Jay Leno Rant

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
It's funny that a few days ago, Howard was rant was being scheeved out by Leno being "underpaid" (and heaven forbid, passing money on to those that work on the show so that they are happy and it's quality!). While Leno's comments about Howard not being a man of the people anymore were actually on another topic, he sort of nailed it. Like it or not, Howard is not reaching the masses anymore (although frankly, I couldn't find any of my friends that were listening when he was on the open air...It used to be that people listened to the local guys...now many people I know listen to...NPR!). And as for Leno stealing a million things, Howard is losing his mind. He forgives shlock jocks that truly did rip him off, but Leno, who barely "stole" a bit gets the brunt of his fire because, let's be honest, HE STOLE JOHN, NOT THE HOMELESS GAME!

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
It's funny that a few days ago, Howard was rant was being scheeved out by Leno being "underpaid" (and heaven forbid, passing money on to those that work on the show so that they are happy and it's quality!). While Leno's comments about Howard not being a man of the people anymore were actually on another topic, he sort of nailed it. Like it or not, Howard is not reaching the masses anymore (although frankly, I couldn't find any of my friends that were listening when he was on the open air...It used to be that people listened to the local guys...now many people I know listen to...NPR!). And as for Leno stealing a million things, Howard is losing his mind. He forgives shlock jocks that truly did rip him off, but Leno, who barely "stole" a bit gets the brunt of his fire because, let's be honest, HE STOLE JOHN, NOT THE HOMELESS GAME!

althought he would never admit it, in his world, howard think's jay should have begged him personally for stuttering john and john should have refused the job outta loyalty to stern. and livelihood be damned for stuttering john. He should have been happy being 10th banana on the biggest radio show in the world. well in the world of entertainment, being a bit player on the biggest radio show in the world is no comparision to being a bit player on the tonight show on network television.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Let's be fair - John was at least 7th banana on the HSS, not 10th.

10th would be Scott Salem.

As to the topic, the guy hates Jay for some reason . . . go with the flow. His reasons seem to be far more concrete for hating Jay then they ever were for hating Rosie and/or Kathy Lee, and everyone loved how he hated them.

So what if some of you are Jay fans, you don't have to agree with Howard 100% of the time. He hates Jay, you like Jay. Big whoop. To me, a hate rant is a hate rant, no matter who the target for his anger, and angry Howard is good Howard. But angry Howard is not exactly logical Howard, so taking anything he says at face value is taking it the wrong way, in my humble opinion.

But, what can I say, I like to laugh.

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md
Funny how when Jay brought Howard up,Howard said that Jay should only comment on his own career when Howard actually was commenting on Jay's career.Maybe Jay struck a nerve there.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I thought the show was in decline because Howard is too nice to celebrities and never feuds anymore?

As if all his old feuds were rational on his part.

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md
In the old days he would be relentless,now it seems as though he is trying too hard to start some kind of feud.It's kind of like a dog with no teeth nipping at your heels.I dont think anyone loses sleep over what the spoiled pelican is angry about anymore.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD

I don't agree with Leno's point of Howard no longer reaching the masses, but I understand the construct. If you lived in a big city, you got Howard for free. Now you have to pay (well, the non-criminals have to pay ;)). However, if you live in a smaller area, like somewhere in the Bible Belt for example, you didn't have Howard because no local station carried him. Now you do, for a price (assuming you're not a criminal and stealing the show somehow). From that point of view, Howard is reaching the masses, better than ever.

It all depends on where you are in the country.

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
I don't agree with Leno's point of Howard no longer reaching the masses, but I understand the construct. If you lived in a big city, you got Howard for free. Now you have to pay (well, the non-criminals have to pay ;)). However, if you live in a smaller area, like somewhere in the Bible Belt for example, you didn't have Howard because no local station carried him. Now you do, for a price (assuming you're not a criminal and stealing the show somehow). From that point of view, Howard is reaching the masses, better than ever.

It all depends on where you are in the country.

I think what Leno is insinuating is that no one does Howard's show anymore. At the apex of his terrestrial career, any A lister that was in NYC promoting something would stop by Howard's show; you'd hear them in the morning, and see them on Letterman's show that night. Now its strictly B-listers or less. In Hollywood, the measuring stick of relevance is marked in A-list increments.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I think what Leno is insinuating is that no one does Howard's show anymore. At the apex of his terrestrial career, any A lister that was in NYC promoting something would stop by Howard's show; you'd hear them in the morning, and see them on Letterman's show that night. Now its strictly B-listers or less. In Hollywood, the measuring stick of relevance is marked in A-list increments.

I don't totally agree with that. Howard definitely has fewer A-Listers on, but he still has them. He just gets the ones that WANT to be on his show. On terrestrial, he would often get A-Listers on that didn't want to be there. (Julia Roberts comes to mind.) Good Lord, what horrible radio that was, A-Listers who didn't want to be there! They hardly ever spoke. When they did, they still managed to say nothing.

Now I wish that we would hear more A-Listers on the satellite shows, but only if they wanted to be there and "played ball".

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
I don't totally agree with that.

Neither does Howard, but that's Leno's opinion, and one that has been made before (that LA Times article, for instance). Personally, I find interviews with any celebrity - A or D - boring. The show is its best discovering freaks, shooting the shit, doing bits, or bickering.

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
Neither does Howard, but that's Leno's opinion, and one that has been made before (that LA Times article, for instance). Personally, I find interviews with any celebrity - A or D - boring. The show is its best discovering freaks, shooting the shit, doing bits, or bickering.

I like the interviews. Howard is a great interviewer, especially with comedians. If you want to hear bad interviews with comedians, listen to Bob & Tom. They just ask questions that let the comedians do their routine. Howard gets into their personal lives and usually it's very compelling.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Best interviews since being on Sirius so far have been people I thought were complete asswipes, tools, or boring D-listers:

Ryan Phillippe
Wilmer Valderama
Artemus Pyle
The Dixie Chicks

and Howard made every one of them interesting and compelling.

I couldn't care less about Pyle before then, I thought Phillippe was a pretty boy, Valderama a one-note clown and I simply loathed the Dixie Chicks; but after he got Natalie to talk to Wendy, and found out how much she gets the show, I got a soft spot for her. Plus she's not a stuck-up, snotty, cause celeb type, she's actually pretty funny and can take a joke.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

I like the interviews. Howard is a great interviewer, especially with comedians. If you want to hear bad interviews with comedians, listen to Bob & Tom. They just ask questions that let the comedians do their routine. Howard gets into their personal lives and usually it's very compelling.

I agree, Howard ask’s the questions that others can’t, don’t and wouldn’t for fear of offending the guest, listeners, sponsor or anyone else that may be offended by, open and honest dialogue.

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
I agree, Howard ask’s the questions that others can’t, don’t and wouldn’t for fear of offending the guest, listeners, sponsor or anyone else that may be offended by, open and honest dialogue.

I just don't care enough about celebrities to want to know the answers to those questions. Right now I'm listening to WUS, and Jamie Foxx just came in and totally derailed the show. I just don't care about Jamie Foxx, about what he thinks or does.

Last edited:

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

I just don't care enough about celebrities to want to know the answers to those questions.

I hear what your saying, but I enjoy getting a look into other peoples lives,I think of myself as a student of humanity. Besides most of his interviews are not necessarily with celebrities, Akon, Pete Wentz I dont think they would actually be considered celebrities.

I really like when Ben & Rae give us a glimpse into the world of everything Howard. :clap:

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
I hear what your saying, but I enjoy getting a look into other peoples lives,I think of myself as a student of humanity. Besides most of his interviews are not necessarily with celebrities, Akon, Pete Wentz I dont think they would actually be considered celebrities.

I really like when Ben & Rae give us a glimpse into the world of everything Howard. :clap:

I like interviews, just not with celebrities. Comics, members of families, etc. are great. And Shatner.

Last edited:

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
yesterday was embarrassing how Howard and the others came off going on and on and on about Leno YET AGAIN.

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
Actually, I like when he goes off on somebody, even someone I like. Reminds me of the old days. I guess most here are newer listeners and never heard when he railed on for weeks about Chevy Chase, Rosie, Kathy Lee, Stephen Spielberg, Mancow, etc.