Jimmie Johnson is the best driver of this decade.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Most wins, most championships, most laps led, most top 5's, most top 5 in points finishes, 1 Daytona 500, 2 Indys, 3 600's, 1 Southern 500. Hes never had a bad season. What more can you say about the guy.

But I feel he doesnt get the respect he deserves for whatever reason. All the talk is this is Kyle era, well winning Truck races is all good and fine, but while Kyle is beating up the kids, Jimmie has been laying it down and stomping on the men.

Thoughts?

Jager

Nov 16, 2008
Virginia
Most wins, most championships, most laps led, most top 5's, most top 5 in points finishes, 1 Daytona 500, 2 Indys, 3 600's, 1 Southern 500. Hes never had a bad season. What more can you say about the guy.

But I feel he doesnt get the respect he deserves for whatever reason. All the talk is this is Kyle era, well winning Truck races is all good and fine, but while Kyle is beating up the kids, Jimmie has been laying it down and stomping on the men.

Thoughts?

Bravo! Bravo! :bigclap:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yeah, but can he handle one of these?!

Thanks Xan

Reactions: antsie

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
You're probably right.
But now I know how people felt about Jeff Gordon in the 90s. He's a great driver and deserves everything he's gotten because him and Chad have earned it, but god damn am I sick of seeing him win championships every year.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
The numbers don't lie. Do you think it bothers him that he's usually "under the radar"? Maybe that's the reason for the bearded, tougher look.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I don't know if it bothers him or not. History will show how well he's done.besides, who wants to be under that microscope that Dale Jr and Kyle Busch are always under? I wouldn't.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
"History will show how well he's done"

I hope so but somehow I doubt it. Jeff Gordon was made into a mega-star with his success. You could almost argue that Johnson has been more successful, more consistently, with tougher competition than Gordon had. I think its because Johnson is just not a hateable/likeable guy.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
"History will show how well he's done"

I hope so but somehow I doubt it. Jeff Gordon was made into a mega-star with his success. You could almost argue that Johnson has been more successful, more consistently, with tougher competition than Gordon had. I think its because Johnson is just not a hateable/likeable guy.

Jimmie came along to Hendrick in Jeff's shadow, and perhaps still lives there. If Jeff <gulp> retires with back trouble, Jimmie without a doubt would be the flagship of the Hendrick pack. Then he might get the media attention he deserves.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Jimmie is the flagship of the Hendrick Pack right now. Another thing I thought of was when Gordon was killing everyone, he had that rivalry with Earnhardt, Martin, Jarrett, and Rusty that cemented him as the antagonist. Beating those guys gave fans a reason to care. Jimmie is just crushing everyone, and doesnt have a rivralry with anybody.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Everything Dex said is true. But I still say the last thing this sport needs is JJ winning another championship. For lots of reasons JJ doesn't get the attention of a big part of the nascar fan base.

when Gordon was killing everyone, he had that rivalry with Earnhardt, Martin, Jarrett, and Rusty that cemented him as the antagonist. Beating those guys gave fans a reason to care. Jimmie is just crushing everyone, and doesnt have a rivralry with anybody.

Also true. I think Kyle is trying to get a rivalry going with Jr. but so far Jr. isn't runing well enough to get it going. Maybe that will change in the near future.

Also so much of this sport has become very PC which I attribute to the sponsors and people see right through that stuff.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Plus how many championships would he have won if NASCAR actually had the balls to send that team packing when ole Cheatin Chad got caught so many times during those "championship" runs.

I still don't think he won the Daytona 500 a few years back, simply b/c he shouldn't have been in that race thanks to Cheatin Chad.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Plus how many championships would he have won if NASCAR actually had the balls to send that team packing when ole Cheatin Chad got caught so many times during those "championship" runs.

I still don't think he won the Daytona 500 a few years back, simply b/c he shouldn't have been in that race thanks to Cheatin Chad.

Lots of top name teams have been caught cheating or 'bending' the rules and haven't been sent home. They let Waltrip race in the 500 the next year when they got caught breaking the rules.

Jager

Nov 16, 2008
Virginia
Lots of top name teams have been caught cheating or 'bending' the rules and haven't been sent home. They let Waltrip race in the 500 the next year when they got caught breaking the rules.

Well said Snoozer. I'm sure Cheatin Chad isn't the only guy in the garage that's been caught.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Cheating Chad?

What nonsense. I seem to remember Tony Stewart, Jamie Mcmurray, Rusty Wallace, Jeff Gordon, DALE EARNHARDT JR!! all caught with aero modifications to their car. Remember when Tony's entire car was demeed illegal?

So Chad and Johnson isnt the only one.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Cheating Chad?

What nonsense. I seem to remember Tony Stewart, Jamie Mcmurray, Rusty Wallace, Jeff Gordon, DALE EARNHARDT JR!! all caught with aero modifications to their car. Remember when Tony's entire car was demeed illegal?

So Chad and Johnson isnt the only one.

I guess what I was trying to say is if you get caught before the race you go home for that week and the next week, and if it is aftert the race you get caught you do not get to go to the next 2, I don't give a crap who it is.

Cheatin Chad Knaus has been caught more times in the last 5 years than anybody else in the garage area.