Is Siriusxm Worth Subscribing Again?

Is SiriusXM worth subscribing again?

• Total voters

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I thought the USA had cheap cell phone use.
Not sure why you'd think that. We're cell phone obsessed, and have a high standard of living, which includes phones for 5 year olds. Given that, what's the incentive to provide cheap plans?

I pay about $45/line for 3 lines, plus 3 phone payments, plus one insurance policy, plus taxes and fees. That gives me unlimited data, excellent coverage, and automatic international calling.

The old farts with Consumer Cellular for $20/mo get very little data, and a worthless phone.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
If you really have to jump through that many hoops to get a good deal, maybe it's not worth it. I'm on $99 for the year, if it stays that way I'll continue. I usually just go online to see what the offers are.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Not sure why you'd think that. We're cell phone obsessed, and have a high standard of living, which includes phones for 5 year olds. Given that, what's the incentive to provide cheap plans?

I pay about $45/line for 3 lines, plus 3 phone payments, plus one insurance policy, plus taxes and fees. That gives me unlimited data, excellent coverage, and automatic international calling.

The old farts with Consumer Cellular for $20/mo get very little data, and a worthless phone.
We have no competition up here. Maybe 4 companies (they each have 2-3 brands). So our rates our considered very high based upon most surveys. So I always thought the US was cheaper.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We have no competition up here. Maybe 4 companies (they each have 2-3 brands). So our rates our considered very high based upon most surveys. So I always thought the US was cheaper.
I should qualify that we stick with Verizon, the fuck-you of carriers. Where we live, which is suburban, coastal, hilly, and not very industrialized, Verizon has the best coverage. But you are correct that the other carriers are more competitive with each other. So we might pay $50/mo more than we would with another carrier.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Verizon, the fuck-you of carriers.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Years and years ago, both Robin and I had iPhone5s on Bell Canada. We had an ancient grandfathered deal of 6Mb/mo for $65 total. But the phones were old and it was time to upgrade. Unlike previous upgrades, they would not let us keep the 6Gb deal. So we said, no thanks. I went with an employee perks package with Telus Mobility. For Robin's phone, it was $56.50/month (total) for 6Gb data and so many calling minutes. I paid $800 up front and some extra money per month for 2 years for the phone. They only allowed 1 at that package price. I got a package for slightly more ($67.80 total) but the phone was only $300. I only get 3Gb data per month but unlimited calling and Canadian long distance. Still pretty good for Canada. Both of these phones were our 6Ss. This year, when it was time to upgrade me, rather than lose the deal, I bought my iPhones for me and my wife outright (11 for me, SE for my wife). I worked out what it would cost and it really isn't any more expensive .... it;s just a matter of when you part with your money.

Years ago we got our son a cell phone. We went with a cheap carrier (Wind Mobile now Freedom Mobile). Coverage sucked but price was great. $50/month for unlimited data (throttled after 10Gb) and free roaming in the USA. We upgraded his phone several years ago to some LG android phone and wound up paying an upgrade fee until 2 months ago. When I upgraded mine and my wife's phone I also upgraded him (he was having phone issues) to an iPhone SE too. Just swapped the sim card (apparently his android and iPhone used the same sim card) . We couldn't do anything to the plan since they are trying to get rid of it. They have more expensive plans or not as inclusive plans now. So also bought his phone outright. It is good we are all on the same eco-system as we can share calendars and such now. My son's is also $56.50/mo with taxes and fees.

All these rates are pretty good for Canada. Always thought they were pricey compared to what others are paying in the States. My sister-in-law and mother-in-laws have better deals but not sure what is included.