It's good to be Ryan Seacrest

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Gotta tell ya...I'd read the TelePrompTer for a few million dollars less...:mad:

‘Idol’ Host Seacrest to Get $45 Million for Show, Image Rights
By Andy Fixmer

July 13 (Bloomberg) -- “American Idol†host Ryan Seacrest

will receive as much as $45 million to continue as emcee of the

Fox television singing competition and for rights to his voice

and image, according to “Idol†brand owner CKX Inc.

Seacrest will receive $30 million to host the most-watched
U.S. TV show through 2012, with $7.5 million paid on signing. He
was also paid $15 million for rights to his name, image and

trademarks, New York-based CKX said today in a regulatory
filing.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Do people still watch American Idol? I would have thought they would have become bored with the same old same old over and over again.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
You would think so, but actually the show does very very well.

It's not the overall ratings juggernaut that it was a few years ago, but it still scores extremely well in its target demos, and consistently commands a huge premium from advertisers.

The show attracts a lot of buzz, and the local Fox affiliates do heavy promotion and tie-ins with the local newscasts and other Fox programs. It's a real promotion machine. Add to that the fact that the production costs are relatively low when compared to a drama or comedy show, and you have a real home run.

Another thing is that the production company (19 Entertainment) contractually locks up all the contestants and participates in their potential successes for some period of time. They also do really well with the summer concert tour.

My hat is off to them. The seem to have come up with the right thing at the right time, and are milking it for all it's worth.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Good on him. I don't watch Idol, but I don't hate the guy either. He's Dick Clark for our generation.