Is it too late to get a Stiletto 2

littledover

Jun 26, 2009
Here is the situation, I have been a Sirius Canada subscriber since '06 and still have my first radio, a Sportser Replay which has a pre-FCC fm transmitter which is phenomenal. Anyway the car antenna conked out a while back and my house antenna is dead now too. I have a $500 giftcard for Future Shop and I am thinking about picking up a Stiletto 2.

I am just wondering if it is too late in life cycle for me to be picking this product up now, does SiriusXM have plans for another portable anytime soon? Being interoperable is not very important to me.

Are people still happy with their Stiletto 2 nearly 2 years after it's launch?(There's a loaded question)

Will SiriusXM still be in business long enough for me to make the investment?

And just checking the WIFI does work with Canadian accounts right? Also what bitrate does it stream at for Canadians? I don't think we can even sign up for premium yet can we?

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks, Ashley

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Here is the situation, I have been a Sirius Canada subscriber since '06 and still have my first radio, a Sportser Replay which has a pre-FCC fm transmitter which is phenomenal. Anyway the car antenna conked out a while back and my house antenna is dead now too. I have a $500 giftcard for Future Shop and I am thinking about picking up a Stiletto 2.

I am just wondering if it is too late in life cycle for me to be picking this product up now, does SiriusXM have plans for another portable anytime soon? Being interoperable is not very important to me.

Are people still happy with their Stiletto 2 nearly 2 years after it's launch?(There's a loaded question)

Will SiriusXM still be in business long enough for me to make the investment?

And just checking the WIFI does work with Canadian accounts right? Also what bitrate does it stream at for Canadians? I don't think we can even sign up for premium yet can we?

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks, Ashley

There are no current announced plans for a new Sirius portable. I am very happy with my Stilleto 2. I would buy it again today knowing what I know about it. It does have some quirks but the unit is still worth it.

I am in Toronto but went with a US sub because Sirius Canada does not offer premium internet. I believe the 32k internet stream is available for Sirius Canada subscribers.

littledover

Jun 26, 2009
Also as a Canadian Sub is there anything I need to be aware of, I mean we still get all the firmware updates and such, right ?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Also as a Canadian Sub is there anything I need to be aware of, I mean we still get all the firmware updates and such, right ?

I believe so. Sirius Canada mirrors Sirius-USAs site. I believe you can also get your software refreshes from sirius.com if the Canadian one doesn't work.

The SL2 in Canada also comes with a car dock. It was a pleasant surprise.

littledover

Jun 26, 2009
Thanks, Idratherbeskiing.

I am doing a bit of investigating on getting a US subscription as a Canadian. Do you have any advice or know what the most recent status is on this option. I know people have done it in the past but I am sure the policies keep changing.

Thanks again.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I am doing a bit of investigating on getting a US subscription as a Canadian. Do you have any advice or know what the most recent status is on this option. I know people have done it in the past but I am sure the policies keep changing.

At this point in time, a Canadian subscription still gets you free online listening. With a US sub, you'll need to fork out additional $$ to get an online stream on your computer. I think, tough, that you still get free wifi stream through the SL2 only with a US sub.

The main advantage of the US sub is that you can get the Best of XM for a few $$$ more, e.g. NHL (which is quite a popular sport in Canada...) You can't get that with a Canadian sub.

I just noticed that Sirius Canada has removed the lifetime subscription. :( That would have been a good deal, as it came with free lifetime online listening.

littledover

Jun 26, 2009
I am just wondering what the SL2 streams if I am Canadian, is it 32k or 128k. As a Canadian sub the online stream through the browser is 128k now(it's still free). Does this mean the SL2 will stream at the same for free?

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I am just wondering what the SL2 streams if I am Canadian, is it 32k or 128k. As a Canadian sub the online stream through the browser is 128k now(it's still free). Does this mean the SL2 will stream at the same for free?

I haven't been able to determine this. Apparently, when you have 128k on an SL2, its says "Premium Internet" at the bottom of the screen when listening though wifi. Mine still says "Internet", so maybe it's 32k. From what I've read in the SIR/XMRO Internet Radio forum, US subs without an internet sub ($$) seem to be getting a free 32k stream on their SL2.

Is there a good way to determine the actual bit rate by ear?

littledover

Jun 26, 2009
Do you listen via wifi at all? Does it sound ok or tinny? I will probably just get a home dock and stick the reciever on the roof anyway. Then the wifi won't be so much of a problem.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Thanks, Idratherbeskiing.

Thanks again.

I just went to the website sirius.com and signed up. I did a US lifetime and pay for the premium internet. I went with the US sub to get better internet. The lifetime sub in the US is only $399 right now.

I don't know. At the time I bought mine, they only had the 32k. It probably will. You can give Sirius Canada a call and they should be able to tell you. They were knowldegable when I called them before I did my sub. This would be a plus for the Canadian sub.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I haven't been able to determine this. Apparently, when you have 128k on an SL2, its says "Premium Internet" at the bottom of the screen when listening though wifi. Mine still says "Internet", so maybe it's 32k. From what I've read in the SIR/XMRO Internet Radio forum, US subs without an internet sub ($$) seem to be getting a free 32k stream on their SL2.

Is there a good way to determine the actual bit rate by ear?

That is correct. With US subs, SL100s and SL2s get free 32k through the SL unit itself but not on their computer. Mine says "Premium Internet" for the 128k stream.

If you have both side by side, you can notice the difference. I have not heard the 32k through my SL2 so I don't know how bad it will sound. The 128k sounds pretty good.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
I just went to the website sirius.com and signed up. I did a US lifetime and pay for the premium internet. I went with the US sub to get better internet. The lifetime sub in the US is only $399 right now.

Interesting price... It's too bad that I don't need 2 subs... Can you pay extra and get lifetime premium internet, as you can with BestofXM?

littledover

Jun 26, 2009
Called Sirius Canada, god love them, I didn't get a clear answer on the streaming but oh well. Nice to call someone in my home province (NS) though.