Kyle Petty's comments about SIRIUS/XM 128 hosts

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Does anyone have a link to what Kyle Petty said about the hosts of SIRIUS/XM 128 hosts? I heard it mentioned several times yesterday that he is going to be Moody's guest @ 5:00pm today. I did not hear all of what Petty said and I'd like to know.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
There was some kind of discussion last week that involved an interview between Kyle, J. Spencer, & Larry Mac. Part one of two was posted on the net. I read it and don't remember any comment about SIRIUS/XM 128. I guess it must be in part two of that interview but I am unable to locate a link.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I think part of what Kyle said was that the MRN crew make the race sound more exciting on the radio than what it really is on the track.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Found it.....

(The group was discussing another topic when the issue of the press was brought up)

McREYNOLDS: I want to go back and address one other thing about where we’re at with the sport. And this is just my opinion, our media, I call them our pencil pushers have not helped. The man we buried back in the spring, God rest him, great friend, I’m telling you he never wrote anything positive about our sport. Never. Darrell has put a great analogy. He goes, if you go to a restaurant and you’ve been going to that restaurant for years and you love that restaurant but you constantly read in the paper, it’s a bad restaurant, it’s a bad restaurant. Eventually, you’re going to say, I’m not going to that restaurant. Even if they rehire a complete new chef, staff, you’re still going to be hesitant about going back to that restaurant. Like Kyle said, one thing has not put us in the boat that we’re in. Not even close.

PETTY: You’re exactly right on that, but I laugh at it because of this, when you get, whether it’s you (he said looking at me), whether it’s me, when you get the media as a whole away from it and talk about it, every one of us loves the sport more than anything in the world. We love everything about it. But we’re kind of like an old couple that has been married 50 years, and I cuss my wife and she cusses me but at night I snuggle right up against her and I tell her how much I lover her and I’m always going to love her. You love them but you feel that comfort level with them that you can say anything about them, not realizing that people are eavesdropping on us and those people are eavesdropping on us are those millions of fans out there that read it, that watch us and hang on every word we say. I’ll say this, for the record, Sirius Radio, why some of those people host some of those shows, shouldn’t be hosting those shows.

SPENCER: No, they’re terrible.

PETTY: They give so much misinformation and fuel the fire so bad, it is terrible, man.

McREYNOLDS: Like I said, I miss him so much, David Poole (the former Charlotte Observer beat writer who died in April), but if I read his articles enough, I probably would question that I picked the right profession to make a living in.

http://hamptonroads.com/blogs/dustin-long

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Should be interesting @ 5:00 today. Word yesterday was the Moody was pretty P O'd about Kyles comments so I wonder if there was more to it? :scratch:

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
So, when did this little discussion about Nascar happen? It seems its made a couple headlines but mostly nothing.

I am disappointed in Larry. David wrote many many good articles about the people behind this sport. His influence went a long way to help a lot of people get reconized in this sport. But also, David was a force for the fans to be the one to stand up about Nascar which these gutless hosts wont.

Oh and I agree with Kyle when he said they feul the fire the fire. It goes back to the anti Dale Jr/Tony Eury Jr. thing months ago. Sirius hosts would do nothing to help ease that up after days and weeks of talking about it. Its almost like they needed something to talk about so theyd drop a line, and then youd have a day of talking about it.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Do you honestly believe that all of the hosts on 128 should be against NASCAR on everything? Just curious. I hear them disagree from time to time. I just don't get it. :scratch:

CatDad 2004

Jul 7, 2009
Charlotte, NC
The late David Poole was a good reporter, but not a perfect one. I think some of the fault should lie with Dustin Long. Also a good reporter. But his mistake was allowing everyone connected with Sirius NASCAR Radio to be tarred by the same brush. If this had been political reporting, Kyle would never have been allowed to hide behind the word "some". He would have had to name names, or back down from the statement. Dustin should have held Kyle to the same standard.

Once the "offender" is named, they can effectively begin to defend themselves, while the others are not touched by vague accusations.

Reactions: dpkimmel2001

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
David Poole gave constructive criticism. He didn't just bash nascar everyday to have something to do. I always considered him to be fair.

I think I may send some of Poole's stuff to Larry if I can find an email. I hope Larry's opinion was not of a personal nature.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah, thanks dp. I just haven't had time to do that yet. I'm in the middle of doing end of month inventory at work and it may be this weekend before I can send stuff to Larry.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
For me after listening to Kyle for two segments on Moody's show, I still don't really get his beef with SIRIUS/XM 128 hosts. He mentioned that one of the hosts misinformed us of the restart rules. Other than that, I just don't get it. What the heck did I miss? What's the issue here?

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
I don't get it either. It appeared to me that Kyle was simply trying to rebuild yet another bridge he set on fire. The Nascar landscape is littered with ash piles that he left behind.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I've always liked Kyle. To me, he just seems like someone @ 128 really pi$$ed him off and he doesn't want to say who or what it is even about. He said that he always speaks his mind. He must not have been thinking to much during that call I guess. :clueless:

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont think every host needs to bash Nascar. Not at all. But I expect when something happens, or you have a situation we have in this sport (declining attendance/ratings) I expect some objective reporting and constructive discussion.

Instead what we get is that Nascar is great, every sport is suffering, the economy is bad, Nascar has the toughest job in sports blah blah excuses excuses excuses excuses.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Instead what we get is that Nascar is great, every sport is suffering, the economy is bad, Nascar has the toughest job in sports blah blah excuses excuses excuses excuses.

Yeah, there is a LOT of that. I would like to see more objectivity, which is what Poole brought to the table.

Even in a bad economy people WILL go to the events they like. I GUARNATEE that if people turn off the chase for whatever reason, nascar WILL change it. They just freakin' changed the restart rule in the MIDDLE of the season! Not to mention going back to sensible start times next year.

I bitch and moan because I'm a fan and have a lot invested in it. But if nascar doesn't excite me anymore I won't hang on to it. And there have been fans that have turned it off for various reason. So it IS an issue that needs to be addressed.