Internal antenna broken?

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I have a SL2 which I bought late last winter. I was using non-antenna headphones and it could get satellite radio, even in my house. One day in the spring, I switched it over to satellite mode, and it didn't work. I tried a few things, but it wasn't much of a big deal, as I used it on Internet mode most of the time anyway.

In July, I was up on my neighbor's roof and could get a satellite signal with non-antenna headphones, so I figured things were being blocked by the trees.

Yet now, the leaves are all gone and I still can't get a satellite signal outside.

Any ideas?

hornet130

Nov 8, 2008
Not Good

I had this exact same problem. I live close to quite a few repeaters and noticed that one day, I couldn't get reception in my house to save my life w/o the headphones or a dock. Even outside, it just said "Acquiring Signal."

I went to BB and swapped it out as part of my extended protection plan. How long ago did you buy it? You may be able to take advantage of the warranty.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
It is very rare to get any sort of acceptable reception without the headphone antennas if you do not live near a repeater. And in the house, in sat mode, is about impossible, so you likely do live near a repeater.

If you do live near a repeater, I'd try to find out if the repeater went down, they often have problems.

Do you have any other radio like a sporter where you can look at the meters to compare terrestrial and satellite signal strengths?

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Yeah, my Starmate 4/SUBX1 combo unit is mostly all TER all the time.

I think ClubSteeler is right though. The internal antennas are awful for everyone, everywhere.