've really been into bourbon for the last year. Two weeks ago my wife and I took a vacation to the Kentucky bourbon trail, went to 9 distilleries and a cooperage. Great times, many samples and many bottles of Kentucky-only bottles brought home. I highly reccomend it!

My current collection is around 12 bottles. Evan Williams Single Barrel (2002 & 2003 editions) and Four Roses Single Barrel make up my "top shelf" right now. I plan on getting some Blanton's soon, and of course the elusive anything by Pappy Van Winkle. My more regular dram has become Very Old Barton 100 proof, love that stuff.
I visited Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, and Jim Beam. I didn't have time to see them all, hopefully I can go back. I did buy 2 bottles at Wild Turkey and one at Woodford Reserve.

T

tdevine

I visited Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, and Jim Beam. I didn't have time to see them all, hopefully I can go back. I did buy 2 bottles at Wild Turkey and one at Woodford Reserve.
Woodford Reserve was the one distillery we didn't get to tour, it stormed that afternoon. Instead we got a presentation with a free sample and bourbon balls. If you make it back I recommend Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Makers Mark and the Kentucky Cooperage. People often forget the cooperage but that's where most of bourbon's flavor comes from!

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Sunday I had a "Paloma" for the first time. It's just 3 parts grapefruit soda and 1 part tequila. I actually had two, one made with Squirt and 1800 silver that was lame, and one made with Jarritos and 1800 reposado that was like a thousand tiny angels kissing my mouth's taint.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Now that's a visual I didn't need before bed.
The videos showings shredded human flesh from the shark week show tonight is actually much more cheerful .

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfrising13.com
Sunday I had a "Paloma" for the first time. It's just 3 parts grapefruit soda and 1 part tequila. I actually had two, one made with Squirt and 1800 silver that was lame, and one made with Jarritos and 1800 reposado that was like a thousand tiny angels kissing my mouth's taint.
Now that's a visual I didn't need before bed.
Quite lying, that what Casual did to you in order to become your V.P. :D

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
OK, last night we went to a sushi joint in St Louis and I was drinking a few martinis. The Mrs thought it would be fun to do a couple of shots since they had a list of funny named shots. I forgot what this one was called, but it had bacon in it.

It actually wasn't too bad. And it had bacon in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

T

tdevine

I'll talk uppity Bourbon and mention I got a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 Y.O. this year! No crazy lines, lotteries or price gouging to get it either. I heard rumors it was around locally; called a few stores and 20 minutes later I had it. Saving it for my birthday in 2 weeks :)

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I'll talk uppity Bourbon and mention I got a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 Y.O. this year! No crazy lines, lotteries or price gouging to get it either. I heard rumors it was around locally; called a few stores and 20 minutes later I had it. Saving it for my birthday in 2 weeks :)
I heard that's some good freaking stuff. :bowdown: enjoy

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013
They don't sell that in this state but they do sell the 23 year old stuff. I've tried it once but never spent the $250 for a bottle.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

T

tdevine

Did I raise the uppity liquor bar too high? :D

My latest bourbons since the Pappy has been Blantons (b-day present), 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, Eagle Rare (great deal, only $5 more than Buffalo Trace) and John J. Bowman Single Barrel (visited these guys in Fredericksburg, VA). It's been freakin' cold all winter so stiff drinks have been needed.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Did I raise the uppity liquor bar too high? :D

My latest bourbons since the Pappy has been Blantons (b-day present), 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, Eagle Rare (great deal, only $5 more than Buffalo Trace) and John J. Bowman Single Barrel (visited these guys in Fredericksburg, VA). It's been freakin' cold all winter so stiff drinks have been needed.
If you dont.......who will?

Everyone needs goals.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
You guys ever drink some Absinthe?

My last few trips to the French Quarter, I indulged a bit.
The Napoleon House for a Sazerac cocktail, and the Old Absinthe House, for some absinthe, of course.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Good job resurrecting the thread. I didn't realize it was that old. And what happened to half these guys?

Anyway, I have had absinthe a couple of times in the last year or so. Not a big fan, but it's a trendy thing today. My understanding is that absinthe was once deadly, hence the reputation. But today's version is only the same in name. Maybe someone can chime-in with accurate info.

Reactions: Aaron