iPhone coming to Verizon in January

Discussion in 'iOS, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch' started by limegrass69, Jun 29, 2010.

1. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

All of you holdouts waiting for some decent coverage can rejoice! :bigclap:

From Bloomberg:
    By Amy Thomson
    June 29 (Bloomberg) -- Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S.
    mobile-phone company, will start selling Apple Inc.’s iPhone
    next year, ending AT&T Inc.’s exclusive hold on the smartphone
    in the U.S., two people familiar with the plans said.
    The device will be available to customers in January,
    according to the people, who declined to be named because the
    information isn’t public. Brenda Raney, a spokeswoman for
    Verizon Wireless, did not immediately return a call seeking
    comment. Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, and Peter Thonis,
    a Verizon Communications Inc. spokesman, declined to comment.

Now don't be sapping up our bandwidth!

The AT&T press releases in recent days touting supposed coverage improvements now make some sense.
    semipenguin likes this.
  2. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

January, huh? That's when my contract is up with AT&T. Should be fun to see Verizon explain away all the network problems caused by new iphone users.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

They'll just cap the data plans, too - no need for explanations! :)
  4. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

If true I think it is good news! None the less, I agree I think they will likely cap them before the iPhone ever gets there and that will prevent the issue from every getting out of hand for their network. It would be a win win for Verizon and Apple!

Makes one wonder how many switch switch over, not only eating the cost of the current iPhone, but the EFT and possible give up unlimited data on AT&T if they are grandfathered.
  5. Evil_Ernie

Evil_Ernie One, two I'm coming for you!

Two people, eh? Rrrrrrrrright!

Until it's announced by Steve Jobs at a keynote or on Apple.com, it's still a rumor that's been going on ever since the announcement of the original iPhone.
    semipenguin likes this.
  6. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Well, like I said, I have my contract coming up in January (right about the time this says it's supposed to happen.) As much as I didn't like Verizon before, I'd certainly have to investigate. The only thing I'd be worried about is losing 3G-like speed. And I don't know what Verizon's network is like for data nowadays, plus the prospect of losing my grandfathered unlimited data if I were to go to Verizon. Since the iPhone would HAVE to do Wifi, and there are hotspots everywhere, I'd probably be alright.
  7. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

And it's going to arrive at Verizon on the back of a talking unicorn.

The whole "iPhone to Verizon" thing has cried wolf WAAAAAY too many times. I'll believe it when I see it in the store...
  8. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Agreed that it's not confirmed yet. However, I'd consider Bloomberg to be a very reputable source of information, and I doubt they'd run with this if they did not have a good reason to believe that it's a credible story. We're not talking about some fan boy iSheep blog here.

Like I said earlier...the timing of AT&T's very recent claims that they beefed up their coverage seems suspect. Also, the early upgrades that were made available by AT&T to those wanting the new iPhone seems strange as well.
  9. GoodDog

GoodDog New Member

10. MM

MM Administrator

Woo hoo, let the rumors finally become true!!!!!!

I guess I'll wait on that Storm 2 then.
  11. TX WJ

TX WJ Intelligent Donkey

I hope its true, it will get all these damn people off my AT&T network so I can make a call:rolleyes:
  12. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

That is what I am screaming! LOL
  13. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

:scared: No! No! Stay with AT&T!!!
  14. MM

MM Administrator

:funny:
  15. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Don't worry, we're safe. With the antenna problem, they won't be able to make calls on Verizon's network either! :rofl2:
  16. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

It's all good. Just don't hold the phone. :clueless:
  17. yippeekyaa

yippeekyaa New Member

In other news Verizon announced that the i phones they sell will be offered in the Yeti or the Sasquatch version. Jack-a-lope and Griffin versions are planned for later in the year
  18. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

I'm going to wait for the Chupacabra special edition.
  19. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

ROFL.. This isn't the first such "big announcement". Interesting especially since the exclusive contract with AT&T will still be in effect. I'll believe it when I see it. Why would Apple want the iphone on VZW anyway? They can't handle the AT&T orders as it is now. Why would Apple want to burn bridges with their first U.S. carrier - AT&T? I honestly don't ever see the iphone going to VZW. We shall see.
  20. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

Yeah, let it come to Sprint instead!