Late Night Wars Pt. 2

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Conan Vs. Leno

Is Conan being screwed over? Should he leave? Should Leno retire? Who's funnier/better? Should Leno retire? Is NBC right, or wrong? Do you even care?

I answer... Yes, Yes, Yes, Conan, Yes, Wrong, Yes.

Discuss...

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Say what you want about Conan, but he really got the shaft here.
He was promised The Tonight Show, but in reality, he was handled a pile of crap.
He gets the fallout of a Leno Show lead-in which was a failure.
It's hard to tell if he is to blame here.

Any way you slice it, he's screwed. Leno comes back to later time slot, and will look like he saved the day.

To make matters worse, the Letterman scandal did wonders for his ratings. It would have been interested to see what happened if he was up against Leno when that story broke.

Conan will probably end up at Fox with a fat paycheck. He seems like a class act.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Conan wasn't the first person that Leno has screwed over in his quest for power and glory and he certainly won't be the last. The 10PM idea for Leno was a stupid one from the get go but Leno has too much of an ego to admit that.

I am sure Conan will land on his feet somewhere. I thought he was funny in limited doses but the episodes of the Simpsons he wrote were masterpieces.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I've always been a Letterman fan and think Jay is a complete dud.

I never watched Conan much, but he seems pretty talented. One thing is for certain and
that he was screwed over plain and simple by NBC and Jay. I firmly believe that if your
employer does not respect you and you have the means to walk way then you should. In
this case I think Conan should leave and start over. Someone will give him a
chance. That letter he wrote was very classy, but firm that he wasn't going to be pushed
around.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I really can't stand any of those shows (never liked them) unless they happen to have someone interesting on. Then I'll catch that segment on YouTube.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Leno needs to be fired, pronto.

I agree with Conan. He worked his ass off to get to Carson's old slot, and this is what he gets. Same as Letterman. He went to CBS and it took him years to topple The Tonight Show.

I watch almost all of the late night shows every night, and all but Fallon mentioned Conan's letter.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I dont' watch any of these shows. If forced to, I would watch Conan because I think he is hilarious.

Leno should retire as he said he would years ago.

Conan obviously got screwed by NBC.

Take Letterman's recent sex scandal away and I don't really think he is that funny anymore.

But, again, I don't really watch any of these shows because by 11.30, I"m usually in bed either flipping around on TV, reading a book or turning off the TV to go to sleep.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
If Fox was smart, they'd grab Conan and start at 11:00 PM Eastern. That would have to take a bite out of the late news ratings, and maybe the Tonight Show and Letterman's ratings too. With all of the 24 hour news channels out there (and the Internet), is the late local news all that relevant any more? Plus, who wants to be depressed by the news before they go to sleep anyhow??

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
If Fox was smart, they'd grab Conan and start at 11:00 PM Eastern. That would have to take a bite out of the late news ratings, and maybe the Tonight Show and Letterman's ratings too. With all of the 24 hour news channels out there (and the Internet), is the late local news all that relevant any more? Plus, who wants to be depressed by the news before they go to sleep anyhow??

They've blown all their cash on Palin.

Leno sucks. He needs to go.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA

This is a great idea.

Fox always starts their "local" news at 10pm so 11pm would be a great idea. At 11pm, I'd watch Conan on fox for a half hour or so while laying in bed.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I caught some of Letterman talking about this issue last night. He was funny. I haven't watched any of these shows since Letterman went to CBS. He stopped being funny then, and Leno has never been funny.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Letterman was actually funny about 10 years ago, but then he just became a bitter old man that got lazy with his joke writing. I watched the show where he announced his affair and the first 4 minutes of the show was him telling jokes about the abundance of possums or something on the streets of NYC :shock::thumbsdown:

But anyways, I'm totally on Team Conan here, but I think it'd be best case for everybody, including his audience, if he was on at 11 on Fox. 11:30 is just too late for my busy life. I'd watch him a lot more at 11. Plus, it would give Fox a chance to swipe ratings from all the local news broadcasts :hhh:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Also, I'm not a fan of Jimmy Kimmel, except when he's with Adam Corolla, but he did his whole show last night as Jay Leno. It was a whole show slamming NBC/Leno, as opposed to Conan's which was more like 50-75% slam. Bad impression voice-wise, but still ballsy nevertheless.