Leo Laporte Talks Sat Radio with Adam Carolla

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
On a dual podcast/webcast between Leo Laporte and Adam Carolla, Adam asked Leo his thoughts on satellite radio. This exchange took place within the first ten minutes of the podcast.

Adam:​
"Where do you think satellite's going to be?"​

Leo:​
"Well...satellite's history, right Adam?...satellite's history".​

"You know, I don't wanna be one of these guys that just sounds like a spoiled ass and says, 'yeah, it's gonna be history' because I'm not on it. But it seems like..."​

"I'M ON IT!!!! I'm on XM and I'm saying it's history".​

"Oh...O.K...good. It seems like the Internet is going to usurp this (satellite). We don't need satellite if we have the Internet, right?"​

"The Internet usurps everything, it's kind of the do-it-all distribution medium."​

You can get the full hour long podcast for free at this link.

The Adam Carolla Podcast

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Leo's a rad local homie that knows his 'chit.

Wonder how much longer he'll stay on SatRad now?

By the sounds of it, he'll stay as long as satrad will have him. The dude never seems to sleep, he's always doing radio or podcasting or some such thing. I just thought his take on satradio was pretty revealing. Not that he is right, just that he feels the way he does.

Adam sounded as if he were really feeling out Leo, a sort of reassurance for what Adam is now trying to do.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
By the sounds of it, he'll stay as long as satrad will have him. The dude never seems to sleep, he's always doing radio or podcasting or some such thing. I just thought his take on satradio was pretty revealing. Not that he is right, just that he feels the way he does.

Adam sounded as if he were really feeling out Leo, a sort of reassurance for what Adam is now trying to do.

I was just gonna say, do they have him locked in a studio somewhere? He's everywhere! :twitch:

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I am a fan of Leo's, loved him on TechTV, subscribed to TWIT for awhile, and even follow him on twitter. But on this I think he's off.

I think his world of 3G iPhones and broadband skews his view a little as there are plenty of internet radio along with iPod capabilities in the more urban areas. There are still areas up in the middle of nowhere or in the mountains where cell phone and broadband signals are non-existent, but satellite works fine with their view of the sky. That is why me as well as 95% of the people I know who subscribe to SiriusXM are subscribers.

Would I argue that the trend is that internet is/will be the way we will be getting a good portion of our media? No, because I use my Xbox 360 for watching streaming content as well as netflix movies three times as much as a gaming machine.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
The fact of the matter is, satellites are way more expensive to maintain than servers and routers. If they - by they, I mean private industry, government, or both - ever get the initiative to expand broadband coverage into the rural areas, look out! Wimax is already on it's way, but what else is there? Considering even small little towns like Sidney, NE where I lived for a short time have cable modem broadband service, and even truck stops have wifi access for truckers, it's only a matter of time before it becomes the standard whether its rural or urban.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
There's over three billion cell phones in the world. Smartphones are growing at the fastest pace.

I think the reason why sat radio is mainly a North American phenom is that Europe and Asia are streaming info through their vastly superior mobile broadband.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Yes...Leo covers all of that in the first ten minutes of the podcast. I just clipped that one segment because he talked directly about the life expectancy of satellite radio.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
It also stands to reason that the majority of the population is in the urban areas where Wi-Fi and 3G are most used. And there aren't a whole lot of places that don't have broadband, even in small towns. Satellites don't really allow you to spend all your money like drunken sailors on other content (as XM and Sirius have been doing), they are costly to launch and maintain.