iPhone MMS Coming September 25th (official announcement)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
AT&T announced today that MMS will be turned on (via a software update pushed out by AT&T) for US iPhone users on September 25th.

Official Announcement Here:

AT&T Media Kit | iPhone 3GS

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5yIVgj0VVA[/ame]

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
When they said "late Summer" they weren't kidding!! That's 3 days into Autumn, so I know the peeps over at the MacRumors forums are having a field day. :rofl2:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
When they said "late Summer" they weren't kidding!! That's 3 days into Autumn, so I know the peeps over at the MacRumors forums are having a field day. :rofl2:

There and over on the Apple Discussion Forum. There are huge threads complaining about what is taking so long. Some going overboard, others being AT&T apologist.

It isn't something I will use much, but it will be nice to have it. I have a few relatives that love to send MMS pictures on occasion. In fact they've sent them since I've had my iPhone and I didn't have the heart to tell them I never got them, me with my fancy phone. LOL

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I just got the update. Sent successfully, but you can almost hear the AT&T network crashing! :eek:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just got the update. Sent successfully, but you can almost hear the AT&T network crashing! :eek:

Updated in about 2 seconds and thus far in my few test it sends very fast. Certainly not a network crunch going on here at this point. I think much of that has been hugely over blown!

It is nice to have, but it is something I will rarely use! Clearly long overdue for the iPhone!

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Updated in about 2 seconds and thus far in my few test it sends very fast. Certainly not a network crunch going on here at this point. I think much of that has been hugely over blown!

It is nice to have, but it is something I will rarely use! Clearly long overdue for the iPhone!

Do you have to update the phone sw in itunes, or will MMS just start working for everyone with an iphone? I want to tell my wife to check it out right now, but i will wait until I can update her phone tonight if that's what it requires. She has been anxiously awaiting this since she got her phone...

Jon

Dec 16, 2008

The first one I sent kinda lagged, but the next one went through just fine. :ter:

Now I DO need to get a 3GS to send video.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Do you have to update the phone sw in itunes, or will MMS just start working for everyone with an iphone? I want to tell my wife to check it out right now, but i will wait until I can update her phone tonight if that's what it requires. She has been anxiously awaiting this since she got her phone...

Yes, you have to connect it to iTunes to get the carrier update file (version 5.5)! Took about 2 seconds to download, then you need to turn off the phone and restart it. You'll be good to go!

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Yes, you have to connect it to iTunes to get the carrier update file! Took about 2 seconds to download, then you need to turn off the phone and restart it. You'll be good to go!

Right on. I'll do that tonight then surprise her with the new functionality.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well almost a month since this was released and the earth didn't stop spinning, now ain't that something! I think I've used it maybe 3 or 4 times! LOL