Is Siriusxm Worth Subscribing Again?

Is SiriusXM worth subscribing again?

• Total voters

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Harsh. 12 bucks a year more. Doesn't sound like much til you look at what you're already paying for per year. My folks gave it up in their car. The wife and I are sharing the cost to keep it in her car, and I use the app.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I just paid approx $150 USD for a year of the "ultimate-whatever it's called package" and streaming and I'm supposedly getting an email for a free Amazon Echo Dot, but since these reps can barely speak English, who knows.

I believe it was $60 for 6 months or double for a year (plus taxes and fees, duh.)

I'll take that deal.

Edit...and because I'm in really no hurry to get the thing, Amazon also hooked me up with $5 from their Whole Foods thing.

My year ended on 12/10/2019.

I called back up. Surprisingly, it was quite easy to renegotiate. My final fee was $129.20 ($10.76 per month) for the year of All-Access with... yup...you guessed it...my free Amazon Echo Dot has been shipped.

And I totally forgot I had that $5 deal. I'm sure it's long expired. Ha!

I guess they're really starting to love me. I figured that being one of the first 1,000,000 subscribers to Sirius Satellite Radio back in 2005, they really want my money. I don't think I've paid full price in years.

It's a shame that going to Best Buy and doing the SiriusXM gift cards for the Best Buy rewards isn't really worth it anymore. At one point, I think I was going to my grocery story to buy Best Buy gift cards to get points for fuel discounts. I'd use the Best Buy gift cards on SiriusXM gift cards and get the Best Buy rewards. I'd then use the SiriusXM cards on my service.

Alas, I think I lost some BB rewards a while ago and I tried to use a BB gift card on a SXM gift card last year and it's no longer possible, per BB policy.

Last edited:

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
It's too much. My mom dropped it in her car, and another friend let it run out too. A couple people who were on my family account gave up on it.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I really only found it useful in the car, and my round-trip commute is all of 15 minutes at this point. Plus Apple Music and podcasts, are doing well enough for me, especially considering my Favorites playlist would put a lot of radio stations playlists to shame. Apple Music radio stations and TuneIn do the trick for anything I absolutely have to hear live. And we have a local station (The Colorado Sound, the state's version of the Current) that does really well with it's format, I just skip it during the beg-a-thons, but a lot of stuff played there has made it to my favorites playlist. That and it seems like Sirius will be 100 percent Payola music channels before too long.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
The wife and I are paying half and half for it now. She loves first wave so she's locked in until she hears all the songs the channel has to offer. I use the app and she's in the car so we don't cross over from the app. One time we did.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I always listen in the car. And have the service at home with my Roku. As a matter of fact, I do talk a lot about the other services I have on the Cord Cutters thread but probably have SXM on the most during the day. Doing computer work, cleaning and while I'm sleeping.

Reactions: HecticArt

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Ya, we're looking into the roku stick I think. We have cable still but our provider didn't make a deal with nba league pass so I can't watch in the cable, only online. The roku should do the job. How does the roku stream versus the app?

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
The Roku has all the OnDemand Listening Stuff and the Xtra Channels that would be on an Onyx Plus Radio but not the Extra Xtra Channels that would be on the app. But for Non Siriuis XM related stuff , I feel real comfortable with it. I have Hulu, Netflix, ESPN Plus, HBO Now, Starz and CBS All Access

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Interesting stuff, I bought a soundbar on Black Friday and now I want to play Sirius and Pandora channels though my Roku so see what they sound like.

Reactions: MadisonRadio1

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Decided agains the roku for now. I casted league pass through my phone and it works pretty well. Between a tv stand, a tv, a stereo receiver, xmas stuffs and normal bills for the month, I'm broke. I can no longer afford to be on this site. Goodby to you all . . . for now. Ack Ack.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Hey-yo! The Johnny Carson Channel is back. It aired on Channel 105 last October and returned today on the same channel. It will run until March 31 and will feature classic episodes of The Tonight Show (1962-92) and reminiscences of comedians who appeared on the show.

1583114218198.png

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I woke up hating the app for some reason. I found myself not finding any new music for not wanting to find different channels even though they're quickly accessible. I broke open my Inno's and two of them worked. One wouldn't line up vertically when it stood upright and switched to up and down when in the dock. The other two worked great in the dock then the screen melted as soon as I took them off. So I broke out the Samsung Nexus 50 which was my first XM unit in 2007. 10 bucks at the time. It's not portable but looks nice with my stereo set up. 36 bucks for 6 months. Stocked. I needed more new music. It felt like 2007 in the house today.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Fortunately, I like Sirius XMU. And I say fortunately, because all of the other new music channels I listen to - Spectrum, Alt Nation, Coffeehouse, Loft - have significant shortcomings. XMU has shortcomings too, but I can live with them, because I also have 2 FM radio stations for new music as well.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if you were talking about newly released music, or just something different.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
They offered me a deal and I resubscribed to All access for six months at $60. Still undecided as to whether or not I'll keep it. I guess it depends on whether or not I can continue to listen on a six month/yearly installment plan like I do with Apple Music, or if they're going to make me go monthly at $10-25, which is no bueno.

I also recently got the Apple HomePod for my birthday which of course works with Apple Music, and this thing is cool. as. shit! Playlists, Albums, Favorite Songs, Podcasts and radio stations on demand. Haven't seen where Sirius is compatible with it, not sure I'd use it anyway if it was.

EDIT: Just checked and HomePod is not on the list.

Strike One!

Last edited:
Reactions: scotchandcigar

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Found a workaround but it takes quite a bit of effort. Link the HomePod to Apple TV and listen through the Sirius app on the device. But you still can’t just say ”Hey Siri, Play Lithium on Sirius” so doable, but still kinda lame.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Since we unexpectedly traded-in the Tacoma (with sat) for the Outback, Sirius saw that the old satrad was deactivated, and credited our account. The new car comes with the 4 month free trial, but my online account login was associated with the now-defunct radio.

I did receive an email from Sirius, and I had to get the new radio ID before speaking with them, but they got me set-up again. The only pain was having to listen to a 3-minute reading of the contract legal-ese by someone I could barely understand. But I got my online access back, although "mah faaav-ruts" are gone. After the 4 month period, my credit will be applied to the annual plan renewal. I think this is good, right?

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
That credit deal sounds like some sort of scam. My mom got wind of the virus channel and is considering coming back. They're old Inno 1 still kicks and they have terrestial signal up on their hill. I got nothin but am happy with my old Nexus, I'm listening to music again.

On a side note, I just visited my naturopathic physician. He says to wash surfaces and hands of course. But the masks are useless. Here's the tip. Don't sanatize your hands all day. Viruses grow in wet places like saznitized hands. Wash but keep your hands 'dry' the virus can't keep on keeping on without moisture. Stay healthy.