Jon's Favorite Songs

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
One of those old CCR songs that doesn't get overplayed to death. One I used to hear on Deep Tracks when I subscribed to the old XM.

Commotion.

Love the guitar tone in that one.

Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Nice little treat for the ride home from work this evening courtesy of 'The Spectrum.' Two favorites, one old one new-ish.

Led Zeppelin - What is and what should never be

and Local folks The Lumineers - Ophelia

Reactions: HecticArt

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Another edition of the Favorite Songs, and one I had forgotten about for a while before hearing it on Outlaw Country the other day.

A rendition of an old Dire Straits tune done by Shooter Jennings, aka Waylon's kid. Here is the Outlaw Country Legend's offspring, who's doing pretty okay for himself, covering the song 'Walk of Life.'

And of course, the original rendition by Dire Straits themselves.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
While we don't have a whole hell of a lot of Country fans beyond yours truly on these boards. I did give a listen to Outlaw Country on the way home from the doctor's office, and was blown away by this tune from Chris Stapleton called "The Devil Named Music"

Chris Stapleton is a songwriter that is responsible for a lot of the songs you're used to hearing on Country radio nowadays, and now is doing his own thing. And doing it well judging by this tune.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Haven't heard this one for a while, but caught it on Deep Tracks on the ride up to Cheyenne.

Little Feat - Hate to Lose Your Lovin'

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Another one off the Apple Music favorites playlist.

Massive Attack - Safe from Harm

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
More country that you're not bloody likely to hear on the radio nowadays (unless it's an 80's and 90's station like Prime Country, but even then)

First, from an artist that went more folk after she was one of the artists pretty much banished from Nashville for one reason or the other.

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Shut Up and Kiss Me

Next, from another Bakersfield sound artist, who just barely touched Nashville stardom, but never quite made it all the way.

Gary Allan - Songs about Rain

Next, one that I almost considered including in my top 200. Another one of those songs that is wildly misinterpreted in society. The original songwriter wrote the song about an abused, fed-up wife who burns her house down on the 4th of July, as told from the perspective of their 9-year old daughter. Given the title and the context of 'some' of the lyrics, the conservatives ate this song up and turned it in to one of their anthems. As it happens, the original songwriter is also a bleeding heart liberal, and donates the royalties to Democratic/Progressive causes.

Martina McBride - Independence Day

And last, an artist you're more likely to hear on Outlaw Country than anything having to do with Nashville, but who is doing pretty well for himself.

Cody Jinks - I'm Not the Devil

Last edited:

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Mary Chapin Carpenter
The only country artist I own a CD from! And I've owned over a 1000 CDs........

ce365d958ba116fb3f2255f6b08b26d3.jpg

Reactions: Jon and goreds2