Jimmie Johnson not an athlete?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
We've been over this many times. Regardless of what Doneoven says, Jimmie is an athlete.

I just hope they don't try & convince him otherwise. I don't want to see a washed up quarterback in a race car, trying to go 180 into turn one at CMS :(

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Yeah. Nothing you can say will ever convince some people. Just let them think what they want & don't bother talking with them :right:

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
They are race car drivers.

Semi drives 10 hours a day, he must be like Joe Montana.

You really think driving an air conditioned sedan down an empty highway at 70 mph is the same thing as being in a 130F hotbox at a 36 degree angle with cars 2 inches away running 200 mph for 4 hours?

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
You really think driving an air conditioned sedan down an empty highway at 70 mph is the same thing as being in a 130F hotbox at a 36 degree angle with cars 2 inches away running 200 mph for 4 hours?

You've never driven in Dallas rush hour in July with a broken air conditioner! I have, doesn't make me an athlete.

Never said it was easy to drive a racecar, but it's not an athletic activity.

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013

I agree with this. What they do requires physical and mental toughness but it doesn't mean they are athletes. Of course there are drivers that are athletes but not all drivers are athletes.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
So they sweat, that doesn't make them athletes. Obese Truckers sweat all the time, they're definitely not athletes. I consider myself in pretty good shape, that doesn't mean I could join the NFL tomorrow.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
From Merriam-Webster Search for iPhone

Main Entry: ath·lete
Pronunciation: \ˈath-ˌlēt, ÷ˈa-thə-ˌlēt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlētēs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest
Date: 15th century
: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Also ...

are race car drivers athletes - Google Search

You get quite a debate on the subject, including the comments from Ronald McNabb :right:

You have to have some athleticism when piloting a race car on a track. A lot more than someone like me, who can drive 500 miles daily ...

It's not like these guy are driving around with one finger on the steering wheel & the other resting on the gear shifter (that's what I do :)).

These guys (and gals) are strapped into a 3000lbs car that can go 200 MPH. Most tracks are bumpy & toss the car around worse than an Indiana interstate ...

G-forces push a driver right (or right & left on a road course).

Can anyone do it? I'm sure most people can at lower speeds, but very few can do it at the speeds they do it at. For hours at a time.

Even the most out of shape NASCAR driver (Tony Stewart), has to be athletic to a point.

Danica Patrick might not be the strongest driver, and the cars might be easier to drive than cars they raced 30 years ago, but even she needs to be athletic to race in NASCAR :)

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
You've never driven in Dallas rush hour in July with a broken air conditioner! I have, doesn't make me an athlete.

Dude. Really? I've heard of comparing apples to oranges but you are comparing apples to kale.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Dude. Really? I've heard of comparing apples to oranges but you are comparing apples to kale.

Driving 70-80 mph in 4 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic is pretty demanding. Especially since most of those people don't have good driving skills in the first place.