JVC KD-AVX77 with KS-SRA100

n0c7

Jul 20, 2009
After using the Alpine KCA-SC100 and experiencing nothing but "Searching for unit" issues and missing text/artist information on random startup and going through 3 modules, I'm on a hunt for a new setup.

Is anyone using a JVC setup with the KS-SRA100? If so, are you experiencing any Sirius related issues at all? The JVC KS-SRA100 and Alpine KCA-SC100 look IDENTICAL and I do not want the same headaches. I've heard people complaining of the searching/startup issues with Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, and Kenwood.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
If you have an Alpine aftermarket radio you will have to use an alpine set up. Just because the JVC and Alpine units looks identical does not mean they are cross compatible. Also, are you using the SCC1 with the KCA-SC100. If so, have you only swapped the KCA-SC100 or have you swapped the SCC1 as well? If not, the SCC1 could be the route of the problem.

n0c7

Jul 20, 2009
If you have an Alpine aftermarket radio you will have to use an alpine set up. Just because the JVC and Alpine units looks identical does not mean they are cross compatible. Also, are you using the SCC1 with the KCA-SC100. If so, have you only swapped the KCA-SC100 or have you swapped the SCC1 as well? If not, the SCC1 could be the route of the problem.

I don't plan to use the Alpine KCA-SC100 with the JVC head unit. I'm worried that since the Alpine KCA-SC100 and the JVC KS-SRA100 "look" identical that they probably have the same board inside the case and that they may have the same issues.

When I was running the Alpine setup I tried 3 KCA-SC100's, 3 SCC1's, and 2 iDA-X305 head units and had the same issue.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I don't plan to use the Alpine KCA-SC100 with the JVC head unit.

Ok, so you have a JVC then? I wasn't sure because you did not indicate that in your first post. So here is what I am assuming now. You had an alpine and had issues with it even after swapping it multiple times. You now have a JVC unit that you want to get sat for but you are worried you will have the same problems because the alpine and JVC translators look the same. I can tell you this shouldn't be an issue because you are dealing with a completely different head unit. Also, are you using or did you use an SCC1 to go along with your alpine translator?

n0c7

Jul 20, 2009
Ok, so you have a JVC then? I wasn't sure because you did not indicate that in your first post. So here is what I am assuming now. You had an alpine and had issues with it even after swapping it multiple times. You now have a JVC unit that you want to get sat for but you are worried you will have the same problems because the alpine and JVC translators look the same. I can tell you this shouldn't be an issue because you are dealing with a completely different head unit. Also, are you using or did you use an SCC1 to go along with your alpine translator?

Pretty much bang on except I haven't committed to purchasing the JVC unit yet as I wanted to get some feedback regarding the sat units and any known issues. Yes, I did use an SCC1 with the Alpine translator.

n0c7

Jul 20, 2009
OK, gotchya. I don't think you will have those kinds of issues with the JVC translator. We have had extremely good luck with them in the past. Here's a link in case you are shopping around: JVC SIRIUS Connect Interface KS-SRA100

Not sure what climate you're in, but here we can get down to -40C. The Alpine SC100 died when it hit about -10C. Any known temperature issues with the JVC KS-SRA100?

Thanks for the link, they have alot of Sirius addons and equipment that I may be interested in. I'm guessing you work for them. Glad to get some advice from people who actually sell these products.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
As far as temperature issues, none exactly to my knowledge. I checked the manual and it doesn't have any temperature ratings in it. I had a few aftermarket pieces when i was stationed in Alaska and it would get down to -50 and -60 sometimes. CD players don't work so well at that temperature but other devices like cell phones and iPods would still work.

No problem about sending you the link. I work for the company. Let me know if there's more I can do for you.

n0c7

Jul 20, 2009
I just received my JVC KD-AVX77 and JVC KS-SRA100. I've been bench testing the setup for 2 days and have not had any Sirius related issues yet. I've pretty much concluded testing and will be installing the stereo once I receive a few additional parts.

On that note, physically the JVC KS-SRA100 and Alpine SC100 are definitely identical except for the chassis color. Even the packaging of each is the same, as well as all of the wiring/cables.

Hopefully the JVC KS-SRA100 will work better in the long term with the JVC KD-AVX77 than the Alpine SC100 did with the Alpine iDA-X305.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I just wanted to let you know that I have had very good luck with JVC parts. While I don't have the JVC KS-SRA100 SIRIUS part that you have been referring to so can't exactly comment on its reliability, I have the older SIR-JVC1 SIRIUS tuner hooked up to a JVC head unit.

Both JVC products have been working flawlessly for me for the last 3+ yrs. No issues at all. This is the first generation one piece unit that came out years ago that basically contains the tuner and interface in ONE box. I have thought about switching to the KS-SRA100 set-up since it will allow you to also hook up my portable Starmate 5 PnP unit (w/ SCVDOC1 part) & therefore avoid an additional radio charge if I wanted, but I just haven't made the leap yet. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

I guess what I'm getting at is I think you will be satisfied with the JVC products. I know I have been more than happy over the years.

n0c7

Jul 20, 2009
Thanks for the info. I've got the system installed in the vehicle and so far so good!