Joaquin Pheonix on Letterman

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
They played the clips on Stern today but just hearing the audio DOES NOT do this justice. It is being reported on all major media and is of course all over the internet. Christian Bale is probably doing cart wheels over this performance so he is out of the spotlight.

But can we talk about this, please? Is this an act? Is he really this weird? Is he drugged out?

Letterman was hilarious, brutal at times and I don't even know if Pheonix got it for the most part.

Thoughts here. And if you haven't seen the clip, here it is:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1xK6xz8d9Q]YouTube - Joaquin Phoenix On Letterman 2-11-09[/ame]

Reactions: mrpacs

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
Wow!!! LOL.....what the heck was wrong with him besides not combing his hair, scruffy beard (and hair for that matter).

As hilarious and brutal as Dave was, do you think that was all part of a act between the two of them?? I just can't believe how funny Dave was and how Joaquin just sat there when most of it went right over his scruffy head.
He was awesome and "hot" in Walk the Line. You can't even recgonize it is the same person.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I watched it, and was torn between feeling sorry for him, wondering if he was all hopped up, and thinking he was a d'bag.

LOTS of speculation that he did it as an act (he is a fantastic actor after all) so we would be talking about him like this and his band. Since he's into the hip-hop, he may be trying to give himself a bad boy image so people take the music more . . . . seriously.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Check YouTube for the entire segment. It was funny. Not sure if he was being real or just busting balls. It was a bit awkward to say the least.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
The one thing that makes me think it was some sort of work was at the very end, as he's leaving, he steps over to Dave to shake hands, and takes the sunglasses off. Seemed a bit out of 'character' from how he was behaving through the rest of the interview. Add that to a few apparent chuckles and smiles from Phoenix during the interview, and I say work. Not sure if Dave was in on it, but no matter, it was a riot.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
They played the clips on Stern today but just hearing the audio DOES NOT do this justice. It is being reported on all major media and is of course all over the internet. Christian Bale is probably doing cart wheels over this performance so he is out of the spotlight.

But can we talk about this, please? Is this an act? Is he really this weird? Is he drugged out?

Letterman was hilarious, brutal at times and I don't even know if Pheonix got it for the most part.

Thoughts here. And if you haven't seen the clip, here it is:

YouTube - Joaquin Phoenix On Letterman 2-11-09

Wow. I look like the guy! :eek:

I hope it's a turn-on for the ladies.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
My favorite line was:

Letterman: Joaquin, Im sorry you couldnt be with us tonight.

Mine is : "I'll go over your house and chew gum". To which Phoenix takes the gum from his mouth and put's it under Dave's desk! I thought he was going to go off on Dave at that point.

deedee

Oct 16, 2008
New York, New York
To me Dave is the "King" of night time talk shows.......... :hatsoff::hatsoff:

If you are going to come on Dave's show with thinking you are going to come out on top - so not going to happen......... He just does not care he is CBS

does it show that I'm a fan of dave's ;)

Reactions: Blitz71

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Dave's lost his touch in the last few years. Used to be a scream, now not so much. Not that Leno is that much better. I just wish we had a third choice.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
Most entertaining and interesting interview on Letterman I've ever seen. Tension, uncertainty, improvisation. If it was staged they did a good job.

Much better than the usual lets make a few jokes about your boring personal life, then you plug your movie snooze fest.