Just got the new Blackberry Bold!

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
FED EX just dropped off my new company phone, the blackberry bold!!

Whoever has one and is familiar with the device, please send any cool tips, tricks, etc. I'm on AT+T so please keep that in mind.

Also, hit me any cool (free) apps, anythign else!!

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Let me know what you think. I've been looking at that one as an upgrade from my Curve.

We had to go with the BOLD due to it having the WIFI that the Curve does not. So, in that aspect, it is a big wider than the curve but it will be nice to connect it via USB and use it as a WIFI modem.

So far, I love it but this is my first trip in the blackberry world so my excitement comes a little late. I haven't used the wifi yet because I'm currently at home in my office.

Great features and camera.

Looking for any cool apps to add.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Ive had my Bold for a while now and I still love it. Here is an essential link for all Bold owners:

Bold Tips - Final Version Posted - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Download and read the PDF for tons of cool tips and tricks. I actually emailed it to myself and saved it to my phone for easy access (you can't read PDFs on the bold unless they are in an email or unless you buy a reader).

I run the following apps and would definitely recommend them (sorry, I don't have links on hand but you should be able to find all of these through BB App World or Google):

BBNotePad - cool little notepad app (free I think)

BlackBerry App World - free from RIM and is a good way to download and manage your installed apps

Facebook 1.6 - ok app for facebook. I don't use FB much, but the app can help pass the time if you are bored or whatever

File Manager Pro - basically a file management and zip utility for Blackberrys. It wasn't free but was under $10 and is incredibly useful if you like to manage your own filesystem and not just throw files all over the place.

Google Maps - comes on the Bold and is way cool

Google Sync - free from Google. I use it to sync to my google contacts and calendar. I don't really use the calendar much but I like to sync contacts as a backup in case my phone dies.

Profiler - not free but pretty cheap. it lets you schedule your ringtone settings. for example, I have mine set to go to vibrate when I get to work, then normal when I leave work, and to go to quiet mode around when I go to bed. Very cool and useful app.

Quicklaunch - not free but cheap. Sort of a start menu for the Bold that you can attach to either of the side buttons. I use this one all the time and would not want to be without it!

Slacker - self explanatory

Pandora - self explanatory

Google Voice - very cool app if you have a GV account

Viigo for Blackberry - kind of a cool "all in one" app that is available for free. You configure it to your liking and can get lots of stuff like RSS feeds, podcasts, news, sports, etc... I didn't use it much when I got it but find myself using it more and more.

updated OS from ATT - they recently released a new OS which added visual voicemail and lots of fixes. VVM is very cool and I like it a lot. The new OS also manages memory way better (if you read up on Blackberrys you will see that app memory is a big issue, but you should be ok unless you install hundreds of apps). the catch with this is that they found that the new OS caused network problems and they pulled the update. I would expect a new update to be available any time now.

I also subscribe to MLB Premium for Blackberry which has been awesome during the MLB season. That is a web app though, and nothing to install on the phone.

Enjoy your new phone!

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Ive had my Bold for a while now and I still love it. Here is an essential link for all Bold owners:

Bold Tips - Final Version Posted - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Download and read the PDF for tons of cool tips and tricks. I actually emailed it to myself and saved it to my phone for easy access (you can't read PDFs on the bold unless they are in an email or unless you buy a reader).

I run the following apps and would definitely recommend them (sorry, I don't have links on hand but you should be able to find all of these through BB App World or Google):

BBNotePad - cool little notepad app (free I think)

BlackBerry App World - free from RIM and is a good way to download and manage your installed apps

Facebook 1.6 - ok app for facebook. I don't use FB much, but the app can help pass the time if you are bored or whatever

File Manager Pro - basically a file management and zip utility for Blackberrys. It wasn't free but was under $10 and is incredibly useful if you like to manage your own filesystem and not just throw files all over the place.

Google Maps - comes on the Bold and is way cool

Google Sync - free from Google. I use it to sync to my google contacts and calendar. I don't really use the calendar much but I like to sync contacts as a backup in case my phone dies.

Profiler - not free but pretty cheap. it lets you schedule your ringtone settings. for example, I have mine set to go to vibrate when I get to work, then normal when I leave work, and to go to quiet mode around when I go to bed. Very cool and useful app.

Quicklaunch - not free but cheap. Sort of a start menu for the Bold that you can attach to either of the side buttons. I use this one all the time and would not want to be without it!

Slacker - self explanatory

Pandora - self explanatory

Google Voice - very cool app if you have a GV account

Viigo for Blackberry - kind of a cool "all in one" app that is available for free. You configure it to your liking and can get lots of stuff like RSS feeds, podcasts, news, sports, etc... I didn't use it much when I got it but find myself using it more and more.

updated OS from ATT - they recently released a new OS which added visual voicemail and lots of fixes. VVM is very cool and I like it a lot. The new OS also manages memory way better (if you read up on Blackberrys you will see that app memory is a big issue, but you should be ok unless you install hundreds of apps). the catch with this is that they found that the new OS caused network problems and they pulled the update. I would expect a new update to be available any time now.

I also subscribe to MLB Premium for Blackberry which has been awesome during the MLB season. That is a web app though, and nothing to install on the phone.

Enjoy your new phone!

Awesome! Thank you for the links and the recommended apps!

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
It's free on ATT for the Bold. To get the functionality you need to install the latest OS from ATT. You can either go download the package and install it with RIM desktop tools, or do it over the air (OTA) on your phone:

1. Go to Options > Advanced Options > Wireless Update and let it install the new OS. I would use the desktop tools to backup my phone first. The update takes a good hour or so and will "unregister" any paid apps that you have, so make sure that you have all the activation codes on hand before you do the upgrade.

2. After your phone is updated and hopefully working fine, go to the ATT online account management page and find the screen that lets you manage addons to your account. Visual Voicemail is now an option on that page. Activate the option online and save the changes.

3. Open the VVM app on your phone and go through the setup. The app will probably be in your downloads folder. Some people have had to muck around a bit to get it to work. I had to call from another phone and leave myself a voicemail to get things working. After the voicemail showed up on my phone VVM worked fine. Since then it's been working great for me. Note that after you activate this option your voicemail box will be wiped and re-initialized. So you lose all your existing messages and have to re-record your outgoing message. But you can do that on your phone via the VVM app!

good luck!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
We had to go with the BOLD due to it having the WIFI that the Curve does not. So, in that aspect, it is a big wider than the curve but it will be nice to connect it via USB and use it as a WIFI modem.

So far, I love it but this is my first trip in the blackberry world so my excitement comes a little late. I haven't used the wifi yet because I'm currently at home in my office.

Great features and camera.

Looking for any cool apps to add.

That was going to be my next question about the Wifi, but if it's got it that'd be the clincher for me. I'd hate to lose it after switching from the iPhone. I've also heard it's a lot faster than the iPhone is as far as 3G and wifi and overall operability.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It is good to see that many of the iPhone only features are now coming RIM phones. SWEET! If they had a bit better browser though the one they have isn't too bad, but it certainly isn't Safari.

I think Verizon's new 5X's more 3G than AT&T and garner them some subscribers away from AT&T and of course they would need a phone that at least is in the same ballpark the the iPhone.

However, this day and time, no wifi, no thank you!