Is it normal for these plug and play radios to go bad?

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
Cuz I've had service since dec 2005, and my first two radios broke. the first one (xact) got so hot, it overheated. the 2nd one. a stratus, the fm receiver went out at first. then it decided not to work at all anymore after that about a year ago. can anyone recommend a good radio that might last more than a year?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Cuz I've had service since dec 2005, and my first two radios broke. the first one (xact) got so hot, it overheated. the 2nd one. a stratus, the fm receiver went out at first. then it decided not to work at all anymore after that about a year ago. can anyone recommend a good radio that might last more than a year?

I bought an XPress from TSS-Radio and have had zero problems for almost a year now:

xm-xpressrc.jpg

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
The lifetime of a radio or any electronic device isn't generally set in stone. So some people have 4-5 year old radios that are still working fine. Others may have a radio they bought a year ago that is already bad. It's frustrating and I really wish that there was one model that was easily fixable and made in a way to just swap out bad parts easily to get back to working.

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
i have one of the older starmate replays and have had it since dec 05. i haven't had on single problem with it and i swear i leave it on almost every day.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
My Sportster Replay from 2005 is still chugging along. I use it every day. The display light likes to turn off (and stay off) at random, but it works.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I bought an XPress from TSS-Radio and have had zero problems for almost a year now:

xm-xpressrc.jpg

that looks cool. how much you pay for that one? I found a starmate on craigslist from someone that lives near my job. might just buy that one. can't see myself spending real money on a nice P&P radio when I have had 2 break already.

edit, nevermind, I see thats an XM radio. I only got sirius. not best of.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
that looks cool. how much you pay for that one? I found a starmate on craigslist from someone that lives near my job. might just buy that one. can't see myself spending real money on a nice P&P radio when I have had 2 break already.

edit, nevermind, I see thats an XM radio. I only got sirius. not best of.

You should come by here and see Gary's Ball and Mets Shirt. Then I will give you a good deal on a radio.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
My Sportster Replay from 2005 is still chugging along. I use it every day. The display light likes to turn off (and stay off) at random, but it works.

Same here! I've been waiting for it to die for ever and the only issue is the screen goes dark after it heats up but I leave it on 24/7 and it's next to the bed so what do I care. Still has a FM broadcast range of about 300feet.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
Stratus SV3, the original amber screen. You might have this one.
Streamer GT3, same as Starmate 3.
We could do a Refurb Sportster Replay.

LOL, yeah thats the POS that I currently have thats broken.

I got a guy on craigslist thats gonna sell me that same sportster you mentioned. can you beat their $50 price?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
LOL, yeah thats the POS that I currently have thats broken.

I got a guy on craigslist thats gonna sell me that same sportster you mentioned. can you beat their $50 price?

Sometimes buying from the cheapest sources might be part of the problem as to why they are breaking so frequently. The one from craigslist may be a refurbished one which means it already has had one problem with it.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
This is my oldest working Sirius radio. In 6 years plus of subscribing, I have had only one radio give me any problems.

41FXX2P7HFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg