Is Sirius-XM prejudiced?

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
It sure seems like it. They got rid of Backspin and The Stobe (which played a lot of Black artists), and they have a zillion rock stations. They have also started censoring Hip-Hop Nation, and The Heat has come aboard which is also censored. The station it replaced, Hot Jamz, was not censored. Yet they still have cussing on such stations as Alt. Nation, Octane, and Outlaw Country, and Howard Stern and Opie and Anthony are allowed to cuss like sailors. What is going on? By the way, for the record, I am a white guy, but I know injustice when I see it.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
It sure seems like it. They got rid of Backspin and The Stobe (which played a lot of Black artists), and they have a zillion rock stations. They have also started censoring Hip-Hop Nation, and The Heat has come aboard which is also censored. The station it replaced, Hot Jamz, was not censored. Yet they still have cussing on such stations as Alt. Nation, Octane, and Outlaw Country, and Howard Stern and Opie and Anthony are allowed to cuss like sailors. What is going on? By the way, for the record, I am a white guy, but I know injustice when I see it.

I dont know but it is unusual what about Shade 45 is it uncensored.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
That's a question I asked Sirius about 2yrs ago when they dropped another urban channel in order to make room for a new Rock channel. Guess we gotta tune into the 80's channel, maybe after they play Billy Joel-"Tell her about it" we may hear some Public Enemy.:(:mad:

P.S. I could NEVER understand How Sirius named it's premier Hip-Hop channel after a white guy, go figure. Maybe Sirius should rename the Heavy Metal channel Snoop Dogg"s Liquid Metal channel.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
That's a question I asked Sirius about 2yrs ago when they dropped another urban channel in order to make room for a new Rock channel. Guess we gotta tune into the 80's channel, maybe after they play Billy Joel-"Tell her about it" we may hear some Public Enemy.:(:mad:

P.S. I could NEVER understand How Sirius named it's premier Hip-Hop channel after a white guy, go figure. Maybe Sirius should rename the Heavy Metal channel Snoop Dogg"s Liquid Metal channel.

I think Eminem started Shade 45., and so it was named after "Slim Shady" for that reason. But that's really funny about Snoop Dogg's Liquid Metal! :hah:

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
And XM dropped "The Rhyme"=Backspin and "Chrome"=The Strobe. For the life of me I can't figure out the reason for dropping those channel all together instead of combining them.
Maybe they needed room for all those single artist ROCK channels.

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
XM surely isn't. Trust me. You will never see this channel removed. It's black militant shit at its finest. Remove this channel and Sirius has a racial lawsuit on their hands in seconds.

The Power

mch

Nov 11, 2008
Las Vegas
Arbitron began releasing statistics for SatRad channels and the urban stations simply aren't that popular. I am not sure why Hip Hop Nation is being censored, it may show up on Sprint in the future maybe? This was the reason they gave with censoring The Pulse and other stations that weren't Hits 1.

The Power actually used to have a few decent shows back when XM was producing content for it instead of farming in hosts from terrestrial. I remember "Make it Plain with Mark Thompson" which doesn't exist anymore, because it was one of the few voices on the XM dial against the Iraq war before it started. There was still some obvious race hustling, but a couple hosts could have hosted on Buzz XM or any other talk station, but were on The Power because they were black and the channel needed content.

On the whole, it's probably no more different than Sirius OutQ.

Last edited:

Rev. Jim

I do not believe that Sirius XM is going out of their way to reduce programming geared towards African-Americans or Latinos. It really isn't a good business practice to intentionally reduce programming that could attract people who listen to it. Satellite radio is in the business to attract and keep subscribers.

They must have some evidence to show that the stations they contracted this Wednesday did not have many listeners. While we on these message boards like to hem and haw over stations that were lost or changed, the reality is we are just a small percentage --- a tiny percentage --- of the entire satellite radio universe.

While I am not completely thrilled with all of the changes to the channels I listen to, I am giving Sirius XM the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing, business-wise. They have to find some way to reduce their costs and debt because they are suffocating under them. Having satellite radio around for the long-term is their goal, and it should be ours as paying subscribers.

So, I do not believe that Sirius XM is prejudiced. They are just trying to save their business.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I do not believe that Sirius XM is going out of their way to reduce programming geared towards African-Americans or Latinos. It really isn't a good business practice to intentionally reduce programming that could attract people who listen to it. Satellite radio is in the business to attract and keep subscribers.

They must have some evidence to show that the stations they contracted this Wednesday did not have many listeners. While we on these message boards like to hem and haw over stations that were lost or changed, the reality is we are just a small percentage --- a tiny percentage --- of the entire satellite radio universe.

While I am not completely thrilled with all of the changes to the channels I listen to, I am giving Sirius XM the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing, business-wise. They have to find some way to reduce their costs and debt because they are suffocating under them. Having satellite radio around for the long-term is their goal, and it should be ours as paying subscribers.

So, I do not believe that Sirius XM is prejudiced. They are just trying to save their business.
So why is it that every urban channel removed from Sirius replaced with a ROCK channel?

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.

So why is it that every Urban channel that was removed from Sirius replaced with a ROCK channel?

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
I am mad about the editing of HHN its just irritating. I understand they took off the City and another channel xm had which were both edited, but what about sirius subs who liked our 4 unedited channels? Plus most of the hits the the heat plays are found on hits1 20 on 20 or the pop2k channel edited, so give us an unedited hits channel for HH please. Afterall what am I paying $12 for just edited music I could hear on radio? I am pissed about this. I know they have to have edited channels for kids, but come on!

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
The merger was the longest in history.

All of the Democrats in the FCC voted against the merger.

An overwhelming majority of black voters just voted for Obama... a democrat.

Democrats have an overwhelming majorite in House/Senate.

Democrats will likely soon hold a majority on the FCC.

Any future complaints, enforcement issues, or bogus claims made by the NAB, against satellite radio, will now be closely considered and plague Sirius for years to come.

This is Sirius' way of punishing black people.

Next time, ask Sirius before you vote.

I'm ClubSteeler, and I approve this message.

macfanatic010

Nov 8, 2008
So why is it that every Urban channel that was removed from Sirius replaced with a ROCK channel?

they probably looked at their demographics and found that the majority of people who listen to satellite radio listen to rock, so they decided to make more channels...

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
The merger was the longest in history.

All of the Democrats in the FCC voted against the merger.

An overwhelming majority of black voters just voted for Obama... a democrat.

Democrats have an overwhelming majorite in House/Senate.

Democrats will likely soon hold a majority on the FCC.

Any future complaints, enforcement issues, or bogus claims made by the NAB, against satellite radio, will now be closely considered and plague Sirius for years to come.

This is Sirius' way of punishing black people.

Next time, ask Sirius before you vote.

I'm ClubSteeler, and I approve this message.

HA! I loaled over that one. I loaled real good.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
they probably looked at their demographics and found that the majority of people who listen to satellite radio listen to rock, so they decided to make more channels...
I can even understand that but why does Sirius need 19 channels to cover rock and it's sub genres?