Internet radio feed on Grace Wireless Internet Radio

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
I currently have a Sportster Replay set up in my living room. It has the home docking station and is directly wired into my receiver. We use it a lot and it works well for our needs. Since its a P-n-P unit, I thought I would use it in various vehicles. However, I have RARELY done so. Over time, I just wound up getting independent tuners for two of my other vehicles. I find it easier and no messing with numerous wires & window harnesses hanging. Therefore, I haven't needed (or used) this Sportster Replay in any of the vehicles like I originally planned.

I'm looking at possibly getting the Grace Wireless Internet Radio for the living room as a permanent fixture to replace the Sportster Replay. My thinking here is that I would just use a premium internet feed for it. Therefore, saving on a subscription cost. Due to SIRIUS changing their policy for the internet stream service ($2.99/month), I'm gonna have to get a premium internet subscription eventually here anyway (since I listen at work) so I figured I might as well utilize it in this fashion too.

My question is this; Will this Grace radio keep the internet feed tuned to one station indefinitely? Or will it cut off after about 90 mins of inactivity like their free online feed does. Or does the premium internet feed not ask after 90mins of inactivity. I haven't gotten the premium internet option yet so not totally sure. I'm also assuming this online feed can't be used in two locations at the same time, right? This usually won't be a problem for me cause I listen to SIRIUS online at work during the day (8-4pm) and usually at home in the evening (6pm+).

Last edited:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
You definitely can't use the same on-line subscription in two different places at the same time.

As far as the length of streaming goes, I have the premium streaming subscription on my Sonos, and it has never, to my knowledge, cut out due to inactivity. I've used it for hours at a time. However, I will say that now and then it does cut off for no good reason...which can happen from time to time with any streamed content.

mcf57

Dec 5, 2008
Yea, I figured you couldn't use the same internet feed in two locations at the same time. Good to know the premium feed doesn't cut off after inactivity (aka, changing channels). I would imagine the Grace radio has some sort of sleep feature though, right? We keep our SPortster Replay on 24/7, but not sure I would want to keep the Grace radio on all the time. Not only for being able to stream at work, but eating up all that bandwidth on my Comcast account (250GB/month limit)

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
The downside to the Sonos is that you can't stream 2 different Sirius channels in 2 different zones at the same time (the Sonos is a multi-zone system). You can have the same thing play in 2 places at once, but 2 different channels at the same time is a no-no.

I have not seen too much written up on the Grace Radio. If you decide to take the plunge, let me know how it works out. I'd love to hear your review. Maybe you should see what app (if any) they come up with for the iPhone/iPod Touch as an alternative to the Grace. You can take the iPod on the go, and hook it into your aux stereo inputs while you are at home. Just a random thought.

Skip

Feb 19, 2009
We have 2 Grace Radios and you can listen to different Sirius stations on each of them at the same time on the same internet subscription along with listening on computer too if so desired. I guess as long as it is the same IP address you can listen to different stations at same time. The stream does drop from time to time but not from inactivity.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
We have 2 Grace Radios and you can listen to different Sirius stations on each of them at the same time on the same internet subscription along with listening on computer too if so desired. I guess as long as it is the same IP address you can listen to different stations at same time. The stream does drop from time to time but not from inactivity.

That's good to know. I thought Sirius really clamped down on multiple logins.

jduffy

May 2, 2009
Yea, I figured you couldn't use the same internet feed in two locations at the same time. Good to know the premium feed doesn't cut off after inactivity (aka, changing channels). I would imagine the Grace radio has some sort of sleep feature though, right? We keep our SPortster Replay on 24/7, but not sure I would want to keep the Grace radio on all the time. Not only for being able to stream at work, but eating up all that bandwidth on my Comcast account (250GB/month limit)

Go with another Internet provider if your current provider limits your bandwidth. I would not put up with that garbage.

dlnester

Oct 15, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
The Grace radio has a sleep timer you can set. It is located under the alarm clock setting. You can get all the Sirius feeds, but also thousands of other radio stations across the globe. It really is a neat radio and I'm glad I purchased mine. I listen to KROQ HD-2 in LA a lot online (Roq of the 80s)

Every now and then the Sirius stream drops... it isn't very frequency but all you have to do is change the channel and it comes back. It is random, but it doesn't do it every 90 minutes... maybe every 4 hours?