iPhone 3GS - is it worth an upgrade from the 3G?

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
My guess is no. I am disappointed in the new iPhone. Not really any hardware changes, just software. I guess I expected a little different looking phone.

I still have my "new" 1st Gen (Apple care rules) that I got a week ago.

I will upgrade my software on the 17th like everyone else.

I am pretty sure that I will be moving to Verizon in July.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I'll probably be keeping my phone as it is and just upgrade to 3.0 since it'll cost me $499 to get a new phone. I'll be eligible for a discount on 6/17/2010. Maybe then.

I WILL however, be buying a Macbook pro since they've dropped the price. Probably the upgraded 15" or the 17".

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I have a 13" Black MacBook from late 2007. The new 13" MBP looks nice and with an ed discount and free iPod, it is looking much better!!! :)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I have a 13" Black MacBook from late 2007. The new 13" MBP looks nice and with an ed discount and free iPod, it is looking much better!!! :)

I've got that same computer. I won't buy mine until October so I doubt I'll get the free iPod Touch, but my old iPod 80GB needs replacing. I'll probably go for the 120GB Classic, unless they have some higher capacity by then.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well if I decide to go with an iPhone naturally I would get the 3Gs 32gb. For me my local is eventually going to be AT&T anyway... so my contract is up and it really wouldn't matter if I jump over now or wait to get migrated over. This new phone looks good and I get A+ signal for AT&T in my home. Since I don't have a home phone that is important.

I was kind of thinking they'd do some changes to the iPod Touch, but I guess not. So, that makes my decision a little more easy.

I really didn't expect them to change the look of the iPhone, I mean the design really couldn't be much better, so I can't imagine what other form factor they come up with and keep the nice display and sleekness.

Verizon is no option for me because in my area they have no coverage other than through AllTel, which I hate and they have terrible coverage way worse than AT&T.

Also the $99 8gb iPhone is a smart move.... I think there were be a lot of new iPhone owners in the coming weeks!

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Go for it DAB. Since you have good service now.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but I talked to an AT&T engineer about my area. It will not change for me for at least 18 months. This is why I'll probably get the Storm on VZW.

BTW, the iPods will probably change in September (they usually do).

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Just a word of caution I will hook you up with a guy that is here on the forum that works for Verizon and he has told me the Storm is horrible and he says he would recommend folks stay clear of it big time. I'll let him tell you his reasons why. I just want to ask him if he is okay with me giving you his info.

I understand that not having coverage with a great iPhone doesn't mean a whole lot which is why I returned mine original first generation iPhone. You got to go with a service that can provide you coverage, I think for you adjusting to something other than the iPhone will likely be hard. Still there are many other great phones out there. For a long time now I've just done the iPod Touch with my great little Motorola Razr 2 V8 and its been a great phone for me.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Wait, it has a compass?!? I'll put $300 down for that in this economy! But really, call me when there's both 3G & Wi-Fi on it, then I'll take a look...

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Wait, it has a compass?!? I'll put $300 down for that in this economy! But really, call me when there's both 3G & Wi-Fi on it, then I'll take a look...

It has both 3G and Wifi, just like the previous one did. Only the original one didn't it has just edge and Wifi.

I not only took a look, I placed my order tonight for a black 32gb G3s! I've been wanting one of these for over 2 years, screw it, I down with it now! I am being told that my local regional provider purchase by AT&T will happen any day now. So, even if the coverage initially isn't great, I can live with it till that happens. I get great reception at home and at my office with AT&T, so those are the main ones anyway.

It says it will arrive at my office on June 19, so I'll be ready!

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
I will be getting a 32GB Black 3G S myself next weekend. My first gen iPhone has been great to me and the new one will be even better! :buttrock:

*Edit: Skip that...I just did the pre-order as well. I will be coming back from Philly that day and it will be ready for me when I come home later that evening.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
You have it shipped or you picking it up at the Apple store? I decided to have it shipped because the nearest Apple store is like 2 hours from me. I guess I could have taken the trip, but oh well!

For you it should be pretty seamless just insert your sim card and go. I am getting my phone number ported, so I hope it is smooth! I assume they won't do that till I actually get the phone and go through some process? Does anyone know?

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
It has both 3G and Wifi, just like the previous one did. Only the original one didn't it has just edge and Wifi.

This is true.

For you it should be pretty seamless just insert your sim card and go. I am getting my phone number ported, so I hope it is smooth! I assume they won't do that till I actually get the phone and go through some process? Does anyone know?

It will come with the SIM card in it. You will set it up in iTunes. But if you get a discount from anywhere you might have to take it to an AT&T store.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
You have it shipped or you picking it up at the Apple store? I decided to have it shipped because the nearest Apple store is like 2 hours from me. I guess I could have taken the trip, but oh well!

I had it shipped since the Apple store will more than likely be closed when I get back from my business trip.

Like MM said, it comes with a SIM card, but the activation process should be smooth. I recall that you had the first iPhone for a day or so before you had to return it due to bad coverage, but the activation process should be similar...plug it in to your computer and open iTunes, then follow the instructions to port your number over.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Yeah...Avoid the Storm. There are well documented OS flaws, and the build quality is less than stellar. You'll end up with dust and lint under the bezel. That would drive me nuts.

The Storm 2 is coming out later this year and is expected to remedy those problems, plus it is expected to have wifi. That would make it the first wifi capable Blackberry with Verizon.

I am waiting for the new BB Tour (9630) which is supposed to drop in July. I have a 8830 which is memory impaired. There's not nearly enough to run all the apps I need (and it has a memory leak to boot). I've also read some rumors about a 99XX series that is expected in the 4th quarter. Lots of good stuff coming from RIM.

Unless you are a real device junky, I don't see the need to run out and by the new iPhone. Wait for the prices to come down. My wife has the 1st gen iPhone (EDGE only) and is perfectly happy with it. Our cable operator has a pretty widespread wifi footprint in our area, and she jumps onto wifi if she's doing any meaningful web browsing. She could care less about streaming audio or stuff like that. So, the EDGE version is fine for her.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Just to let everyone know. I have found out that you can not tether to computers if you have at&t service

I tether my 3G to my computer right now with PDANet. The 3Gs tethering capability WILL eventually come to AT&T...just not right away. Hopefully by end of Summer along with Picture MMS.