iPhone virus targets jailbroken phones

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
A 21-year-old Australian man has admitted creating what is thought to be the first virus to infect Apple iPhones.
The virus, which can spread from phone to phone, changes the iPhone's wallpaper to a photograph of 1980s singer Rick Astley - best known for his hit Never Gonna Give You Up.
The wallpaper features the words "Ikee is never gonna give you up".
However, the virus can only infect phones which have been jailbroken by their owners. Jailbreaking allows the owners to run non-Apple approved applications on their phones.
Ashley Towns, a 21-year-old TAFE student who lives with his family south of Sydney, told ABC News Online he created the virus to raise the issue of security.

Australian admits creating first iPhone virus - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The only security issue here is the laziness of the people jailbreaking their iPhones.
If you go through the trouble of a jailbreak, then don't take the time to change the default SSH password probably should not be jailbreaking their iPhone in the first place.
If you don't jailbreak the phone, you don't have the security "issue".

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
I was just about to post this.

Get ready for the Rickroll, mrpacs! :rofl2:

I'm glad my iPhone is safe since I don't partake in that jailbreaking junk.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I understand that people are frustrated by the limitations on the device.
Hey, if you want to jailbreak it (after all, it's your phone, right?), go for it!
Just make sure you know what the hell you are doing first.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Like I've said before, I don't see the need to. It does everything I want it to do and more. Plus your more likely to be subject to stuff like this. This is one of the main reasons why Apple is so picky about what goes into their app store.