I've Had It With In-depth High Pitch Eric And Big Foot

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I could appreciate High Pitch Eric as a Whack Packer fan and I could take an occasional Big Foot. But I do not find the in-depth news reports on these guys entertaining. First, I do not find them funny. They are time fillers to me. Second, there is something wrong about dwelling on the personal lives of these guys for laughs. The are both mentally disabled people to me. Both sad. Same for Shuli's Underdog Lady bits. He has befriended her and she seems to believe he is a sympathetic person. But we know Howard is playing her sad sack phone calls for laughs which is kind of a betrayal by Shuli (hmmm, wondering if he gets her consent to play them?). I know I am flirting with the political correctness issues. On that subject, I was flipping around and caught a scene from Private Parts. It was when Howard went on the NBC radio for the first time and did a bit on Pig Vomit and other things at his new home. He did the whole bit as Fred's boyfriend in that effeminate ("homo", to use the word he was using then) voice he used to do all the time hen but never does any more. He is basically mocking effeminate homosexuals (I laughed at it back in the KROCK days.) Now that he is the champion of the gay community, wonder if he has any regrets?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
hah, idk if i agree with bark but there does seem to be a pattern where every time u start a thread its negative and i defend the show.

in this case, i have yet to hear any of the high pitch stuff, but i did enjoy the bigfoot in depth piece. the exploitation argument with howard is as old as the show itself. and so is the defense that these wack packers are able to get fame and a (in the case of erik) a ton of free stuff as a result. also many of them get gigs out of being on the show.

as for underdog lady i would be truly shocked if she didnt give permission for her calls to all be recorded and played. they seem so strict about those rules with phony phone calls i doubt it would be different for her.

as for the gay stuff he still went to the homo room with etm no too long ago. and there is a big difference between joking about various issues and not supporting them.

yea howard says all the time he has regrets...i actually hate hearing him say that. all that crazy stern stuff is what made me love the show in the first place.

Reactions: Ehilbert1

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
If you listen to every minute (generally) of every show, aren't you a fan by definition? And if you enjoy many bits and say so, aren't you even more of a fan? In days gone by, everything would be commented upon and I would not have to start something negative. I could do a brief contribution. There were many energetic posters who have since quit the discussion and I have to create a discussion on something that interests me. I am a student of all things Howard, including his warts and love to talk about him. As for Howard and "homos," for all his support of gay folks and all his evolution, you know from his obsession with George's sex life that male gay sex is freakish to him. To be honest, it is to me too. Cannot overcome years of thinking about it that way. Howard should be honest about it too.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
you know from his obsession with George's sex life that male gay sex is freakish to him. To be honest, it is to me too. Cannot overcome years of thinking about it that way. Howard should be honest about it too.
I think I've had this debate before, but I really disagree that Howard discusses it because he thinks it's freakish. He also obsessively talks about hetero sex, bowel movements, and many other things that he in-fact does himself. Any hetero guy will naturally not think of gay sex as desirable for oneself, and that applies to Howard too, but he's by no means singling it out.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I'm just saying that if I assume good faith, you (Neigh) are as I previously described in my eyes. If I assume bad faith, you could be considered an internet troll. I don't assume bad faith, but good. My point is that fellow message board posters ultimately make up their own mind about others on the board, and it comes down to their own interpretation.

And no, just because one listens to every minute of the show does not make one a fan. One could be an obsessive hater and still listen to every minute of the show because one enjoys nitpicking it to death.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
"One could be an obsessive hater and still listen to every minute of the show because one enjoys nitpicking it to death." C'mon. No such a person exists. I have probably posted more than any other active forum member my love for Howard, Robin, Fred and formerly Artie just riffing on news events, celebrity happenings, religion, politics and other stuff. Howard has a real monster side too which I am drawn to like a fly to the fire. That is when he distorts, dissembles and omits facts. Love to hear it. Love to pick it apart.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I also listen to every show from beginning to end (though I skip parts I'm not into), and I also have a love/hate feeling about the show and it's stars. So Neigh is not alone.

I think people who've heard THSS fall into one of 3 categories:
1 - You see him as a racist, sexist bigot who exploits the disabled for entertainment, and showcases different people as freaks.
2 - You find all the antics of the show to be hilarious; the more oddball it is, the funnier it is.
3 - You realize Howard plays a character with a single goal: to entertain. But unlike a scripted TV show, Howard enlists real people which he must exploit, in order to create entertainment; and in doing so, he will often cross a line between acceptable and unacceptable conduct.

Do I have this right?

Reactions: HecticArt

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would put myself in No. 3 but I would not exactly say that Howard is playing a character. Although he sometimes uses that as an excuse for something he has said, I think Howard is, for the most part, playing Howard. That's what makes him so compelling. You know when Howard is pissed.. for real... (Stuttering John hired away by Leno, Sirius refusing to pay him $300,000,000, Daily News calling his stupid, Andrew Dice Clay blaming him for a louse appearance) and you can feel the staff hunkering down.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
4 - Wack Packers - Only The Lord knows what goes on in their brains. Some may be easy to figure out: High-Pitch Eric likes getting swag. Others not so much: Eric the Actor seemed to hate the show, but couldn't pry himself away. Hanzi seems to hate the show too, but never wants to hang up.

As I previously mentioned to Neigh, don't underestimate mental instability being in a sizable portion of the Stern Universe population, the inability of our society to treat said disorders, and our total lack of comprehension as to their stream of consiousness due to us being relatively well-adjusted clear thinking people.

Also to clarify, just because a listener hasn't been identified by the show as a Wack Packer doesn't mean they are not out there listening. Therefore when I use the term "Wack Packer" in this post, I don't mean de jure Wack Packers, just crazy people who could become one if given the exposure.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I pick on Neigh for his negativity from time to time.
I picture him as a "Love to Hate Howard" type more than a troll. It seems to roll with the Stern culture to some degree or another. I mean, Howard is critical of just about everything, he loves a good rant, and a good argument. So I can see where people might be inclined to follow along to a point. I don't get it personally. Like a lot of you have said, I just change the channel when I don't like it.

To each his own. People can debate and rag on Howard as much as they like, as long as they aren't abusive to each other here.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I pick on Neigh for his negativity from time to time.
I picture him as a "Love to Hate Howard" type more than a troll. It seems to roll with the Stern culture to some degree or another. I mean, Howard is critical of just about everything, he loves a good rant, and a good argument. So I can see where people might be inclined to follow along to a point. I don't get it personally. Like a lot of you have said, I just change the channel when I don't like it.

To each his own. People can debate and rag on Howard as much as they like, as long as they aren't abusive to each other here.

neigh is def not a troll. not at all.

of course hes a fan of the show, it just gets a little repetitive that the only time he starts threads its about something he doesnt like. but then again it would be no fun to have nothing but praise all the time.

keep on keeping on neigh!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I may have brought up "troll," but I brought it up to say he wasn't.
Agreed. I hope you didn't think I thought you were calling him that.

He's a big boy. He knows he enjoys complaining, and generating discussion/debate.
He expects people will call him out on it too, and that's OK. This forum is so much more civilized than some of the others. Kind of quiet from time to time, but civilized makes us a nice alternative.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I listen for entertainment. I don't take one thing that man says seriously. I don't listen to pick out some things and come on here and bash him for it.

My dad is a fan and has been listening for years. I asked him if the Vietnam thing bothered him. Dad is a retired Marine that did multiple tours in Vietnam. He's seen some messed up shit. So anyway he straight up said Hell no. Howard is here to entertain us and if you take anything he says seriously and not for entertainment purposes your looking for things to pick at. If it doesnt bother Vietnam vets why should anyone else care?

I know most here could give two shit's what I think but it's hard to come in the Stern forum and post anymore. You try to have a conversation and say.... hey if something bothers you that bad why keep listening. Then you get the whole people can listen and bitch about the show anyway they want.

Yea I get that. I just don't get taking an entertainment show so seriously that you have to rant about it every day or every other day. More power to you for doing it but how the Hell is that fun?

Life is to short to give a shit about the small things. I guess I just see things differently. I'm going to enjoy the rest of my life.

Sent from my Note 4

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
" I mean, Howard is critical of just about everything, he loves a good rant, and a good argument. So I can see where people might be inclined to follow along to a point"

Exactly. It's fun for him too.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I just don't get taking an entertainment show so seriously that you have to rant about it every day or every other day. Life is to short to give a shit about the small things.
I know that's your attitude about THSS, but you can say the same about this forum - it's just a bunch of guys posting stuff to pass the time, none of it affects anyone else's life. Yet I've seen you blow-up several times on this forum about stuff people have posted. Likewise, while I understand that THSS exists for entertainment, they do cover real issues and express opinions about all the important topics. And as I said above, the show exploits the actual lives of real people for the purpose of provoking reactions. That seems (to me) like the kind of stuff that merits commentary.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I know that's your attitude about THSS, but you can say the same about this forum - it's just a bunch of guys posting stuff to pass the time, none of it affects anyone else's life. Yet I've seen you blow-up several times on this forum about stuff people have posted. Likewise, while I understand that THSS exists for entertainment, they do cover real issues and express opinions about all the important topics. And as I said above, the show exploits the actual lives of real people for the purpose of provoking reactions. That seems (to me) like the kind of stuff that merits commentary.

One thing you will never see again is me blowing up. I have went off on a couple people. When I was called a liar and trailer trash for having satellite TV yea I was baited into going off on them. I went off on someone trying to tell me what I can and can't do while owning a gun. I was baited and fell right for it. That won't happen again. You haven't seen that for a long time now.

There are people here that get off on arguing and baiting people into an argument. I know you know who they are. You've had a run in with at least one that I know of. These are people that would never have the balls to say the stuff they say on here to a persons face. While talking with Hectic I finally figured that out.

I have nothing against you or Neigh or anyone doing whatever it is you do. It's just when you come on the Howard forum and see nit picking negative shit every other day it makes you not want to post. It's pretty much day after day after day. So I have to ask why in the world would you keep listening? Ask Hectic the Howard forum used to be the most popular forum here then it all went negative. I would love to post some positive stuff or have a nice conversation about the show but how can anyone? It's almost all negative. It's yea I love Howard and the show but this and this and this is wrong and this and this was wrong. Most of it is the same shit he's been doing for 20 some years. It's kind of comical. I will be more than happy to stay out of the Howard forum and let you guys do your thing.

Like I said I'm not taking anything Howard says seriously. He contradicts himself all the time. It's what he does. If you and Neigh and whoever enjoy calling him out on it so be it. When Neigh asks again why people quit posting in this forum like they used to.... my above answer is a big reason why.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The opposite of people only posting negative is Mariann from Brooklyn. I'll take negative people any day over that cheerleading BS.

This place would be worthless and boring if people just posted positive stuff and how much they liked everything. The show has so many parts that very few people will like everything done. I find it interesting how much some people like certain parts of the show that I can't stand. Howard going on for hours with his Vietnam schtick is something I hate just because I find it boring and it usually gets really repetitive when he does it for too long. I also can't stand the fake celebrities they have calling in from time to time. It's one of the few things that I fast-forward through. I don't see me hating those parts of the show as a reason for me to totally stop listening to it.