Just upgraded to Stiletto 2...

k2fatbob

Jun 25, 2009
My SL100 went on the fritz about 30 days ago. I was constantly getting the USB error and random restarts. I bought the SL100 in April 2007 I also purchased the 4 year extended warranty from Best Buy. Best Buy replaced with a Stiletto 2 no problem. 2 days in I am enjoying the new radio and it is nice to have a radio that is working correctly again. I did not buy the home & car docking stations yet. I am going to try and hack my SL100 home and car kits to fit the Stiletto 2. Has anyone tried this? I want to give it a shot before I plunk down another $100 for the two kits.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My SL100 went on the fritz about 30 days ago. I was constantly getting the USB error and random restarts. I bought the SL100 in April 2007 I also purchased the 4 year extended warranty from Best Buy. Best Buy replaced with a Stiletto 2 no problem. 2 days in I am enjoying the new radio and it is nice to have a radio that is working correctly again. I did not buy the home & car docking stations yet. I am going to try and hack my SL100 home and car kits to fit the Stiletto 2. Has anyone tried this? I want to give it a shot before I plunk down another $100 for the two kits.

Yes it has been done. Look in the old SBS section and you should see a thread with detailed instructions. If my memory servers, the car kit mods will leave your SL2 a bit loose so you may consider only doing the home dock.

Did you remember to re-up the warrenttee @ BB?

k2fatbob

Jun 25, 2009
IdRather thanks for the quick response. I will go out there and take a look and see what I can find. I had a feeling that the unit will be a little loose but I might be able to live with it. I did kick out $40 for the new 4 year warranty. I wonder how many units Best Buy has replaced over the years. I’m curious to see if they are making any money on the Stiletto line over the years.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
IdRather thanks for the quick response. I will go out there and take a look and see what I can find. I had a feeling that the unit will be a little loose but I might be able to live with it. I did kick out $40 for the new 4 year warranty. I wonder how many units Best Buy has replaced over the years. I’m curious to see if they are making any money on the Stiletto line over the years.

Those things for them most part are cash cows. A loss on one product is more than made up for by the gains on others. Plus, they would also gain markup in most cases on new docks, etc. which are not covered.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Found it: http://www.digitalradiocentral.com/...letto-100-home-dock-conversion-stiletto2.html

Thanks again for the help. I think I am going to try it this weekend

I did the mod to two of my home docks and my car dock too. It works great for all of them. I didn't even bother gluing new rains on either. It's been about a year or so, with no problems. I did buy a new dock for the office though. That one takes the most use.

Enjoy the upgrade,and welcome to the DRC!

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I did the mod to two of my home docks and my car dock too. It works great for all of them. I didn't even bother gluing new rains on either. It's been about a year or so, with no problems.

Same here, and it's been over 1 1/2 years with ZERO problems on both docks (used every day). Don't worry about the slight looseness. Oh yeah, I made the same modification to my SL100 executive dock as well.

k2fatbob

Jun 25, 2009
I ended up just taking the back cover off of the Stiletto 2 when I use the car docking station and it worked great. I think that might be the easiest fix of all. By the way I lost my best of XM channels this morning on my Wi-Fi feed. I am going to give them a call right now and see what is up.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I ended up just taking the back cover off of the Stiletto 2 when I use the car docking station and it worked great. I think that might be the easiest fix of all. By the way I lost my best of XM channels this morning on my Wi-Fi feed. I am going to give them a call right now and see what is up.

In the time it takes you to take the battery cover off just once, you can modify the dock by slicing the guides off. I'd worry that taking the battery cover off and on repeatedly to dock the receiver might cause you problems down the road (like eventuallythe plastic pieces that hold the cover on will wear out so much that the cover won't snap into place properly). Just a thought.

Remember, cutting the guides off ANY SL10/100 dock will allow you to use your S2 on that dock with no problems.