Is Howard to old to be a shock jock?

sodomite

Banned
Apr 28, 2009
He seems very dated and his interveiw checklist is the same for everyone.What shocked people in 1989 barely raises an eyebrow in 2009. They say the show has evolved so wouldn't they think the audiance has too ?

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
I don't think Howard is going for shock value anymore and I don't know if he ever really did. "Shock Jock" is just a label the media came up with to stick on him because the media needs labels for everything.

It seems like all the classic "shock jocks" nowadays are getting pretty old. Howard is young compared to the likes of Imus (68), The Greaseman (58), or Neil Rogers (66). There haven't been any younger hosts that have stepped up and replaced these guys yet. I guess O&A came the closest, but now they're relegated to the backwaters of satellite radio.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
He seems very dated and his interveiw checklist is the same for everyone.What shocked people in 1989 barely raises an eyebrow in 2009. They say the show has evolved so wouldn't they think the audiance has too ?

I like the show. I could care less how "shocking" it is. Its enteraining.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I don't think Howard is going for shock value anymore and I don't know if he ever really did. "Shock Jock" is just a label the media came up with to stick on him because the media needs labels for everything.

It seems like all the classic "shock jocks" nowadays are getting pretty old. Howard is young compared to the likes of Imus (68), The Greaseman (58), or Neil Rogers (66). There haven't been any younger hosts that have stepped up and replaced these guys yet. I guess O&A came the closest, but now they're relegated to the backwaters of satellite radio.

what about bubba? he's only 43.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I think it makes sense that entertainers just be themselves and not to TRY to act younger or something they aren't. Stern is getting older and just like most men ends up getting more calm and subdued and not as easily worked up and aggravated. It is what it is.

Can you imagine if he forced himself to the version of himself from 25 years ago? It just wouldn't fly. On the same note does Don Rickles manager tells him he needs to go on Facebook and Myspace and reach out to the younger generation? No, because he just needs to keep his generation and audience interested and they ALL will be getting older along with him. So they can RELATE more to growing up then trying to APPEAL to a younger crowd.

So I agree with Mr Pacs, he doesn't need to Shock anymore.

Reactions: Ehilbert1

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
I don't think Howard cares about the guests so he justs asks all of them the same questions to kill some time.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I agree, shocking isn't that important anymore, entertaining is, and it isn't about going brining chicks into the studio and having them shocked and pissed on or going out and causing controversy anymore. It's just being honest and entertaining towards whatever is going on.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
"Shock Jock" is just a label the media came up with to stick on him because the media needs labels for everything.
Exactly. I think the term is stupid and doesn't really accurately describe anyone on Howard's channels/The Virus or the rest of Sirius XM.

And it's especially dumb when used in relation to Bubba's FM show.
Stern is getting older and just like most men ends up getting more calm and subdued and not as easily worked up and aggravated. It is what it is.
Bubba says the same thing happened to him. Which is a scary thought imagining what he was like before. :jj:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I agree, shocking isn't that important anymore, entertaining is, and it isn't about going brining chicks into the studio and having them shocked and pissed on or going out and causing controversy anymore. It's just being honest and entertaining towards whatever is going on.

Are you sure you're not talking about Bubba?

One of the best moments from 2006 was when Richard and Sal were shocking each other's balls.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Exactly. I think the term is stupid and doesn't really accurately describe anyone on Howard's channels/The Virus or the rest of Sirius XM.

And it's especially dumb when used in relation to Bubba's FM show.

IMO, what I heard of Bubba in 2006 was what Howard might have been like back in the 80's. (I didn't even KNOW of Howard until 96 or 97.) If Bubba had "his way", he'd probably be a little bit of Howard from the 80's and 90's and push the envelope, a little bit of "southern Florida redneck" and talk about racing, and a little bit of his own deal .

What i've heard of the Virus seems more to be of an "adult comedy" channel. People always say that O&A are funnier than Howard, so in my book, the two don't even compare. It's like apples and oranges. They'd probably do a decent show if they didn't have to rely on having to bash Howard so often. People try to compare them, but I'm not sure if it can be done.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Sometimes I'm shocked about how much I laugh at the dumbest things. Sometimes, it takes me a few seconds to get some jokes, and I laugh my balls off. Those are the best.