Internet for your car is one step closer to reality

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Internet for your car is one step closer to reality

Published about 21 hours ago

internet_radio_default_scaled.jpg

Internet hot spots are already available in some models of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge, the Volkswagen Routan and Cadillac CTS vehicles as a dealer option. Autonet Mobile, maker of a Wi-Fi hot spot for the car, has created an OEM developer kit to allow its “hotA†spot to be embedded in new cars. According to Reed Business Informaton’s Twice Magazine, the Autonet hot spot produces an EV-DO cellular connection that is then converted to Wi-Fi, allowing anyone in your car access to the internet on a number of devices. Users in a car can watch YouTube, check Facebook and listen to internet radio, all at the same time.

Radio-Info.com

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It's a good idea, in theory, but it has a long ways to go.

The problem with a product like this is that it is going to be hard to get people to pay up for the required mobile data connection to the cellular network. That can run anywhere from $30-$60 per month right now (with a 5GB cap). Those prices will have to come down. Plus, those data connections are not robust enough to support all of those simultaneous streaming data services while on the move. In addition, the cellular network providers will have to invest substantially in infrastructure and backhaul to carry all that data.

People already are up in arms about paying $15/month for satellite radio. I can't see paying all that extra money for a hotspot in my car. Plus, it's my one last fortress of solitude! ;)

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
The infrastructure just isn't there to carry all that data nationwide. Yet, of course. It's going to take loads of dough to build out for all of us to stream youtube videos in our cars rolling down the highway at 65 miles per hour.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This all assumes you want to pay those cell phone charges for data.

I think it's all going to end up on our cells anyway. GPS units will go the way of the dodo bird, our satellite portables, MP3 players, everything. I think the direction that we'll see most of this stuff evolving into is that our cells will interface with and control our cars displays. The in-dash LCD screens will show what's on your cell screen and act as the output to everything you pay for on your cell. Nobody will want to pay twice for separate services.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I can't wait for people in other countries to be able to get the online feed of SIRIUS XM ;)
Time for an all David Hasselhoff channel geared towards Germans.

Content is king. I'm not a fan of searching for Internet Radio stations. So many are hit or miss. In the coming era I'm sure some will truly brand themselves well but this may end up boding fairly well for SIRIUS XM whom could pick up a great deal more business.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I can see this replacing satellite radio, or I see satellite radio becoming apart of it. Essentially ditching the satellites and going all internet. Denying that it's coming isn't going to slow it down. In some cases, it's already here, as the article attests.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I can see this replacing satellite radio, or I see satellite radio becoming apart of it. Essentially ditching the satellites and going all internet. Denying that it's coming isn't going to slow it down. In some cases, it's already here, as the article attests.

I think it will supplement satellite radio. The question is what devices will we be using to receive it.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
You aren't going to see stand-alone satellite radios just like stand-alone MP3 players and Phones are becoming a thing of the past. The XM iPhone app and Skydock are good starts. But that means your Stilleto or XMP3 will soon be obsolete.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008

Too bad they don't even have a good Sirius solution for Blackberry, the largest smart-phone platform out there. I like Sirius music but without Howard and/or Bubba, I can be just as happy with Slacker.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
You aren't going to see stand-alone satellite radios just like stand-alone MP3 players and Phones are becoming a thing of the past. The XM iPhone app and Skydock are good starts. But that means your Stilleto or XMP3 will soon be obsolete.

Perhaps. But for me, I am not willing to pay $$$$$$ per month to get streaming content in the car. If they stop using the sats, I will just hook in my MP3 player and ditch satrad altogether (for the car). I use WiFi where it is 'free' or already paid for. satrad is cost-effective for me to have streaming music. I refuse to pay significatly more.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Great, this is the last thing some of these dumbass drivers behind the wheel in this country need.