Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Kobe Bryant

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I don't want a comparison of their respective careers up to this point, because obviously Kobe comes out on top there. What I'm asking is, who is better RIGHT NOW? Or another way to look at it, if you were fielding a team and you had the first pick, would you take Kobe or LeBron?

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
LeBron's pretty rugged but I think Kobe is hotter... Wait!!! what was the question?:heat:

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
By the slimmest of margins, I'd take LeBron over Kobe. His all-around game is amazing. LeBron can do it all! And he's only getting better. :icon_eek:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
By the slimmest of margins, I'd take LeBron over Kobe. His all-around game is amazing. LeBron can do it all! And he's only getting better. :icon_eek:

I actually think Kobe's all-around game is better at this point. He can drive the basketball but also knock down that mid-range jumper consistently (like Jordan learned to do so well). If LeBron ever develops a decent jumper, watch out because he'll be unstoppable.

I also think Kobe plays better defense than LeBron right now.

It'd be fun to watch these two go at it in the Finals. Lakers/Cavs is a good possibility.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
I actually think Kobe's all-around game is better at this point. He can drive the basketball but also knock down that mid-range jumper consistently (like Jordan learned to do so well). If LeBron ever develops a decent jumper, watch out because he'll be unstoppable.

The mid range is getting better, just like the free throws from prior years. Remember that Jordan's didn't really develop a bit later in his career.

That's debatable. Lebron has developed a good knack for getting in the passing lanes, improving his steal count. He has also developed the block from behind a player thinking that he has a free layup, often keeping the ball in play. I can't recall Kobe ever getting this type of a block on the open floor.

Overall, Lebron is more of the total package that improves the players around him. Just look at the games in NY - Kobe had a lot of points but nearly nothing in the other categories. Lebron came up a bit less in the scoring but nearly a triple-double. Take 1/2 of the assists as made shots and his points match Kobe's output.

Lebron is happy to play good 'D' and let a guy like Mo Williams get over 40 pts (twice in the last week!). Don't know if Kobe can hand the scoring reins over to someone else with a hot hand and be happy with the decision.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana

I guess I'm thinking along the same lines as Steel Cranium. More than the scoring, it's about the rebounds, assists, steals, blocks. LeBron gets those in bunches.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Yeah LeBron is definitely more of a triple-double threat than Kobe is, I can't argue with that. I guess I was trying to argue that Kobe's offensive game is a bit more polished, more well-rounded than LeBron's is at this point.

It's a little difficult comparing the two because they do have different games and styles of play. LeBron is in the mold of Magic while Kobe is more like Michael. But if I need to win one game in 2009, I've gotta go with Kobe.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
But if I need to win one game in 2009, I've gotta go with Kobe.

Looks like that worked for the two cavs vs. lakers games this year. The cavs were missing two starters in LA, so that can be an excuse, but the lakers and cavs where down one when the met in Cleveland.

Lebron's still so young, that the future could go a few different ways. He can continue to improve year over year or run into trouble when he moves to a bigger market team (NY?). Lots of bad stuff looming in a big city for a single guy. I wouldn't believe that Lebron would turn down the additional money that the cavs can offer over other teams one the contract is up - but - the NBA works in interesting ways. Ping-pong balls fall interesting ways (including Lebron) and interesting moves are made to put guys like Kevin Garnett in a bigger market.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
We might be able to add Kevin Durant to this conversation in a couple of years. He's already averaging 26 points in only his second season. I think he's probably the next emerging superstar of the league. He put up 47 tonight against New Orleans.

Oklahoma City might be really good too in the near future. They remind me of Portland of the past couple years...very young and putting some very talented pieces together. With Durant, Jeff Green, and Russell Westbrook, they've already got a nice core. They need a big man though. I know they just traded for Tyson Chandler, but he's nothing too special. Who knows...they'll be in the lottery. Maybe they get lucky and get that number one pick and keep Blake Griffin in Oklahoma. They could play him at the 4 next to Chandler. Similar to what Portland does with Aldridge and Oden.

Hasheem Thabeet would be a nice fit as well.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
No doubt Kevin Durant has special skills as a scorer! I think it's fitting that in the same night he scores 47, Dwight Howard scores 45 points (and 19 rebounds!) for the Magic.

The NBA is in good hands with all these young players... Durant, Howard, LeBron, Chris Paul, Brandon Roy, Derrick Rose. O.J. Mayo is an impressive rookie too.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The NBA is in good hands with all these young players... Durant, Howard, LeBron, Chris Paul, Brandon Roy, Derrick Rose. O.J. Mayo is an impressive rookie too.

Yes and I think you'll be able to add Blake Griffin to that list next year. He reminds me of Carlos Boozer, only much more athletic. Which basically means he'll be a very rich man come July.

James Harden and Jeff Teague have some nice potential as well.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Lebron had a good game tonite - pulled early just one rebound & one assist short of a triple-double. Most interesting part of the game was that the Toronto arena was empty. Looked like folks in the first few rows near the floor then entire empty rows just above those. The arena was never shown from a wide view, so I really couldn't tell how empty it was. All camera angles showed the floor only.

Things don't look good up there, eh?

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Lebron sends a message out west to Kobe?

55 pts in Milwaukee, 25 in the 3rd quarter, including 16 in under the first three minutes of the 2nd half. Started with a very long 3 to finish the half, then carried it thru to the 2nd half. I haven't witnessed a quarter like that for a while - completely turned the game around in the Cavs favor. The Bucks didn't have an answer after the first three minutes after halftime.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Kobe had himself a nice little game too last night. 39 points including 11 in overtime to beat New Orleans. Although it came on only 13-30 from the floor.

SteelCranium, I'm going to assume you're a Cavalier fan? They're coming to town next Thursday. Can't wait for that game. I've never seen LeBron play in-person, so I'm thinking of buying a couple tickets. Hopefully Houston can exact a little revenge from earlier in the season when the Cavs beat them in Cleveland.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
SteelCranium, I'm going to assume you're a Cavalier fan? They're coming to town next Thursday. Can't wait for that game. I've never seen LeBron play in-person, so I'm thinking of buying a couple tickets. Hopefully Houston can exact a little revenge from earlier in the season when the Cavs beat them in Cleveland.

Yeah, it's about all we have in town these days. I'm enjoying the Lebron & the Cavs like I enjoyed the late 90s Indians teams - knowing it will all come to an end when the opportunity for a cash-grap happens. The 90s Indians nearly had an all-start at every position for a few years. A local talk-radio host would always remind the listeners to "get to the stadium and enjoy this, because it won't last long". That sure was an accurate statement - the free-agency draw broke up the team.

It's nice to have the opportunity to see Lebron and the boys play over 40 games over the winter. The money paid to see teams like Cleveland, Boston, LA, are worthwhile.