iPhone software 3.0 "Preview" coming Tuesday the 17th

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
We just got the announcement, iPhone OS 3.0 is coming. Set your clocks, mark your calendars. It's going down March 17th. Apparently, we'll get a sneak peak at the new OS, as well as a look at a brand new version of the SDK. Exciting stuff indeed, and we'll be there live at 10am PST (1pm EST) with the liveblog. Apple's calling this an "advance preview of what we're building," so we're not expecting anything ready to go as of the 17th, but hopefully this will allow developers to start building toward future functionality (hey, how about some push notifications?), and presumably users won't have too many months to wait after that for the real deal.

iPhone OS 3.0 is coming, preview on March 17th

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
This is exciting. I wonder when we'll actually get it though. I'm sure Apple doesn't was all the BS to happen when 2.0 came out last summer.

I hope the announce a new iPhone too. I am due in July and if AT&T has better service at my house, I'll be on board for another 2 years.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Please! Have copy and paste. Flash wouldn't hurt either, and maybe MMS for the trifecta?

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Please! Have copy and paste. Flash wouldn't hurt either, and maybe MMS for the trifecta?

I bet all those will be there. The iPhone is behind the times with those options and they need to step it up.

I would settle for MMS.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
You may want to fix your subject line, as the 3.0 software isn't coming on the 17th. They're just going to show a sneak preview of what's ahead for the iPhone software, kind of like what they did last year at this time with the 2.0 software. It will more than likely be ready by June or July.

Wow cool. Jon, Copy and paste is available through Jailbreaking your iphone. Works like a champ.
Begone, ye pirate!! :jj:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I should clarify. I don't jailbreak for the reason that I don't need to. The phone does pretty much what I want it to do. A few small things like MMS and Copy/Paste would be nice, but I've survived thus far without them. The addition of those features and Flash in Safari would make the iPhone a primary internet device, which for now Safari is only used to google stuff and look up sports scores, etc.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
MMS. Check!
Copy/Cut/Paste. Check!
GPS Turn-by-turn. Check!
Push Notification. Check!

No flash, but I block flash through Firefox on my laptop anyway. No biggie.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Now I really have to upgrade from my 1st Gen.

I was hoping they'd preview the new iPhone as well.