John Darby

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Anybody listening to CBL right now?

As I'm listening I'm hearing a speaking technique that is used by politicians and lawyers, etc.

I don't know what it would be called but what's done is to speak in a monotone voice and speak slowly. It kills time and lures the other person to sleep and/or calms them down. Takes them off their game so to speak.

Their is a name for it but I can't recall what it is. It was used by Bill Clinton when he had to go before the special jury in the perjury case. Clinton's lawyer's had allowed a certain amount of time for questions to be asked and so when Clinton would get a question he would be extremely lengthly in his answer to kill time.

The reason I bring this up is because I've heard other nascar big-wigs on other shows and they ALL do the same thing. And before you know it an hour is gone. Like tonight I think Darby only took three calls.

CBL had to ask him the same question twice before he addressed the question and even then he didn't say much.

NoWayHozay

Jan 5, 2009
Anybody listening to CBL right now?

As I'm listening I'm hearing a speaking technique that is used by politicians and lawyers, etc.

I don't know what it would be called but what's done is to speak in a monotone voice and speak slowly. It kills time and lures the other person to sleep and/or calms them down. Takes them off their game so to speak.

Their is a name for it but I can't recall what it is. It was used by Bill Clinton when he had to go before the special jury in the perjury case. Clinton's lawyer's had allowed a certain amount of time for questions to be asked and so when Clinton would get a question he would be extremely lengthly in his answer to kill time.

The reason I bring this up is because I've heard other nascar big-wigs on other shows and they ALL do the same thing. And before you know it an hour is gone. Like tonight I think Darby only took three calls.

CBL had to ask him the same question twice before he addressed the question and even then he didn't say much.

You still listen to Claire B. Lang?

May I ask how you do it?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
She usually gets good interviews.
As to the original post, I know what you're talking about. I didn't hear the interview but I've heard many a politician talk like that. they can say a lot without really saying anything at all.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Oh CBL still ticks me off with the yap yap yappin' :p but she will get people on the air that other shows don't get. And she gets great sound clips from drivers and team members, etc.

And since I don't drive a rig anymore I don't get to listen to much during the day so I want to listen to stuff at night. But I will switch to other stuff at times like NFL, comedy, etc.

As to the original post, I know what you're talking about.

It's a technique that's taught in university's with debate clubs, etc.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Oh CBL still ticks me off with the yap yap yappin' :p but she will get people on the air that other shows don't get. And she gets great sound clips from drivers and team members, etc.

It's a technique that's taught in university's with debate clubs, etc.

Persuasive speaking perhaps?

CBL's style is certainly different but she does get great guests that are the 'hot topic' of the moment. You learn a little something more about the sport if you listen to her show. That can't be said about most of the shows on 128.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Drivers going to NASCAR about this issue is nothing new at all. I think that we all have extremely short memories. NASCAR has been warning drivers about this issue for years in the drivers meeting and on the track. This time they said if the drivers aren't going to police it themselves, they'd do it for them.

I agree completely with what I heard Moody say yesterday. The parade that we saw on Sunday was simply drivers choice. They raced two, three, & four wide in the beginning, some of the middle and then again at the end of the race. If they could do it then, they could have done it the entire race. The rules had nothing to do with that at all. They didn't change during the race.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah, the straight line racing at 'dega has happened many times at that track. That's just one of the reasons I don't make a point to watch that race.

The other night CBL played a clip of JJ of which she says he all but admitted that he too was one of the drivers who went to nascar.

For me, the most exciting thing to happen to 'dega lately was the two car break away thing. It was bringing some life to that race. And for that I would watch 'dega. But now the drivers aren't going to do it for fear of being black flagged.