iPhone and Verizon consider deal

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
This is big news on the Apple sites as well. AT&T is a year behind the technology of Verizon at this point.

Apple would have to revamp the iPhone to work on their network.

This would be huge for Apple and Verizon, bad for AT&T.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Doesn't AT&T have an exclusive agreement with Apple and the iPhone ? I'd be curious to see when that agreement expires.

dlnester

Oct 15, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Didn't Apple try to sell the iPhone to Verizon to begin with? As a long-time VZW customer I would be thrilled with this news. My "New Every Two" comes up in March 2010 so hopefully they would have the iPhone then!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Great, I just bought a new VZW phone. Samsung Omnia. Love my phone, but all of those iPhone apps keep taunting me. I've read some forums that talk about unlocking iPhones to work on VZW and some other carriers, so it can be done if you're savvy, or willing to pay a little extra for somebody to do it for you.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I feel the same way about Verizon that most people do about AT&T. I had nothing but problems with them when I was on their service, and the reception in my area stunk. No issues with AT&T thus far. Other than a $100 a month bill, but that's not their problem. :D

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The nice thing about Verizon? No GSM buzz.

I honestly would have thought that people would be going away from AT&T because of that buzz. Even during Howard's "which phone to buy?" recent discussions, I would have thought the GSM buzz would have annoyed him to no end.

Instead, you have all these people running TOWARDS AT&T and GSM. :confused:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It would be good news for Verizon, and bad news for AT&T if they pull this off. AT&T's 3G network in this area has been a total mess. They need to get it cleaned up quick. Apple is supposedly coming out with a new iPhone soon which will only put more strain on AT&T's network.

One question is whether the Verizon iPhone will be CDMA, or if they will build it with the LTE (4G) chipset to inaugurate their new 4G network that's supposed to start rolling out in late 2009/early 2010?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
My Sprint 2 years contract ends about a year from now. If Apple makes the iPhone available to Verizon, I'd be more then happy to switch over. If Apple exercise their option to stay exclusive with AT&T for an extra year, I'll stay with Sprint for until that exclusivity expires...:)

Last edited:

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
I personally am debating if I should get one since Sprint has their version of it in the instinct and I can listen to NFL games on that since they dont have a I phone app yet.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
The nice thing about Verizon? No GSM buzz.

I honestly would have thought that people would be going away from AT&T because of that buzz. Even during Howard's "which phone to buy?" recent discussions, I would have thought the GSM buzz would have annoyed him to no end.

Instead, you have all these people running TOWARDS AT&T and GSM. :confused:

I hear ya. Howard is so deep in the back of his limo, he probably isn't close enough to the speakers to hear it. I'm really surprised it doesn't cause interference in the studio when they are texting each other.

I just don't get the hype over the iPhone. The curve can do almost everything the iPhone can, some things the iPhone can't or that require an "app". Are you typing with two thumbs or poking with a finger?

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Great, I just bought a new VZW phone. Samsung Omnia. Love my phone, but all of those iPhone apps keep taunting me. I've read some forums that talk about unlocking iPhones to work on VZW and some other carriers, so it can be done if you're savvy, or willing to pay a little extra for somebody to do it for you.

Actually it's impossible to unlock an iPhone to run on VZW. AT&T uses GSM, VZW uses CDMA. Entirely different technologies, incompatible with the internal workings of the iPhone. You can unlock the IPhone and use T-Mobile though, since they use GSM too, though I don't know why anyone would want to, T-Mobile's coverage is horrible.

I actually jumped my Verizon contract about 8 month early to get the iPhone, despite my reservations about the coverage. Verizon's coverage is top notch. Just couldn't resist the iPhone any longer.

CDMA is is going the way of the Dodo, some variant of GSM will remain when 4G is finally rolled out, but I don't know how long that's gonna take or the extent of change.Verizon is dropping CDMA, that I know for sure. Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular all currently use CDMA, AT@T and T-Mobile use GSM, . Don't expect 4G and GSM from Verizon to be rolled out soon, it will take a long, long time.

In any case, Verizon has the best coverage, but you pay for it. I paid 91 dollars a month for 900 minute and unlimited text. With the iPhone I pay about 110 for 900 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited (5 gigs) of data. So the benefits and price outweigh the coverage, since I don't live in a dead zone any more. Even the Edge data is pretty snappy. (just an FYI, I upgraded a lot of AT@T's network to Edge between 2003 and 2007)

Currently most the work I do involves upgrading T-Mobiles 3G network.

Last edited:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I've got news for you...CDMA (or GSM for that matter) is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future for a couple of reasons.

CDMA has well over 100 million active handsets in North America. You can't just orphan those uers.

"4G" (or LTE) is expected to start getting rolled out by Verizon late this year and into next year. It's already being tested.

AT&T and T-Mobile are not even close to getting their 3G networks in place. T-Mobile is relatively new to the 3G world, and AT&T has well documented issues with its 3G rollout.

LTE is a data only technology. It will likely replace current data protocols like EVDO and HSDPA, but you will still need something to carry voice.

Carriers have not agreed on how to handle voice. You'll likely still end up with a hodgepodge
of different protocols. Verizon has indicated that it may keep CDMA 1XRTT to handle voice. AT&T may end up maintaining its GSM network for the same purpose. You could also do IP voice with LTE data, but carriers are not a big fan of that, and a protocol for that is still being debated.

This is a constantly evolving topic.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just don't get the hype over the iPhone. The curve can do almost everything the iPhone can, some things the iPhone can't or that require an "app". Are you typing with two thumbs or poking with a finger?

There is little doubt that there are Apple fans that drink the Kool-Aid daily and can never seen anything wrong in Apple land.

I think much of the hype of the iPhone has really come from the media and of course individuals.

I've had many, many phones over the years and when I tried the original iPhone I found it to be the most simple and easy phone I had ever used. No it didn't do everything, but what it did do, it did GREAT! The Windows Mobile phones I had over the years where pretty much trash, OS crashed or froze up. I could go on, but you get my point. I eventually returned the iPhone not because of the phone, but because of AT&T pitiful coverage in my area.

This time around I went with the 3Gs and once again in comparison to most of the Blackberries, Motorola's and Palms I had used over the years, it is just a hell of a lot better phone for what I do day in and day out. Finally AT&T's network is much improved, still not perfect, but once they buy my local carrier with the 850Mhz the coverage will improve and plus this will give them towers in the rural areas for rock solid coverage. For me coverage is king moreso than the phone itself. But there is nothing wrong with having great coverage on a phone that is great to use.

I don't drink the Apple Kool-aid, but I sure like this damn phone compared to every other phone I have ever used in my life. I admit I've never used a Storm, but I know some who have and I've played with it. In my book its just okay. There is no doubt that RIM makes great phones!

When you consider these companies. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint... there are horror stories on all sides and there are those that swear by them. It just seem to be the luck of the draw! While you say Verizons CS is better, there will be another guy that says... that isn't my experience. LOL I know that on any given day I can get poor or great service no matter which carrier I use.

By the way typing, I do the two thumbs in landscape mode, but I can also do the one finger quick type in portrait mode if necessary. I like having the option of both! My biggest gripe about most of the newer is I just don't like the keys.

Reactions: limegrass69