Is MY Stiletto 100 dead??

HarleyJoel

Oct 28, 2008
New Jersey Coast
My Stiletto 100 will not charge, even with a new battery. I checked the power cords with a volt-ohm meter and it is getting power to the unit. The unit works when plugged in but refuses to charge for any length of time making it pretty much useless for me.

SSF

Oct 12, 2008
New Jersey
www.tss-radio.com
My Stiletto 100 will not charge, even with a new battery. I checked the power cords with a volt-ohm meter and it is getting power to the unit. The unit works when plugged in but refuses to charge for any length of time making it pretty much useless for me.

Before determining if your SL100 is dead we need to see if the battery still works. Do you happen to have any friends who may own this radio so we can replace the battery?

HarleyJoel

Oct 28, 2008
New Jersey Coast
I bought a brand new battery and it (and the old one) does work but the problem is that it does not charge. I can rarely get it to charge for a minute or so but then it stops charging. The longest I was able to charge it was about 30 minutes and the radio worked fine for a little while until the battery died again.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Do you have a home dock? If so, see if you can get away with charging the battery in the slot behind the Stiletto. If that works, it's definitely your radio. If not, it's the battery.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
The stiletto 100 doesn't have an appetite for loved songs, as I've heard the SL2 does.

Just move any loved songs you really want to keep onto your Micro SD card - it's simple. And then, when you do a warranty exchange (yes, tons of us have done those on SL100's too, and lost ALL our loved songs!) you just transfer the micro card to your new receiver.

And, the strange thing is that, as many times as I've lost programmed recordings due to the S2 memory corruption issue (thank god for cassettes), I've never lost a single loved song.

vetehead

Nov 14, 2008
Massapequa NY
I bought a brand new battery and it (and the old one) does work but the problem is that it does not charge. I can rarely get it to charge for a minute or so but then it stops charging. The longest I was able to charge it was about 30 minutes and the radio worked fine for a little while until the battery died again.

Try plugging into your computer and see if it charges.

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md
Did yours come with 2 batteries one slim one big-mine did-also a good idea to do a complete shut down at least twice a week-if you bought a new battery and it still isnt working it might be dying-if so warranty exchange is probably a good idea

dnasty

Nov 17, 2008
I have the same issue with my 100. I am thinking the car dock is bad. Try hooking it to another charger, such as your computer (not sure if that actually charges), car dock or home dock and see if it charges.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Wanted to piggyback this thread with a related issue. I record every evening and listen to my favorite programs the next day. The past few weeks the battery attached to the receiver stops charging while in the home dock. Even after a device recovery the batteries charge fine in the rear slot and the male connectors in the dock a free of dust and dirt. Ditto the female ends on my SL100.

I use to think the batteries were getting too hot, but the same problem occurred after switching to another room in the house. One night I left the fan blowing on the system and there were no problems the next night the same problems.

Any advice or comments are appreciated.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Wanted to piggyback this thread with a related issue. I record every evening and listen to my favorite programs the next day. The past few weeks the battery attached to the receiver stops charging while in the home dock. Even after a device recovery the batteries charge fine in the rear slot and the male connectors in the dock a free of dust and dirt. Ditto the female ends on my SL100.

I use to think the batteries were getting too hot, but the same problem occurred after switching to another room in the house. One night I left the fan blowing on the system and there were no problems the next night the same problems.

Any advice or comments are appreciated.

It may be the dock itself which has a bad connector. Can you try a different dock?

Also, maybe I read it wrong, but did you say you kept a fan on it for 1 night and the problem went away until the next night when you did not have the fan on it anymore? If this is the case, the obvious solution is to have the fan blow on it every night. This would be an indication of a heat issue somewhere.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
It may be the dock itself which has a bad connector. Can you try a different dock?

Also, maybe I read it wrong, but did you say you kept a fan on it for 1 night and the problem went away until the next night when you did not have the fan on it anymore? If this is the case, the obvious solution is to have the fan blow on it every night. This would be an indication of a heat issue somewhere.

Posted a WTB thread in the hardware exchange forum. It gets frustrating when I miss a recording because a battery gets hot and/or the charger connection fails. I know they're not manufactured anymore since they stopped producing Stiletto's. A Soloist or Universal Executive System will be one expensive way of recording programs while hooked up to an AC connection.

I opted for the e-mail notification if/when TSS gets a hold of more hardware.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Posted a WTB thread in the hardware exchange forum. It gets frustrating when I miss a recording because a battery gets hot and/or the charger connection fails. I know they're not manufactured anymore since they stopped producing Stiletto's. A Soloist or Universal Executive System will be one expensive way of recording programs while hooked up to an AC connection.

I opted for the e-mail notification if/when TSS gets a hold of more hardware.

TSS-Radio came through with it's usual excellent service and notified me they had a refurbed home dock less than a week later.