Jeff Gordon - Back Problems Continue

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Not great news for the Gordon fans out there. I can't imagine what it would be like to deal with back pain under those G-forces. I'd hate to see him end up retiring because of something like this.

From the ESPN article.....

Jeff Gordon says he has decided not to have a second procedure to deal with an achy back and instead will try to deal with the pain.

Jeff Gordon opts to not have second back procedure - ESPN

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
If he retires now, he'll be remembered as a driver that was always competitive and ran up front. If he were to continue racing and not be competitive, then he'll be remembered like Rusty Wallace, Darrell Waltrip, Bill Elliott, Terry Labonte, Dale Jarrett. All great drivers that stopped winning, or maybe won one last race in the last full time season :worried:

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Bad news for sure:( back problems aren't fun. Here's hoping he can pulloff that 5th title before he has to retire

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
When you have back trouble it will mess up your whole life no matter what you do for a living. I can't imagine it for a racer.

Art Bell retired from full time radio because of back trouble.

Tom Sholtz had to record a Boston album laying on his back with his guitar.

It would indeed be a shame for back trouble to take Jeff out of racing.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I can't help but wonder if yesterdays wreck has Gordon thinking about his future plans in this sport. He was obviously in some pain after the wreck and further aggravated his back injury. :scratch:

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I was thinking the same thing. I threw my back out or pulled something in it in June working around the house moving somethings. It made work for the next 2 weeks terrible. And I sit in an office all day. I can't imagine what Gordon must feel like getting into that car each week.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
A while back he mentioned that if he didn't get that procedure done on his back, he didn't know how he could handle Bristol again. I heard him mention Bristol once again, yesterday, either during the MRN or ESPN broadcast. I've never heard him mention the word, retirement, but I just wonder how long he'd be willing to put up with the pain and great possibility of further injury. I'd have to assume that he's done enough in his life that he could quit now and continue to live his current lifestyle. Heck, enjoy life!

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
A while back he mentioned that if he didn't get that procedure done on his back, he didn't know how he could handle Bristol again. I heard him mention Bristol once again, yesterday, either during the MRN or ESPN broadcast. I've never heard him mention the word, retirement, but I just wonder how long he'd be willing to put up with the pain and great possibility of further injury. I'd have to assume that he's done enough in his life that he could quit now and continue to live his current lifestyle. Heck, enjoy life!

Yeah if it's that bad retire now while you're at the top of you're game. He could still mentor other drivers at Hendrick (He mentioned wanting to work there still when done racing) and not be committed to the weekely grind.
If places like Bristol are killing him its not worth it. Like you said he's got more than enough money.

Hmmm could this mean Brad in the 24 in 2 years?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
2 years? What about next year? What if Jeff ran a part-time schedule (Martin style!).

I could see that. I just figured Jeff would want to give at least a one season 'goodbye tour' but I guess if his backs that bad it wouldn't be worth it.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
As a long time Dale Earnhardt Sr. fan, I've been programmed to hate Jeff Gordon but I'd hate to see him or anyone have to get out of the sport due to an injury. Jeff Gordon's slowly becoming the 'old man' of the sport and I'd like to see him continue for years to come. Hopefully he gets better, somehow, during the off season.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
In my opinion Jeff Gordon is going no where.... Not yet anyways... He says his back is not that bad as long as he keeps working out and doing his stretches... I think alot of people are just making too much of this right now.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
In my opinion Jeff Gordon is going no where.... Not yet anyways... He says his back is not that bad as long as he keeps working out and doing his stretches... I think alot of people are just making too much of this right now.

Possibly, possibly not. It's much more fun to speculate though!

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
He nneds to have a chat with Joe Montana on what it's like to live with a back injury. Joe was broke & put back together & I have a feeling, as time goes by, you're going to see Joe do a lot less walking, & a lot more sitting :worried:

Jeff has already done more than 99.9% of all Cup drivers in the history of this sport. He has nothing to prove by staying in the sport. His records speak for themselves.

His quality of life should be the most inportant thing. I don't think he'd make a big deal out of retiring either. If he were to retire at the end of this year, I'm sure the would announce it just before the chase. One last hoorah :)
Posted via Mobile Device