Is Vinyl coming back?

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by TSS Taylor, Jan 22, 2009.

1. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I heard last week from Gary on the Stern show that some people think Vinyl is coming back for a specific purpose. Not that it's going to be the method of choice, but that things will be made in Vinyl a bit more than a few years ago.

I thought as many would it seemed odd until I was at Best Buy yesterday and sure enough they had about 5 Vinyl Records in the top sellers section. I think they have Coldplay and few others.

As an adult I've never had a record player or any need for one, but Ross who posts here, has a huge Vinyl collection. When I moved to Chicago I was kinda blown away at how many Record stores there are here.

I wonder if anyone here collects records and will be buying the new ones.

2. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I heard this a few months back at a record store, and even more so, I noticed a lot of local and small punk bands that come and play in my town release the cd, and a vinyl version too. They have been doing this for a while. I think there are people who like getting vinyls of their favorite bands just because it's cool.

3. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

I think vinyl will be around just as a gimmick or a novelty. It might be that the record companies are grasping at anything right now to get ANY money. I really think the industry is declining rapidly.

4. xan_user

xan_user Banned

Does BB even sell record players tho? Or receivers that will even have a phono input?:p

Maybe the RIAA realized its less likely people will rip vinyl and redistribute it illegally.

5. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

Damn things won't fit in my CD player or iPod...:confused:

:)

6. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Yes, BB sells them, and many have USB ports that facilitate ripping. I bought one last year to convert some old LPs that have never been released on CD, but I never listen to vinyl.

7. xan_user

xan_user Banned

[​IMG]creative nomad 3 (recording mp3/wav player with optical input and 4 channel output)

I have one of these and left it playing at work while I went to lunch. When I got back the 20-somethings I work with wanted to know how to open my CD player.:eek:

8. JoeTan

JoeTan Well-Known Member

I can help you out here as I am getting into vinyl myself with a friend of mine.

To say that we are REALLY losing a lot of the music thanks to crazy digital compression would be an understatement.

There is just no comparison and we will do side by side comparisons with the Ipod (256kbps)

See, my problem is I will not pay for a version of a song that's not in it's best quality and vinyl is the best you can get ESPECIALLY when you get box sets like the new Death Magnetic on five 180 gram vinyl LP albums. They play in 45RPM but are full size and have like 1 song per side.

The sound is unmatched. You can almost see the different drums being hit.

9. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

I agree with the gimmick angle to to generate an alternative source of revenue. While vinyl is durable it's easily scratched. On the other hand, album covers sold as many LP's as the music back in the day. Record label execs must be daydreaming about the good old days.

10. RossK

RossK New Member

As Taylor mentioned, I am an collector of vinyl records. I have been DJing since I was 14, so I have way more than I would like to mention. People have been releasing records all along, its not like people are suddenly releasing records again, but it is becoming more popular with indie band that may have only done digital and CD releases in the last few years. People love to collect tangible objects! You can't look at the cover art of an MP3.
    Vinyl 12" singles for DJing are probably what has kept the record pressing plants in business. Amazingly, even the major labels still release vinyl of just about every radio single they release. You may not see them at the local Best Buy, but they are there at your local DJ specialty record store or at any well stocked indie record store.

11. xan_user

xan_user Banned

I know Mix Master Mike has his own custom vinyl made, im sure others do as well.

Saying,
    "Here babe, I made you a mix record!"

Would be sooo much cooler than a "mix tape".:egypt:

12. RossK

RossK New Member

They actually sell all of those Mix Master Mike/I.S.P records commercially also. It was a big trend in the late 90s to release "Battle Records". Now, only the heavy hitter like Mix Master Mike do it because Turntablism is not nearly as hot. If I remember correctly, around 2000-2001 DJ turntables were outselling electric guitars in the major music chains at Christmas (I only know because I was the technology manager at a Mars Music store then).

13. TheScionicMan

TheScionicMan Last non-Hating Stern Fan

They had Chinese Democracy in vinyl at BB. It was $19.99!! The artwork is great tho, you can't see much detail on a CD case.

My kids see a record player and think its for making spin art...

14. Steel Cranium

Steel Cranium Well-Known Member

Vinyl today is what reel-to-reel tapes were in the 70s when vinyl was king and 8-tracks were the portable media. I still have some of those "high quality" Maxell cassette tapes that replaced the 8-track laying around somewhere. I clearly remember visiting some guys who had an audiophile older brother or dad. Listening to Floyd thru those big infinity speakers with a reel-to-reel was awesome. You can really tell the difference between vinyl listening to the bass/drum heavy bands like Sabbath or Zeppelin, where you can feel the bass in your bones.

15. xan_user

xan_user Banned

Zepp on reel 2 reel = better than drugs.

16. TheScionicMan

Yes, but Zepp on reel 2 reel + drugs = BEST

My uncle bought a quadraphonic system when he was stationed in Germany. Some of my first introductions to music were on that system, from The Who's Quadraphenia coming at you from all corners of the room to everything else we listened to getting blasted by 4 big-ass speakers, it was an experience I have yet to see matched. He also had some reel2reels of National Lampoon and some Cheech and Chong records that shaped my sense of humor as well.

17. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

My younger brother collects them. Also listens to them. :)

18. TheScionicMan

I like Classic Vinyl...

19. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Joker! Joker! Joker!

I have a vinyl collection, thanks to my parents.

As a matter of fact, I've been transferring my mom's old records to CD thanks to my new record player, which has a USB jack.

I've been (slowly) growing my own vinyl collection; so far, I have Beck's Modern Guilt and Disturbed's 7-inch single for "Inside the Fire".

The record companies have been producing vinyl forever. My cousin even owns Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral on vinyl.

20. almaniac27

almaniac27 Member

I like vinyl, I listen to a bunch of my dad's old records. I noticed that new bands were putting out new albums on vinyl when I was at the local record store for an appearance by Flogging Molly. The guys at the store brought up a bunch of Flogging Molly vinyl for people to buy and get autographed. I seriously considered buying one even though I have all of their albums on CD anyway.