Is the app crashing a lot for anyone else?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I was listening last night and had to restart the app 5 times after it crashed when changing stations. Anyone else having this issue?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've never had the Slacker App crash even once on my iPod Touch! Can't speak to the iPhone though. But I've listened to it for many, many hours and it works like a charm.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It's the first time it's happened for me, too. I haven't tried it yet today but will later.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I stopped using the iphone Slacker app because it would crash after every song. I also got a lot of login failures. It was basically useless to me. I contacted Slacker tech support and they claim the crashes were due to my jailbroken iphone. I found it odd that they said this since I never told then my iphone was jailbroken. I'm back to using Pandora for now.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Been listening for an hour now and everything is cool. Whatever it was solved itself.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yes, (You sound like Slacker Tech Support, LOL!) Is yours?

No mine isn't! But my point is they may actually know what they are talking about that there are some difference between the unbroken and broken iPhones that do cause some instability in their application. I've never really had a reason to jail break mine. You would think folks calling into them with jail broken phones and having this issue they have likely developed a pattern of this problem, which is why when you told them what was happening they made the assumption. Heck I don't know, all I know is I have zero issues with it and today alone it has run for over 9 hours and still going.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Really weird; I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Slacker iPhone app and it worked perfectly on my JB iPhone. Who knows.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Really weird; I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Slacker iPhone app and it worked perfectly on my JB iPhone. Who knows.

Yeah I was reading over on the Slacker forums and it seems to be hit and miss when you have jail broken iPhone or iPod Touch. Some say it works just fine and others say it crashes a lot. I think it may have to do with some of the applications folks are running that maybe causing the issues. But as you said. Who knows?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I have discovered today that the crashing isn't limited to just Slacker, since it's done it on a few other applications, and cover flow on the iPod. Time to hit the Apple support forums.
Posted via Mobile Device

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have discovered today that the crashing isn't limited to just Slacker, since it's done it on a few other applications, and cover flow on the iPod. Time to hit the Apple support forums.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well in one of the threads I asked the question which generation do you have and the reason I asked is because the 2nd generation iPhones and iPod Touches have had a lot of problems when compared to the 1st gen. I am so, so glad I didn't rush out and buy that 2nd generation iPod Touch (which I follow more than the iPhone for obvious reasons).

I do visit the Apple Support Forums a good bit just to keep up and it is very obvious something changed that causes a lot of issues for these 2nd gen products.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I just bought the phone a few weeks ago. It came with version 2.2 and I just upgraded to 2.2.1 which as I read should fix some performance issues. So far so good.
Posted via Mobile Device

bentstrider

Dec 6, 2008
I've been having the automatic shutdown issue with my Galaxy II Exhibit ever since I got the app.
It'll play fine for about 1-2 hours, then make some skipping noises, then shut down all by itself without any real warning.
I'm using the free version with ads, but with this sort of thing happening frequently, I'm worried that upgrading to the ad-free version won't make a lick of difference for the money.

I like the programming, I like the playlists, just getting put-off by the fact that this app seems to have a mind of its own some times.

In addition, I also have the Sirius app and it runs practically trouble-free on the same phone.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It ran fine for me on my Razr Maxx a few days ago.
It's running now ok as well. I need to cut the lawn in a few, so I'll let it run.

Have you done an uninstall/reinstall? Sometimes it can help.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Haven't had any issues on the phone. On the iPad there is a serious delay when a song changes, or I hit skip. Other than that it's been fine.

bentstrider

Dec 6, 2008
Haven't done and uninstall/install yet, so I'll try that.
Another thing I'm wondering about is if it's dependent on connections.
Where I live and drive through right now, the 4G signal tends to vary in certain regions.

Haven't done an extensive listening through WiFi only, so I'll see about that too.

I also got the Pandora app and the same thing happens to it too.:(

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Could be that too. If you have enough room on the device you can pay $3.99 for a Slacker Plus subscription and cache, which would eliminate the problem.

bentstrider

Dec 6, 2008
Could be that too. If you have enough room on the device you can pay $3.99 for a Slacker Plus subscription and cache, which would eliminate the problem.

That could be an option to look into as well.
I figure fiddle around with the "run program from..." options to get it to run from the external SD and the cache could work very well for me.

I typically use my phone for music when I'm trucking between town and this dairy about 200 miles away out in the middle of nowhere.
No radio stations and no place to mount the magnetic antenna on the daycab semis roof where it won't fall, or get blown off.