IRL/NHRA might look more appealing

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
With the economy the way it is now, I wonder how many sponsors might think the IRL or the NHRA is more appealing to sponsor a car than NASCAR?...:shock:

There are less cars in each race and there are less races. I'm sure we may see some old NASCAR sponsors in the IRL/NHRA next year.

I heard that Geico will be co-sponsoring a car in the NHRA next year. Thanks to NASCAR for forcing them out of the Nationwide Series, they have to find another place to go...:(

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I'm actually going to give the IRL some of my time next year. The IRL ought to run their races when nascar's at california, pocono, or the many 1.5 mile tracks.

But I am gonna watch some next year and if I find that more exciting then that's where I'll go.

I'll still have the truck series for my nascar fix. ;)

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
It's amazing how the truck series doesn't have to manufacture a points race every year like the cup series does. But then again, they run 11 races less and about half the distance of each race...:shock:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
If it were up to me I'd put the truck series on sunday afternoons. ;)

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Yup, the truck series has been the most exciting for a couple years now.
Nationwide wasn't to bad as well when you didn't have full time cup guys running for the championship. The last good points battle there was 4 yrs ago when Truex beat out Boyer the year before they headed to cup full time.

Dave Moody

Oct 14, 2008
Barre, VT
www.sirius-speedway.com
I heard that Geico will be co-sponsoring a car in the NHRA next year. Thanks to NASCAR for forcing them out of the Nationwide Series, they have to find another place to go...:(

Actually, GEICO is also going to be in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, as well, sponsoring Max Papis for 18 races next season. Like UPS, Valvoline and a number of other sponsors, GEICO is involved in more than one motorsports venue.

Oct 20, 2008
Cobblestone Grave
In f1 it seems there is more constructor support then they rely on the sponsors. Why can't if the economy is so bad for us to try it for a couple of races to allow other cars to have some sponsorship. In f1, Scuderia Ferrari has two drivers they have the exact same constructor/sponsor just different numbers. Can this type of thing be done here?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Actually, GEICO is also going to be in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, as well, sponsoring Max Papis for 18 races next season. Like UPS, Valvoline and a number of other sponsors, GEICO is involved in more than one motorsports venue.

That is great news. Thanks, Moody. As a customer of GEICO, that make me happy that they are staying in NASCAR and doing so in the top series...:)

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Moody is going to have the president of Furniture Row Racing on today. If FRR is cutting back next year and only running a part time schedule, why don't they just shut down the shop and be a part time sponsor on a Petty car?...:scratch:

Dave Moody

Oct 14, 2008
Barre, VT
www.sirius-speedway.com
Moody is going to have the president of Furniture Row Racing on today. If FRR is cutting back next year and only running a part time schedule, why don't they just shut down the shop and be a part time sponsor on a Petty car?...:scratch:

Furniture Row has made a HUGE investment in their own NASCAR team. Like Red Bull, they are both owner and sponsor. Their business is largely dependent on housing starts and retail sales, and both of those indicators are forecasting poorly for at lest the next 6-12 months. Based on that Furniture Row is doing what every smart corporation does under the circumstances; tightening their belts and making sure they are not overextended financially.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
Furniture Row has made a HUGE investment in their own NASCAR team. Like Red Bull, they are both owner and sponsor. Their business is largely dependent on housing starts and retail sales, and both of those indicators are forecasting poorly for at lest the next 6-12 months. Based on that Furniture Row is doing what every smart corporation does under the circumstances; tightening their belts and making sure they are not overextended financially.
I really respect Joe and his talent, but something fresh might help that team. Of course, it would destroy his mom. The morning she went off on TMD was very emotional to listen too. And I agreed with her for the most part.

acastleinthesky

Nov 7, 2008

Geico is sponsoring a cup car for some races next year with Max Papis, so that throws off your theory

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I really respect Joe and his talent, but something fresh might help that team. Of course, it would destroy his mom. The morning she went off on TMD was very emotional to listen too. And I agreed with her for the most part.

Yes. That tore me up.