Is Sirius XM going to die?

CanuckFan420

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've been a subscriber for the last 2 years, and love Sirius! I always need my daily dose of Stern and NASCAR.

I keep hearing rumours of bankruptcy and am wondering if eventually SiriusXM will fold and no longer cease to exist? Will this happen, and if so, when?

Please stay alive Sirius! I need you!!! :bigthumbup:

dlynx

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan.
www.btlsfan.com
They have definitely been given some breathing room. However they have to hit some specific goals within the following few months and year to meet the terms of the agreement with liberty. They aren't impossible to hit, and I'm sure that everything will be fine with it, but it's not as simple as being able to ignore everything to 2012

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
They have definitely been given some breathing room. However they have to hit some specific goals within the following few months and year to meet the terms of the agreement with liberty. They aren't impossible to hit, and I'm sure that everything will be fine with it, but it's not as simple as being able to ignore everything to 2012

I'm really not sure what I view to be more worrisome, that 2012 is the end of the Mayan calendar, or that it's the end of the loan calendar for SIRIUS XM. :scatch: I think the SIRIUS XM thing scares me more :jj:

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yeah, right the end of 2010 is when it would end. So in the Year 2011 unless he re-signs he is not on the air. :(

As much as I love Howard, if his retirement is what it takes to save the company... Then, so long Howard... Thanks for the many years of laughter.

CraigW

Oct 14, 2008
Maryland
I'm really not sure what I view to be more worrisome, that 2012 is the end of the Mayan calendar, or that it's the end of the loan calendar for SIRIUS XM. :scatch: I think the SIRIUS XM thing scares me more :jj:

At least we know we'll be able to listen to sat radio until the world comes to an end!:eek:

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
As much as I love Howard, if his retirement is what it takes to save the company... Then, so long Howard... Thanks for the many years of laughter.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Without Howard, it could be a very rough two years. By all accounts, he has more than paid for himself. I know I'd be re-thinking my subs, especially if they don't bring Bubba back exclusively...

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I'm certainly happy the company is sticking around, but can't see re-subscribing as long as Mel is in charge, part of the reason I was rooting for Charlie Ergen.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I'm certainly happy the company is sticking around, but can't see re-subscribing as long as Mel is in charge, part of the reason I was rooting for Charlie Ergen.

Personally, I don't care who's managing. I only care about getting the great content I listen to: commercial-free Classical music channels with outstanding presenters and depth, Variety of pop/rock channels, US/Public news and markets, Canadian news and information channels (English CBC and French Radio-Canada).

Some of us actually love the service we are getting. This is not to say that it can't be improved; it obviously can. But for the price, it is awesome. My Cable company charges me more than twice the price of a month-by-month Sirius subscription, yet I watch much less television than I do listen Sirius!

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
You might want to read the forum and existing threads on this issue before posting! :)

Well, i'd hate to tell the mods how to do their jobs, but you do have "lock" and "merge thread" options, right?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Yeah, right the end of 2010 is when it would end. So in the Year 2011 unless he re-signs he is not on the air. :(

Correct. I don't see how people are figuring that his contract ends in 2011. Yes, the first real show was 1-9-06, but apparently I was the only one listening to that midnight phone call on 1-1-06 at 12:15 AM ET.

Howard's contract is up one second after 11:59.59 PM on 12/31/2010. AKA, at the very tail end of next year, he's a free agent.

In November 2010, expect his show to have a lot of contract discussions.

You have it wrong. Howard brought millions of subscribers, each paying hundreds of dollars per year. If those subscribers walk, Sirius is gone.

Don't blame Howard's huge contract for the financial state of the company. Blame Oprah's $55 million and Martha's millions. How much is Sirius paying them? How many millions of people rushed out to listen to those two on satellite radio? Sack Oprah and Martha. Save millions of dollars and don't risk losing a lot of subscribers.

Satellite radio needs to be the following: Bubba, Howard, O&A, R&F. Sports PbP from around the country. Uncensored music.(*)

(*) As far as "uncensored music" goes, censor the pop channels if you want to. A lot of kids probably listen to those channels. Other than that, 100% uncensored.