Kobalt Tools 500 Thoughts / Predictions

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Mar 08, 2009 2:15 PM - Finally an earlier start.

Another PRN weekend.

48 drivers vying for 43 spots - No lack due to the economy yet!

Better finish good here before heading to the Bristol 'Crap Shoot' the next week!

Newman could break Atlanta pole record this week - tied with Buddy Baker @ 7.

Will Kyle Busch get his second win at a track this weekend? 13 wins, 13 different tracks.

Who's going to win?

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i'm lookin for a roush win, but after a strong finish last weekend, don't be suprised to see bobby be a contender at the one track he has always done well at.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i'm guessing if martin's car takes another crap on him this weekend mark is going to probably think hard like hell he wish he wouldn't have never done a full time ride with hendrick.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
i'm guessing if martin's car takes another crap on him this weekend mark is going to probably think hard like hell he wish he wouldn't have never done a full time ride with hendrick.

Really? I'm thinking he'll turn it around soon. Hopefully this weekend.
As for this race, I predict the usual suspects up front. Edwards, Busch, Johnson.
I'm looking forward to the truck race. Thats always exciting.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i have always had faith in mark being in the top 10, but when the equipment takes a crap on him then of course that's no fault of his own.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
i have always had faith in mark being in the top 10, but when the equipment takes a crap on him then of course that's no fault of his own.

I don't know about Mark but I do know that when it happens to Jr., it's his fault! :jj:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I'm looking for Jr. to make a very strong run, actually living up to the pressure, but finishing second to Atlanta master Carl Edwards.

Carl Edwards 1
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 2
Kyle Busch 3
Clint Bowyer 4
Jeff Gordon 5
Greg Biffle 6
Kevin Harvick 7
Brian Vickers 8
Kasey Kahne 9
Jeff Burton 10
Jimmie Johnson 11
Tony Stewart 12

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah, no kidding. He needs a great finish or win NOW or he will have a very hard time catching up the rest of the year. I would love to see him win it.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Gordon win it.

Otherwise.....GO KYLE! :p

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Can Ryan set a new record this afternoon winning the 8th pole here?

Coverage of Qualifying for the Kobalt Tools 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway is scheduled for Friday, March 6, 2009 at 6:45pm/et.
TV: SPEED - 6:30pm/et

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I tossed Harvick under the bus and put in McMurray instead. Also moved Vickers up, so here's my final picks:buttrock:

Carl Edwards 1
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 2
Brian Vickers 3
Kyle Busch 4
Jeff Gordon 5
Clint Bowyer 6
Jamie McMurray 7
Greg Biffle 8
Kasey Kahne 9
Jeff Burton 10
Jimmie Johnson 11
Tony Stewart 12

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
I tossed Harvick under the bus and put in McMurray instead. Also moved Vickers up, so here's my final picks:buttrock:

Carl Edwards 1
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 2
Brian Vickers 3
Kyle Busch 4
Jeff Gordon 5
Clint Bowyer 6
Jamie McMurray 7
Greg Biffle 8
Kasey Kahne 9
Jeff Burton 10
Jimmie Johnson 11
Tony Stewart 12

what, no love for martin????

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Im not very optimistic about tommorows race. Cars that are aerodynamically screwed up + setups that handle like crap + a tire that cant take it + a track with no grip = a really really really bad race. I anticipate large gaps in the feild, followed by phantom debris cautions to bunch them up.

We all know my stance on the COT in its current configuration but im not sure this track couldnt use a new pavement. Lowes was repaved it is still a great race track.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Im not very optimistic about tommorows race. Cars that are aerodynamically screwed up + setups that handle like crap + a tire that cant take it + a track with no grip = a really really really bad race. I anticipate large gaps in the feild, followed by phantom debris cautions to bunch them up.

I've been to a track where they raced buses before and it was a pretty good show! You can't be saying that the old car wasn't aerodynamically screwed up with week after week of the dreaded aero push talk. Crappy setups? These crew chiefs are adapting to this car more every week. For the most part, the same teams are running up front that have always run up front. Nothing changed there. They have a new tire here that was tested here in January. I guess the've got what the've got.

From David Poole article......

"We're going to have issues," Jeff Gordon said. "This weekend is really going to be about survival. I don't want this to be taken the wrong way. ...I believe that this track...is possibly the most difficult track in the world to build a tire for. So I certainly credit Goodyear for their efforts, but it's almost beyond what they can do, or any tire manufacturer.

Complete article here..... http://www.thatsracin.com/135/story/4948.html

IMO the no grip thing makes for a better race. It seems like most times that if they have to much grip everyone runs the one, fastest grove around the track and we see single file racing. This track is notorious for spread out racing. How long has it been since there's been 20 or more cars finish on the lead lap on this track? I'll save you time, it was Nov 8th, 1998. 21 races ago. The race was shortened by rain. New car or old car, things aren't to much different. While there have been a few close finishes, it's normally a spread out event. We probably are not going to see the real racing that is going on back in the pack. Fox will focus it's attention on the top 5 or so. We will get our short glimpses of racing via the Digger sponsored. Digger cam, but that will be it.

Don't take any of this personal Dex. I agree with you on many things, just not this. :buttrock:

Last edited:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
What time does the race start?

And I think the race will be good. I've been watching the last two years' atlanta races and enjoy them.

IMO the no grip thing makes for a better race. It seems like most times that if they have to much grip everyone runs the one, fastest grove around the track and we see single file racing.

I agree. This track plus the no testing gives the opportunity for exciting racing. At least I hope so. ;)