Nature or Nurture

• Nature: He's mentally deficient

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Nurture: The little guy's missed out on a lot

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
Listening to Eric's call today, I began to wonder. Why is he so out of touch with reality? Does he suffer from a mental deficiency, or is it because his handicap has kept him from experiencing so much of life that he simply hasn't had the chance to develop those basic interpersonal skills that the average person acquires (a la Brian Peppers)? He doesn't seem retarded, but he also doesn't come across as very bright. Nature or nurture?

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
It's from all the years of finding and playing all those great sound clips, his brain is just over-saturated with them.

Wait, which Eric are you talking about?

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
ETM is just an A-Hole. I think it's nurture though. His parents probably felt bad and spoiled him, turning him into an ungrateful little troll.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

He is as emotionally stunted as he is physically stunted. This guy is 0 for 2 in those departments.

I seldom find it amusing when they pile on and abuse the little guy, he is at a considerable disadvantage in more ways then one.

Reactions: Forevernever

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
ETM is just an A-Hole. I think it's nurture though. His parents probably felt bad and spoiled him, turning him into an ungrateful little troll.

I think he is just an ass, but I think it goes beyond being spoiled. We forget that he's a 30+ year-old man. Before Howard made him famous, the majority of that life was probably spent indoors, all alone. If you don't have the chance to interact with people, your interpersonal skills are going to be pretty poor.

He is as emotionally stunted as he is physically stunted. This guy is 0 for 2 in those departments.

I seldom find it amusing when they pile on and abuse the little guy, he is at a considerable disadvantage in more ways then one.

Well said. For them, its a bit. For him, its reality.

Reactions: jamesp717

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD

If he would just show an ounce of selflessness, a shred of humanity, I would agree with you, but he doesn't. He makes it very hard to like him. I definitely pity him, but I still hate him. :D

Jgatie

Banned
Oct 14, 2008
If he would just show an ounce of selflessness, a shred of humanity, I would agree with you, but he doesn't. He makes it very hard to like him. I definitely pity him, but I still hate him. :D

I always feel sorry for him . . . until he opens that ungrateful little troll mouth. Once he starts in, I want to push that power chair off a cliff.

That being said, his "Eric's Choice" segment yesterday was the funniest shit in a long time. I was rolling.

ETM - Ehhhh, my birthday is March 11.

Artie - And ever since then, your parents refer to it as "3-11"

ETM - That's your weight, fatass!

Artie - That's your height!

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
He's somewhat mentally dysfunctional, and yes, he's been on his own way too much. He's tyrannical, unreasonable, and close minded to the nth degree. I think he's getting better, like Beetlejuice has gotten, then he goes and tries to bill his whores to Johhny Fratto and you think he's still as dumb as ever.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
How about the third option...."What the fuck are you talking about?"
Are you implying because of his physical impairment that he is also mental? Are you saying they are related? I mean...is it the 1920s?

Forevernever

Dec 3, 2008
How about the third option...."What the fuck are you talking about?"
Are you implying because of his physical impairment that he is also mental? Are you saying they are related? I mean...is it the 1920s?

I didn't say the two were related (though, as in any loosely-defined genetic syndrome, they can be; there are certainly forms of dwarfism that have mental retardation as a symptom). He just doesn't seem very bright to me and I wondered if that may be the cause of his ridiculous behavior.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I vote socially retarded. His handicap has probably made life difficult, starting from childhood with the teasing, stares, etc. He was probably over-protected (especially since he was supposed to have a much sorter life-span), and not taught how to handle social interactions.

That being said, I love to hear him on the radio. If anything, I think it's great that Howard and crew don't treat him differently than they would anyone else. Some people might think its cruel or whatever for "picking" on a midget, but in my opinion, handicaps and such shouldn't make you immune to repercussions for your actions or behaviors.

ACK ACK!

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
i picked nurture. the lil fella never really lived life. he's been in special classes and pretty much isolated from regular people his whole life. he doens't have a job or a social life, so it seems normal than he doesn't know how to interract with people and women.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I think he is just an ass, but I think it goes beyond being spoiled. We forget that he's a 30+ year-old man. Before Howard made him famous, the majority of that life was probably spent indoors, all alone. If you don't have the chance to interact with people, your interpersonal skills are going to be pretty poor.

But Howard didn't make him famous, did he? How many people bought tickets to his thing before Steve Langford's report? (Zero. Point. Zero.)

Someone else said it best. His parents probably spoiled the crap out of the guy, so he turned into this ungrateful person who thinks that the world should be handed to him.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
He probably does it up a little for the show, but who knows where that stops and the real asshole eric comes out. Plus, with Johnny Fratto in the loop, you can never be sure what's fake and what's real.