iTunes 9.0 and iPhone 3.1, iPod Touch 3.1.1

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Just wondering if anyone has installed these updates yet.

I just installed iTunes 9 and it's pretty slick.

I wish I had an iPhone so I could use the new app management feature in iTunes.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I haven't had a chance to look at it since I had school shortly after the keynote ended, but I'm downloading now. :cool:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
So far iTunes is a dramatic improvement over the previous version. I like the fact that you can arrange iPhone app icons in iTunes instead of on the phone, which is a royal pain in the ass. I have all my medical apps on one page, radio and multimedia apps on one page, and the standard iPhone apps spread out by use (Calendar on the first page, Youtube on the last).

The interface for the iTunes store is better. It doesn't look as crowded and the design is very nice. And I like the mix options for those of us who can't fit their entire collection on one device (at least not until I get the 64GB iPod Touch).

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
The new iTunes is very well organized, and I can't tell the difference with the iTouch update.

:bigthumbup:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I upgraded my iPhone to 3.1, iPod Touch to 3.1.1 and iTunes to 9.0. The installations were without any issues. I've not had any issues to report with any of my devices. I know one thing iTunes starts much faster for me. However, my iPhone CERTAINLY shuts down and restarts much faster now.

App Management ROCK in iTunes! The overall feel of iTunes is much improved. I know there are those that hate iTunes, but I've never had any issues being tied to iTunes with my iPhone and iPod Touch.

Good Job Apple!

Now I am waiting on September 25 for AT&T to do a carrier update so we can have MMS.

It seems many was not real impressed with the announcements from Apple. I think the MacRumors were basically saying that the iPod Touch would sport a new Camera and of course that didn't come to light. Really the only difference I see is that they are now going to offer a 64gb version and of course a shake up in prices. Nano gets a cam, but its yet to be seen how good it maybe. I suspect it won't be very good. Many have said Apple has lost their shine and edge most recently. In my opinion when you've set the standard as high as Apple has in many ways via the iPod Touch and iPhone it is hard to consistently always, always top it with each new announcement.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell

:D:p

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
It seems many was not real impressed with the announcements from Apple. I think the MacRumors were basically saying that the iPod Touch would sport a new Camera and of course that didn't come to light. Really the only difference I see is that they are now going to offer a 64gb version and of course a shake up in prices.

A few people over there even complained about the iPod touch not getting a camera because of the "leaked" photos of different touch cases with the center hole. There were reports on MR a few days ago talking about production problems with the camera on the touch and that may be why it wasn't announced today. I'm sure the touch will eventually get the camera update.

Nano gets a cam, but its yet to be seen how good it maybe. I suspect it won't be very good.

The Apple site shows some example videos that were recorded using the nano, and they look pretty good.

Apple - iPod nano - Video Camera - Shoot video wherever you are.

In the tech specs, it states that the camera displays 640x480 video at 30 frames per second.

The special effects on the nano's camera are cool. I'm sure they will be included in the next iPhone/iPod touch update.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
A few people over there even complained about the iPod touch not getting a camera because of the "leaked" photos of different touch cases with the center hole.

The Apple site shows some example videos that were recorded using the nano, and they look pretty good.

In the tech specs, it states that the camera displays 640x480 video at 30 frames per second.

The special effects on the nano's camera are cool. I'm sure they will be included in the next iPhone/iPod touch update.

Yeah, I guess it just seems odd they were able to pull it off for the Nano, but not the iPod Touch. I was thinking it was because the iPod Touch is so thin, but heck the Nano is very thin too.

I did look at those videos and they do indeed look very good. I am really pleased with my video cam on my iPhone 3GS. I do think you are right though they will eventually release a model with the cam. I just hate it for all those that buy now that really wanted a cam too. You can't help but wonder how many will opt to hold off, keep what they've got or go with a Nano if they don't need all the other features that the iPod Touch offers.

The sales number really blew my mind too. 30 million iPhones, 20 million iPod Touch's and 100 million Nano's have been sold to date. GEEZ! There isn't anybody in the market that comes even close. They were showing MS is now #2 and distant, distant #2 with the Zune.

Couple of cool apps released today too. EA Sports release Madden NFL 10, which is pretty much like their console game. I also see Apple approved Real's Rhapsody, which if you have a Rhapsody subscription, you can have your whole library stream on your iPhone/iPod Touch. Create playlist, search for music, listen to all their radio stations. You basically have access to their full library. Now that is pretty darn sweet!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I will get an iPod Touch 64GB model. To have my entire collection, and the ability to play Slacker and Pandora on one device is a big draw, camera or no camera.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Did I miss something, or does the Nano camera ONLY do video? Seems OK, but sometimes a snapshot might be better. I guess you can always pull a screen capture later, but those never look great.

As for App management in iTunes - hallelujah!! Stuff is either free or cheap enough in most cases that I'm always trying out something new - I'm up to 10 pages at the moment :) I'd like to see the ability to 'hide' infrequently used apps in some way, so that I don't have to delete those that I don't want but would have them around if I do want to see them. iTunes 9 at least makes it easier for me to move them to the back of the bus, so thats a good start.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
As for App management in iTunes - hallelujah!! Stuff is either free or cheap enough in most cases that I'm always trying out something new - I'm up to 10 pages at the moment :) I'd like to see the ability to 'hide' infrequently used apps in some way, so that I don't have to delete those that I don't want but would have them around if I do want to see them. iTunes 9 at least makes it easier for me to move them to the back of the bus, so thats a good start.
I have quite a few of those apps that I keep around, but don't use as much. The much more useful stuff is on the first few pages. This makes it much easier to organize than using your finger to drag apps on the phone, which I could never get right the first time. :hah: