Jay leno show not to be aired in boston at 10pm!

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
His show doesn't even start until the Fall, I don't think this is exactly earth shattering news. It'll last until Monday.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen more before he airs. They got the bright idea to try and put pretty much the same show on at 10 instead of 11:30, but the station is catching flak for trying the same move with their news program...

The 10 o'clock news on the Fox channel here, KTVU, is pretty damn popular and you're not competing with the other 3 network news programs at that point.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Sounds very strange or just the local station throwing their weight around. I guess it might make sense if they really don't think it will get ratings but if it does, this is a dumb move. Stern will relish this but we won't hear about it for a while, sadly. Vacation next week?

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
It doesn't surprise me that WHDH wants to pre-empt Leno; Ed Ansen's notorious for knocking out certain shows for local programming. His WSVN in Miami lost their NBC affiliation because of this over 20 years ago.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It doesn't surprise me that WHDH wants to pre-empt Leno; Ed Ansen's notorious for knocking out certain shows for local programming. His WSVN in Miami lost their NBC affiliation because of this over 20 years ago.

Yeah...I remember that. It was a mess with affiliation swaps in S. Florida for a few years. NBC and Ed Asnin did not see eye to eye, and I think that NBC saw buying WTVJ as a way to stick it to WSVN. Things worked out well for him, though. WSVN became a stronger operation in the long-run, and has done will with Fox. They have some news operation in Miami. A real pioneer in the tabloid style format for TV news.

In Boston, when WBZ (along with the other Westinghouse stations) decided to flip to CBS, that left NBC scrambling to find a home in Boston. Fox and NBC really duked it out for an affiliation agreement with WHDH. Fox was on UHF and wanted to be on a VHF stick, and figured they could leverage their existing relationship with Asnin to make that happen...thus leaving NBC to move to a UHF stick. I was surprised when NBC won that one. You'd figure Asnin would want to stick it to NBC for what happened in Miami...but NBC won out in the end. I guess money talks. But I think he would have done better with Fox's sports lineup and American Idol, as opposed to the total crap on NBC.

Now with the DTV transition, there really is not much distinction between UHF and VHF anymore. In fact, low VHF (Channels 2-6) is all but being abandoned.